JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How to update the desktop computer JW Library app? (Windows version)

Hi everyone. I just can't figure this out so I'm hoping someone who's more tech savvy than me can help. How do I update the desktop JW Library (Windows version)? Mine is an outdated version that still has the old photo of the Governing Body at the beginning of lesson 54, some of the articles are different than in the up-to-date android version, etc. Android is 14.1.2 (357710), Windows is 14.1.42 (357776).

On the help page at https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/windows/features there's a link that shows how to turn on automatic app updates on my computer settings -- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/automatic-app-updates-help. I checked. It's already set to auto update, so I can't figure out why it's not updating. And I can't find any way to manually update the app ... so I'm stuck! 

help, comic strip style -- 250px.jpg

Edited by AquaticaWaverly

Windows Version 14.1.42 is the latest version of the program.

Have you tried updating the publications?

Go to the Library and see if it says Pending Updates.

Screenshot_20240108_211921.thumb.jpg.eeb910fb8ce010fba89900e33b6dfd2f.jpg

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I like pressing the 'Windows' button, and type in 'update'. It will update the 'Windows' system.
Then I go to my "Windows Store" and "get updates."
This will update all the "apps" (inc jw lib app) you have.
I hope this helps.
Worst case, uninstall and re-install the lib app.

Old (Downunder) Tone

If you want to update it through Windows, go to the "Microsoft Store" image.png.b7be6d29edbcd7d05ded4fcdeea10c6e.png and enter "JW" in the search bar. Then click on the JWL icon image.png.d2c76cdb5577da3d8a48d777a4441281.png. You should get something that looks like this

image.png.825a3305612789ad8f2b630e511c89a9.png

If there is an update possible through Windows, there should be an "Update" button under the "Open" button. (The update button may be gray or pale blue) I have found, when I know there is an update but the update button is not there, that I sometimes have to wait for a couple minutes for the update button to show up.

Click on the Update Button and it should update.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

When I tuned up one cheap PC, I have found one Windows Service that should be enabled to update JW Library.

(this has takes couple of hours investigаtions)

WpnService or Windows Push Notifications System Service

Please check in the Services that this one isn`t disabled and status = started.

Also AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC) shoud be enabled to update JW Library application itself (prevoius service needs for update publications)

To enter to services console just type "Services" in Start and you will see cogwheel shortcut in the list.

Edited by Korotkiy