JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pioneer and Field Missionaries Meeting with the Elders

I am at the wire.  Our Pioneer meeting is this weekend.  I'm searching for something special I can do for the group this weekend.  It's probably too late to create personalized bags.  I considered doing a meal but being alone in this endeavor, that will be an expense for me alone.  We have 29 pioneers.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Br. Wil

Take them to a restaurant and have the elders split the cost

Ask someone to bake a couple of special cakes

Buy gift cards and have the body of elders split the cost

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

A pioneer couple provided cupcakes for all. It was something simple. 

Also, personal postcards of appreciation of the material from the Governing Body to the instructors was a nice touch too. ❤️

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Thanks for the suggestions.  Question out of the29, 4 are RP's, and two have wives that are RP's.  Would you ask them to contribute, to me, it will be like asking them to pay for their meal or their wives not to mention the cost.  An average meal would run about 25 dollars per person.  29 x 25=725 dollars plus tips.  

The cupcakes and a card sound more reasonable for me.  I'll probably add an ink pen or two, hand sanitizer, small notepad they can leave a note or scripture with the not at home return visit.  This is probably within my budget at such a late notice.  Possibly a simple meal if I can elicit any help.    

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

5 hours ago, 7wonders said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  Question out of the29, 4 are RP's, and two have wives that are RP's.  Would you ask them to contribute, to me, it will be like asking them to pay for their meal or their wives not to mention the cost.  An average meal would run about 25 dollars per person.  29 x 25=725 dollars plus tips.  

The cupcakes and a card sound more reasonable for me.  I'll probably add an ink pen or two, hand sanitizer, small notepad they can leave a note or scripture with the not at home return visit.  This is probably within my budget at such a late notice.  Possibly a simple meal if I can elicit any help.    

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

The cost is a consideration.  Our CO expressly asked if we were hosting the pioneers with a meal.  He pointed out that this was a sincere expression of love and hospitality toward these hard-working special servants.  Out of our 11 elders we have 6 out who pioneer (and 4 elder wives).  I calculated that our meal Sunday cost about $300-$400 dollars for the 60 or so that came to participate.  The 12 elders agreed to pay for the event.  We donated about $30-$40 each.  If I had taken my wife out for a nice restaurant meal, I would probably spend $30 .  This way I spent about the same amount and fed about 60 faithful servants in the field and enjoyed their company.

We have a great number of elderly and single sisters in the pioneer work. More than half of our 30 pioneers are over 50 years of age.  One is 92, a couple in their 80s, some like me in their 70s.  I want them to know how appreciated they are for their hard work, determination and fine example.  In my case I wanted to show more love than I could with a cupcake.

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Le coût est une considération. Notre commandant a expressément demandé si nous accueillons les pionniers avec un repas. Il a souligné qu'il s'agissait d'une expression sincère d'amour et d'hospitalité envers ces serviteurs spéciaux qui travaillent dur. Sur nos 11 anciens, nous en avons 6 qui sont pionniers (et 4 épouses aînées). J'ai calculé que notre repas du dimanche coûtait entre 300 et 400 dollars pour la soixantaine de personnes venues participer. Les 12 anciens ont accepté de payer pour l'événement. Nous avons donné environ 30 à 40 dollars chacun. Si j'avais emmené ma femme prendre un bon repas au restaurant, je dépenserais probablement 30 $. De cette façon, j'ai dépensé à peu près la même somme, j'ai nourri environ 60 fidèles serviteurs sur le terrain et j'ai apprécié leur compagnie.

Nous avons un grand nombre de sœurs âgées et célibataires qui sont pionnières. Plus de la moitié de nos 30 pionniers ont plus de 50 ans. L’un a 92 ans, un couple octogénaire, certains comme moi ont 70 ans. Je veux qu’ils sachent à quel point ils sont appréciés pour leur travail acharné, leur détermination et leur bon exemple. Dans mon cas, je voulais montrer plus d’amour qu’avec un cupcake.

A condition of the heart that deserves to be cloned or transplanted into all hearts. Thank you, Jehovah

One of our elders made arrangements ahead of time to have all 19 pioneers, their mates, 13 elders and wives meet for a meal at a brothers home. He arranged for volunteers to provide the food. My wife is making three different cakes.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

39 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

L’un de nos anciens a pris des dispositions à l’avance pour que les 19 pionniers, leurs compagnons, 13 anciens et leurs épouses se réunissent pour un repas dans la maison d’un frère. Il a fait appel à des bénévoles pour fournir la nourriture. Ma femme prépare trois gâteaux différents.

California is so far away.... Whyyyyyyyyyy ?😋

16 minutes ago, TheKid23 said:

No one has ever organised anything for the pioneers in my Cong, not even the elders.

It is definitely a cultural thing. When you watch the hospitality videos of special conventions around the world, it is clear that there is a great variety to the way in which the hosts express their love for the friends. It can be  culturally a little cooler here in the UK.

If there seems to be a lack of "sparkle" in this area. , I would suggest the pioneers organise an event between them and get the ball rolling. One of the questions presented to pioneers in the recent Pioneer meeting was " Why should we take the initiative to invite others.....?" This doesn't have to apply just to working together in the field. Romans 12:10 puts it well: "In brotherly love have tender affection for one another. In showing honor to one another, take the lead."  😊