JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I actually haven't grown it yet. FaceApp did that for me 😁

I was JUST gonna recommend https://www.faceapp.com/!  I did it to many of my congregation's brothers yesterday - they were delighted! :D I was impressed how the app picked up the proper hair colors for the beards; it was really realistic. Friends, it's a great way to preview how you or yours might look with a beard. ❤️ 

I hope some go for it... it really enhanced most appearances (one brother was a definite "no", however).  I've heard tell that beards are the push-up bras for men.. 😉  

34 minutes ago, Hope said:

I was JUST gonna recommend https://www.faceapp.com/!  I did it to many of my congregation's brothers yesterday - they were delighted! :D I was impressed how the app picked up the proper hair colors for the beards; it was really realistic. Friends, it's a great way to preview how you or yours might look with a beard. ❤️ 

I hope some go for it... it really enhanced most appearances (one brother was a definite "no", however).  I've heard tell that beards are the push-up bras for men.. 😉  

Which one works for me?

download_20200412_202830.jpg.a514accab87cd2d4d8828e97de7ba4bb.jpgPhoto_1585685247232.jpg.f15aea4b026b016f7c9836ee8da547ef.jpgPhoto_1585686217870.jpg.1999410a280d81c567fe30c40626082c.jpgPhoto_1589668441443.jpg.a7bdf4312c472cf89ab4e30dc6c3522f.jpgPhoto_1622010601317.jpg.9b7af86b0ccda6c195d51245ae98be78.jpgPhoto_1622010658446.jpg.f41e7a6a78553caf0e7fcbac142e0c04.jpg

I just started watching the "Inside Story" and noticed Brother Splane has started growing a mustache. Brother Mark Numair had some facial hair in one of his parts.

Screenshot 2023-12-18 140220 splane(2) crop.png

"Laughter cannot mask a heavy heart. When the laughter ends, the grief remains."-Proverbs 14:13 Living Bible Translation

41 minutes ago, Julsey said:

Not my point! 

Yep, I'm super happy for the brothers, and I don't "mind" shaving in the sense that I wouldn't stop, but hair removal/management is a massive pain in the neck (and legs and pits and everywhere else) and can be extremely time-consuming, painful, and expensive for women, especially if you have certain genes. There's a lot more and complicated surface area to consider, lol. If it ever somehow became a non-issue, it would be a huge relief.

Edited by Esined

19 minutes ago, Esined said:

Yep, I'm super happy for the brothers, and I don't "mind" shaving in the sense that I wouldn't stop, but hair removal/management is a massive pain in the neck (and legs and pits and everywhere else) and can be extremely time-consuming, painful, and expensive for women, especially if you have certain genes. There's a lot more and complicated surface area to consider, lol. If it ever somehow became a non-issue, it would be a huge relief.

TBH - I wasn't aware it really *was* an issue.  Where I grew up, many sisters didn't shave their legs and it was considered attractive by men.  I can't speak to the pits.. but shaving does help reduce odor...

I doubt any sister has been restricted from any privilege because she didn't shave, so that's the real issue settled by the Update, I think.  If it's truly a problem regarding pain, money, etc... I don't see why she can't stop doing it if she wants to.  :shrugs:

25 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

I just started watching the "Inside Story" and noticed Brother Splane has started growing a mustache. Brother Mark Numair had some facial hair in one of his parts.

Interesting considering it was filmed over three months ago as it was originally broadcast/livestreamed on Saturday 9 September 2023 🤔

2 hours ago, DarinS said:

Why

not troublemongering - just wondering why you think its a family decision instead of personal?

(i don't have to worry - my wife says she would loVe to see me in a beard, but my daughter dislikes the idea.)

---and i do agree that its best if married couples discuss their feeling/preferences....

then again we dont discuss as a family if they should wear or not wear makeup

--i trust them to act modestly and not bring any dishonor to Jehovah's name

we also dont discuss whether my son and i should get a haircut to a certain length

now if we were dressed poorly - it is the obligation of the parents or head of house to address a poor choice in hairstyles or clothing...

but that would apply to modesty, perhaps tight or loose dress or not wearing ripped nor dirty jeans or not to get a worldly fad style haircut

wouldnt a beard be closer to the personal choice of.....do i wear a necktie or a bow-tie

and then the beard wearer should ask - Does THIS beard look modest and is it well groomed.....

I think the beard should be discussed with a wife at least as much as her cutting her hair is discussed.  I know of MANY husbands who would lose their minds if their wife cut their long hair - it's a big, hairy deal (pun intended :) ).  It means a lot to some.  I know many who have strong opinions about the make-up their wives wear.

Even the bow-tie... I am not a fan of them and I'd let my husband know that.  If he still wanted to, he could, of course - but he'd have the knowledge that I don't think it's a fine fashion choice. :D  He can do with that knowledge what he will..

3 hours ago, Mykyl said:

I think it might be a little while for that. I don’t imagine they will be in the early bunch. 

If it would come through grey like this image filter on me then I might actually go for it finally. 🤷‍♂️😊

IMG-20190515-WA0000_Original.jpeg

Or this. 😊

IMG_9849.jpeg

Introduce me to this app, please 🙏 🙂 

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Just for fun, who do you think will be the first brother on JW Broadcasting with a beard?

I don't see any in the foreseeable future. They would all want to keep the status quo, for the sake of being "exemplary", perhaps? But if I had to stretch it, maybe Mark Noumair, Ralph Walls, David Schaffer, Robert Luccioni or Sam Herd???

Edited by truce

36 minutes ago, Parale said:

Interesting considering it was filmed over three months ago as it was originally broadcast/livestreamed on Saturday 9 September 2023

Are you saying the Governing Body had inside knowledge about the announcement? On both those brothers I mentioned you have to look real close to see that facial hair!🤠🤣

"Laughter cannot mask a heavy heart. When the laughter ends, the grief remains."-Proverbs 14:13 Living Bible Translation

Side point: I have a very strong feeling that if Brother Anthony Morris were still on the GB, he would gleefully have done this update no 8. There's a way with him that I will miss. 

4 minutes ago, truce said:

Who is Bobby Looch? I thought Curzan was your favorite. I also expect that Jesse Morris might take a beard. 

Would you mind sharing a picture of Bobby Looch? I haven't seen him in any video. 

41 minutes ago, Eejay said:

They are not forbidden now. More culture issues!

They were never forbidden, just not generally acceptable for meetings or service in the US. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Hope said:

TBH - I wasn't aware it really *was* an issue.  Where I grew up, many sisters didn't shave their legs and it was considered attractive by men.  I can't speak to the pits.. but shaving does help reduce odor...

I doubt any sister has been restricted from any privilege because she didn't shave, so that's the real issue settled by the Update, I think.  If it's truly a problem regarding pain, money, etc... I don't see why she can't stop doing it if she wants to.  :shrugs:

Non issue here too ... some do but most don't. Neither is makeup a must. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."