JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Cats or Dogs?

Did Jesus prefer cats or dogs? Was he a cat person or a dog person? Some of his illustrations use dogs For example: (Matthew 7:6) . . .Do not give what is holy to dogs. . . (Luke 16:21) . . . Yes, too, the dogs would come and lick his ulcers. (Mark 7:27) . . . it is not right to take the bread of the children and throw it to the little dogs.. . . These seem to show dogs in a negative light. As we know dogs were considered unclean by the Israelites according to Jehovah's direction. and Jesus perfectly reflected Jehovah's viewpoint on everything. *** it-1 p. 644 Dog *** To the Israelites this animal was ceremonially unclean *** it-1 p. 644 Dog *** Morally unclean persons are called dogs. Also proverbs says: (Proverbs 26:11) . . .Just like a dog returning to its vomit, the stupid one is repeating his foolishness. So all in all dogs are not shown in a particularly favourable light. The word dog or dogs is mentioned 28 times in the Bible. However the word Cat does not appear at all. What does this mean? Do cats have no relevance, meaning that Jesus must have been a dog person despite the negative image? Well, even though the word cat is not mentioned, the word lion is found 147 times. The lion is of course part of the cat family. So indirectly cats are found in the bible. How is lion used? The insight book says : *** it-2 p. 257 Lion *** Most of the Scriptural references to the lion are figurative, or illustrative. The entire nation of Israel (Nu 23:24; 24:9), and individually the tribes of Judah (Ge 49:9) and Gad (De 33:20), were prophetically compared to lions, representative of invincibility and courage in righteous warfare. (Compare 2Sa 17:10; 1Ch 12:8; Pr 28:1.) Jehovah likens himself to a lion in executing judgment on his unfaithful people. (Ho 5:14; 11:10; 13:7-9) And God’s foremost judicial officer, Jesus Christ, is “the Lion that is of the tribe of Judah.” (Re 5:5) Appropriately, therefore, the lion, as a symbol of courageous justice, is associated with Jehovah’s presence and throne. Indeed Jesus is referred to as the Lion that is of the tribe of Judah. So probably Jesus had a favorable view of cats. It is likely, then, that Jesus was a cat person rather than a dog person. Sorry to all the dog lovers.

115673=6354-454.gif

I think Jesus would have preferred Hamsters. I think Hamsters have had a bit of a bad deal, you dont get countries with a Hamster as its flag.

Or how would satan have been described like a Hamster in Rev 12:12 "so down the great Hamster,was hurled, the original Hamster".

Nope Jesus is for the down trodden and forgotten and Hamsters are the better than cats and dogs anyway.

I am a cat person and I have three of them now. I live with my brother who almost divorced me when I got the third one. He is a dog person, but has no pets now that he is retired. If he had a pet, he would have to find someone to take care of it when he wants to go fishing for several days at a time. My daughter lives next door to me and we cat sit for each other when the need arises. I know dogs are loyal, but cats don't take as much care and I'm lazy!

This thread is hilarious! I love the logic....a new chapter in the reasoning book, maybe? :lol1:

And for the record, I have a beautiful boxer named Riley. But I like cats, too....have always had a kitty or two...but some of the family is allergic and if I want to see my grandkids, no kitties until paradise!

I think Jesus would have preferred Hamsters. I think Hamsters have had a bit of a bad deal, you dont get countries with a Hamster as its flag.

Or how would satan have been described like a Hamster in Rev 12:12 "so down the great Hamster,was hurled, the original Hamster".

Nope Jesus is for the down trodden and forgotten and Hamsters are the better than cats and dogs anyway.

Your Hamster would make a tasty bite for my Cats :P:dance:

I have 2 cats... and seem to also inherited a stray cat...

and 2 dogs... also a horse, 6 hens and 2 ducks...

I used to be more of a cat person but these days I prefer dogs, problably because they keep me company when I am walking

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

No guessing as to your prefernce Dawn . . . but I have real issues with what the ? is Chucks picture of? :eek:

Armadillo!

Oh! . . good. I thought the poor man had the ugliest cat I had ever seen. . . :lol1: . . and I come from a country with plenty of weird looking animals. :P

I am a dog lover.

