JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Board games for JW's (no magic, spiritism or violence)

New World Explorer

IT’S GOOD TO take a break from screens every now and then. The great outdoors has plenty to offer, but there are times when you’re stuck inside for one reason or another. Board games are a fun way to gather everyone around the table to engage in some group escapism.

My family has had a board game night most weeks for a couple of months now, and we’ve discovered some great games.

Here is first recommendation:

How heavy is the game? Well, from scale 1-10 I would place this one at 3. (anyone can play) 

How fun it is? I would rate this one as 6 out of 10 

Highly recommended. 

Hey! That's My Fish - I recommend 2023 edition (much better production) 

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8203/hey-s-my-fish

images.jpeg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Earth (this one is medium weight game - will require some focus to learn rules) 

Very good game! (not really for kids) 

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/350184/earth

71n+UCdQlNL._AC_SX569_.jpg

61NUJIEJXJL.jpg

71uOvgaVo4L._AC_SX569_.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Get On Board 

2022 UK Games Expo Awards

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/347013/get-board-new-york-london

Ah, here’s the bus! Hurry, grab a seat, and get out of the rain! Just like every trip, you're fascinated by all the other passengers on board: tourists, professionals, students... They're all traveling together, though they each have different destinations. This bus line is truly special, but will it be able to transport everyone safe and sound?

In Get on Board: New York & London, you have twelve rounds in which to build the best bus line in town. Each round reveals a new card that shows each player the route shape they must complete. Place your bus accordingly on the central board. Take the passengers where they want to go by connecting them and their destination to your bus line, avoid traffic, and gain as many victory points as possible!

download (2).jpeg

download (1).jpeg

Another fine game is : Welcome to your perfect home. 

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/233867/welcome

We had blast playing this last Friday with some pioneers.

81Cq8-q3L+L._AC_SX569_.jpg

Another highly recommended clean board game is Cascadia.

Cascadia is a puzzly tile-laying game featuring the habitats and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest! In Cascadia, players take turns building their terrain and populating it with wildlife. Players must create a diverse and harmonious ecosystem – each animal species has a different spatial preference and each habitat must be placed to reduce fragmentation and create wildlife corridors.

Cascadia is a tile and token drafting game for 1–4 players. It involves a dual-layer puzzle that progresses over time as more habitats and wildlife are added to each player’s individual ecosystem. Players score points by creating the most harmonious spatial arrangements of wildlife, and also by creating the largest contiguous habitat corridors.

61K-+ijBmmL._AC_SX569_.jpg

61VY-5Yq39L._AC_SX569_.jpg

61Pyfedzw5L._AC_SX569_.jpg

Leaf boardgame. 

In the game Leaf, players embody the wind by guiding leaves to the forest floor and connecting them to the ones that have already fallen. Each leaf you touch will grant you actions to create a thriving forest. Attract woodland animals, grow mushrooms, lead helpful squirrels up the great tree, and gain additional leaf cards and sun tokens by strategically placing leaves. The player who contributes most to the health of the forest wins!

Kickstarter version has wooden components, looks great. 

weird-city-games-board-card-games-leaf-43577686294839_900x.jpg

Terraforming Mars: Bit on a heavier side, and longer playtime, but so satisfying!  

In Terraforming Mars, players control a corporation and compete to transform Mars into a habitable planet

91x5bb0PyaL._AC_SX569_.jpg

81JT-RdGDTL._AC_SX569_.jpg

21 minutes ago, Michał said:

We bought **tickets to ride Europe** and played it today. Easy rules, but limitless gameplay.

https://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/ticket-to-ride-europe

(Tapatalk)

Yes, I have ticket to Ride USA, Europe and Africa expansion. Easy fun game. 

