JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What was your favorite convention food?

The Satan bagels with cream cheese were popular. We called them Satan Bagels because if you had too many, you felt bound for a 1000 years...:eek:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, jwnate said:

For you pre-1995 folks, what was your favorite convention food we had? I would have to say the apple and cheese danishes, and the slushy OJ. 

I'm not sure, did other countries besides the US also serve food? If so, what kinds of food did you have? 

Most of my tickets turned into half frozen OJ and Sara Lee Cheese  Danishes too. :D 

At assemblies, it was always the homemade pumpkin pies. 💜

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Well, I worked in the meat pie truck at the conventions, and we used to eat those that were either damaged or used for quality control and only paid half price. These meat pies were made at Greenacre Assembly Hall, which I also did some time there as well. For a couple of times, they did purchase meat pies (and even sausage rolls) from commercial producers, but they were not as nice as the ones we had made ourselves.

Danishes were great and sold at the coffee stall, but they mostly sold out before the morning session started, so you had to get in early. Also had cinnamon donuts made fresh on-site. As we were there very early, it wasn't a problem for us, and it also helped when we knew those who worked in the stalls that sold these. So our breakfast was two cups of coffee, two danishes and a bag of 6 hot cinnamon donuts that were slightly overcooked and crunchy.

Another favorite for us was the vanilla custard and raspberry jelly (Jello) tubs. As we were working in hot conditions in the pie truck, these were nice to cool down with. We also used to made our own fruit punch drink, because it was a tad too expensive buying drinks. So we used to buy various tinned fruit juices, such as pinepple juice, pear juice, orange and mango juice and apple juice, put it into a big esky drink tub, filled it with ice and added some soda water bottles to give it some fizz.

We at times had potato salad and coleslaw available, and they were not bad either (these were bought, not made by the brothers). usually at the end of the convention, we could buy 10L tubs of these if any were left over.

I really missed those times, because we had so much fun working and associating with each other.

Edited by Pabo

6 hours ago, Kwabena said:

Jollof with fried red fish

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ff5aefaef4777c450ff1a7e9a5ca6273.png

INSTRUCTIONS

1. About 6 hours before cooking, marinate your fish. Combine finely chopped or minced garlic, ginger and oil in a small bowl. Crumble in ¼ of a vegetable stock cube and mix to combine. Rub the marinade on fish fillets, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for approx. 5-6 hours, or overnight.

https://somebodyfeedseb.com/jollof-rice-with-fish/   What a treat! : NIGERIAN JOLLOF RICE WITH FISH

Edited by Imagine

10 hours ago, Imagine said:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.ff5aefaef4777c450ff1a7e9a5ca6273.png

INSTRUCTIONS

1. About 6 hours before cooking, marinate your fish. Combine finely chopped or minced garlic, ginger and oil in a small bowl. Crumble in ¼ of a vegetable stock cube and mix to combine. Rub the marinade on fish fillets, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for approx. 5-6 hours, or overnight.

https://somebodyfeedseb.com/jollof-rice-with-fish/   What a treat! : NIGERIAN JOLLOF RICE WITH FISH

Whoa, whoa, whoa! You may not know but you've just commenced a war between Ghana and Nigeria 😱😱.

Please write a formal apology😂😂😂. The fate of the whole West Africa is in your hands right now.

I'm not talking about Nigerian Jollof. I'm talking about the original one. The Ghanaian jollof.

I would have to say the ham & cheese sandwiches for nostalgia reasons. I helped with food prep making those sandwiches at the last convention that had food service. I got to the last one, had about an inch of cheese. I was instructed to put it on the sandwich, someone would appreciate the extra cheese.

I got in line at lunchtime, made my selections and when I got back to my seat, I got that very sandwich. There was around 10,000 in attendance at the convention in Columbia, South Carolina.  I thought what the odds of me were getting that sandwich? 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tami said:

Ooh how this thread brings back some great memories🥰

Yes, indeed!

We feasted on more than just spiritual food at our gatherings, didn't we? :D

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 hour ago, Kwabena said:

Why is it that some of you are talking in past tense? Don't we still eat at conventions? 🤷🏿‍♂️

Yes.  But now each person chooses what they will bring to eat.

This topic is about past conventions that had only certain items on a limited menu to choose from and we would purchase these items with convention currency.

Screenshot_20221011_213834.thumb.jpg.b37791fc9796ddcd17c061d9415814e7.jpg

On 2/8/2024 at 10:01 PM, Kwabena said:

Jollof with fried red fish with salad and fried, boiled egg. The best of the best.

Ghanaians and eggs! Whoops....

On 2/9/2024 at 2:51 PM, Kwabena said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! You may not know but you've just commenced a war between Ghana and Nigeria 😱😱.

Please write a formal apology😂😂😂. The fate of the whole West Africa is in your hands right now.

I'm not talking about Nigerian Jollof. I'm talking about the original one. The Ghanaian jollof.

Ghanaian jollof doesn't even begin to come close to the Nigerian version. Ask around. 

Edited by truce