Cats...... the other white meat!!! I have some good recipes that has cats in it. I stole them from my local Chinese Buffet. lol.............

Nice: yes:

I too am a dog lover and I have good recipes for them too. I got them from Musky.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I have recipes for the Armadillo. My neighbor gave them to me. Yuk..........:nope:

We have one that keeps trying to get under our swimming pool. It's driving Grumpy crazy.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I have "Sherman" He's named after the Sherman tank!

116149=6397-Sherman1. (145 x 234).jpg

Chuck, I used to have a Texas tortoise by the name of Sherman also after the tank. He went anywhere he pleased. Figured out the dog door too. Snapped at the dog to let her know he was boss. Has gotten his shell run over by car tires and lived to tell the tale. Loved hibiscus and females lol. He was a funny one and vernalee his hole went under neibors pool from our yard. Lol Cats vs dogs. I like both but maybe prefer dogs justa tiny bit more. Cat boxes have this unique smell that doesn't quite dissappear even with being cleaned. Dogs you just take them outside. They both can be extremely loveable, but cats tell you when they are done and don't want anymore attention. Dogs can't get enough which is good on a lonely day I need a dog

Chuck' date=' I used to have a Texas tortoise by the name of Sherman also after the tank. He went anywhere he pleased. Figured out the dog door too. Snapped at the dog to let her know he was boss. Has gotten his shell run over by car tires and lived to tell the tale. Loved hibiscus and females lol. He was a funny one and vernalee his hole went under neibors pool from our yard. Lol Cats vs dogs. I like both but maybe prefer dogs justa tiny bit more. Cat boxes have this unique smell that doesn't quite dissappear even with being cleaned. Dogs you just take them outside. They both can be extremely loveable, but cats tell you when they are done and don't want anymore attention. Dogs can't get enough which is good on a lonely day I need a dog[/quote'] I need a dog too, but then I'd have to get rid of Grumpy. He doesn't want any more pets.:cry:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Chuck' date=' I used to have a Texas tortoise by the name of Sherman also after the tank. He went anywhere he pleased. Figured out the dog door too. Snapped at the dog to let her know he was boss. Has gotten his shell run over by car tires and lived to tell the tale. Loved hibiscus and females lol. He was a funny one and vernalee his hole went under neibors pool from our yard. Lol Cats vs dogs. I like both but maybe prefer dogs justa tiny bit more. Cat boxes have this unique smell that doesn't quite dissappear even with being cleaned. Dogs you just take them outside. They both can be extremely loveable, but cats tell you when they are done and don't want anymore attention. Dogs can't get enough which is good on a lonely day I need a dog[/quote'] I need a dog too, but then I'd have to get rid of Grumpy. He doesn't want any more pets.:cry:
You'll miss Grumpy, but you'll get over it! Enjoy your new dog!

Vernalee,

I've been told I should trade my husband for a dog too. Lol. There is a sister I grew up with used the I'll bring home a pet tell hubby it only for day or two or trial. I it doesn't work we find new home.shes ended up w many pets that way. Most are service rescues. She goes in service rescues a pet. Lol

Vernalee,

I've been told I should trade my husband for a dog too. Lol. There is a sister I grew up with used the I'll bring home a pet tell hubby it only for day or two or trial. I it doesn't work we find new home.shes ended up w many pets that way. Most are service rescues. She goes in service rescues a pet. Lol

Over the years I have had many pets and Grumpy was pretty good about them, but now he just doesn't want to have to worry over them. My last kitty, a Maine Coon Cat, got a tumor and I was at work when she got really sick and he says he just can't do it any more.

When we lived in California we had a green Amazon parrot, a tortoise and 3 horny toads and a cat and 4 bee hives and 25 chickens. In the city limits of Alhambra. Then we moved to NH and we had a black lab, a poodle, a Cocker Spaniel, a cock-a-poo, several different kinds of birds, 5 goats and babies, chickens, pigs, rabbits, so now he's afraid to let get anything because then I want more. I guess it's time to wait for the end and then I'll get a giraffe.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, and several snakes.