JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How to handle a telemarketer

DancesWithWife

I had a telemarketer call me yesterday about a survey that concerned my "community". I asked, "what community does it show I live in"? She said, "one moment please". I said, "you're calling me about my community with a survey but don't know where I live"? Goodbye. Someone later called about our loan application to help us complete it. I kind of enjoy get spam calls.  

Of course, if this was in our phone ministry, we would have been happy to have talked to the "Sheriff Department Fraud Division"

357117989_10229436724572331_5866143841805609544_n fraud dept(1) EARL.jpg

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

A Forum member by the user name bohemian, now deceased loved spam call.  He counted it as part of his telephone witnessing. It went like this.

hello

blah blah blah - cold caller

Actually, I keep this number reserved for people wanting to know more about the Bible.

I offer free Bible discussions which answer many of the questions which perplex people today:

Such as:

Why is there so much suffering in the world?

What is the purpose of life?

Why is the world so full of trouble?

Why do we grow old and die?

Will God tolerate dishonest people in the new world?

Would you be interested in knowing the answer to these questions?

WAIT FOR A RESPONSE

Did you know that the Bible says you can live forever on earth?

Chris was able to get return visits upon interest shown.  He was excellent at telephone witnessing and encouraged others to do it.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

• 3 months later...

When we get these calls on the landline phone we have a script it goes like this: "Hello, are you calling about the bible education course we are running. We are still taking applicants", there is a notable silence and then the line oes dead. Except that on one occasion, it lead to a 20 minute talk with someone on the other side of the world!

Edited by Mike047

There was a time where most Australian's usually got a couple calls a week from Telemarketers based in India, and they rang at the oddest hours. It got so bad, that the Australian government had to act and brought in laws regarding telemarketers and also had a website where you can register not to be called on by telemarketers. I knew a bank manager who found a way to deal with these telemarketer's and he related how he did it.

Whenever the phone rang, he picked up the phone and waited to hear the person on the other line to speak first, and if they did and they had an Indian accent, he replied exactly what that person said with the same Indian accent, whether it was male or female. At first, they would repeat what they say and he would repeat it as well, which it seems it sounded like an echo on the line. After some time, they will say something else, and he would repeat whatever they had said, even if they spoke their mother tongue, he would repeat it. He said after a couple of minutes they would hang up. And if they called again within a few mintues, he would repeat it again. He said after about a month, he never got a call again from a telemarketer. He did have a great talent for doing Indian accents, and he roughly knew what part from Indian that they may have called from, as he spent a lot of time dealing with those from the sub-continent in his younger life. He likes the people, but he didn't like telemarketers of any kind.

Edited by Pabo

In the USA we can put our number on the national 'Do Not Call' Registry, which makes it illegal to call phone numbers on this list. After that most telemarketers will stop calling. Anyone else who did can be reported to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) who would eventually prosecute them, though with limited effect, as they often spoof their numbers.

I never would have thought to use that as an opportunity to preach to them, though, I guess I found a new preaching avenue to use. Very interesting indeed.

Sent from my Power Armor 13 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, IcemanEli said:

In the USA we can put our number on the national 'Do Not Call' Registry, which makes it illegal to call phone numbers on this list. After that most telemarketers will stop calling.

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Officeyou are kidding me right GIF by Show Dogs MovieGIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

If you sign up for the "Do Not Call" Registry, that is how it is supposed to work ... but it is far from reality. There is a really large loophole in that registry. If you do business or have a "relationship" with a "sister" company of the telemarketer, they can call you all they want. So, if you bank at the same bank they do, they can still call you.

Also, non-profits, political and a few other types of callers are exempt from the list and can still call you.

Likewise, if they are in a different country, the US Don't Call doesn't apply to them.

They have all sorts of ways they can legally get around the Do Not Call list or they just don't care and call anyway since the US Gov't doesn't really enforce the DNC list.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~