Talking about trains...Isle of Trains - all Aboard.  (fun game, I have Kickstarter upgraded version) 

Cover of this game is very deceptive ..it's not kids game. (It's simple but deep) 

In this multi-use card-based engine-building game, you are competing to be remembered as the greatest train conductor on the island. Build a grand locomotive with a range of freight and passenger cars, and entice your opponents into giving your their goods and passengers. Then deliver them to score big! Or, load your goods and passengers onto your opponent's trains to benefit from their powerful engine bonuses, allowing you to chain actions together and go steaming ahead.

download (1).jpeg

download.jpeg

We enjoy Catan but found it was a little difficult for some of the local friends to figure out. Turns out not a lot of board gamers in Belize. 

So I got Ticket to Ride USA on sale. I really enjoy it and the friends pickup on it much easier.

We try to do at least one game night every month.

I currently have this.

It has one church element, which is 'cross', but not used in a meaningful way, it's just drawn here and there.. not really in a game play.

It also has an element of exorcism but apostles did exorcise. 

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/255392/acts

Also I have many board game ideas that befit us

Just that

I have no time and the intelligence or the board gaming experience to realize any of them. 

Edited by Hotteok

1 hour ago, Hotteok said:

I currently have this.

It has one church element, which is 'cross', but not used in a meaningful way, it's just drawn here and there.. not really in a game play.

It also has an element of exorcism but apostles did exorcise. 

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/255392/acts

Also I have many board game ideas that befit us

Just that

I have no time and the intelligence or the board gaming experience to realize any of them. 

I had plans to do a board game many years ago.  It was going to be like going from house to house.  If you landed on a certain space you could draw a card that would have a common objection from householders.  The object was to answer the question.  I first thought about having a board like in Monopoly and, if you landed on certain squares, You would draw a card and answer the householder's comment.  Then I thought about simplifying it so that players would take turns drawing cards without moving around a board.  I never got very far.

I originally thought about using objections from the old 'Make Sure' book.  There were also 'sermon outlines' that might lend some ideas. With the new LMD book, there might be some new alternatives.

I don't know when I might have time to do such a game.

2 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

I had plans to do a board game many years ago.  It was going to be like going from house to house.  If you landed on a certain space you could draw a card that would have a common objection from householders.  The object was to answer the question.  I first thought about having a board like in Monopoly and, if you landed on certain squares, You would draw a card and answer the householder's comment.  Then I thought about simplifying it so that players would take turns drawing cards without moving around a board.  I never got very far.

I originally thought about using objections from the old 'Make Sure' book.  There were also 'sermon outlines' that might lend some ideas. With the new LMD book, there might be some new alternatives.

Also should ask.. will anyone play them and like them after we make them? Fearful question.

2 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

https://www.ministryideaz.com/House-to-House-board-game-p/h2h.htm

House2House Board Game for Jehovah's Witnesses

IMG_3011.jpeg.bad54291574b8802d75d3378d608c035.jpegIMG_3012.jpeg.7370684ce94f0b17fc5591cfe06b925b.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 12/26/2023 at 9:11 AM, Hotteok said:

Also should ask.. will anyone play them and like them after we make them? Fearful question.

At that time several family members would have played.  My son said he was looking forward to it.  Unfortunately, circumstances change.  My son is very busy, lives 500 miles away and I rarely see him nowadays.  It might have gone well for a short while but then would have fallen into disuse.

My wife and I play Everdell.  You play one of four anamorphic animal species.  The goal is to create the best city.  You have 4 seasons to build the best city.  So the game doesn't go for too long.  It allows 1 - 4 players.  (you can even play solo if you like, but I always play with my wife)

Everdell

Board Game Review: Everdell

7 hours ago, Gimestr said:

My wife and I play Everdell.  You play one of four anamorphic animal species.  The goal is to create the best city.  You have 4 seasons to build the best city.  So the game doesn't go for too long.  It allows 1 - 4 players.  (you can even play solo if you like, but I always play with my wife)

Everdell

Board Game Review: Everdell

I have full set of Everdell with all expansions including the latest Farshore (even got Lil Everdell to play with youngsters) 

16 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

I have full set of Everdell with all expansions including the latest Farshore (even got Lil Everdell to play with youngsters) 

I only have the base game.  We want to get an expansion soon.  We did buy custom resource holders for it.

Everdell resource holders Upgrade Kit 4 6 pieces unofficial image 10