Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Public execution 😳


Recommended Posts

This shows how much the world and government is changing. The first public execution since 1945...

 

US to livestream Army firing squad execution of Fort Hood shooter, Pentagon says | Reuters https://share.google/WSMQu0DKwgzAokMPd

  • Sad 8
  • Wow! 1
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Medieval. Pretty sure that the only people who think this is a good idea have never seen someone who was shot to death. It's not like Hollywood/videogames. It's likely going to be messy, loud and take a lot longer than you might think.
The silver lining is that this, combined with other recent botched executions, might put the public off the idea of capital punishment in future. 

  • Like 1

"I will keep on the lookout for Jehovah".—Mic. 7:7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

(Romans 13:4) 4 for it is God’s minister to you for your good. But if you are doing what is bad, be in fear, for it is not without purpose that it bears the sword. It is God’s minister, an avenger to express wrath against the one practicing what is bad.

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&pub=nwtsty&srctype=wol&bible=45013004&srcid=share

 

I actually think it would not have been televised had it not been for the botched execution in Tennessee. This feels like the federal government trying to say "look at me, I can do it better". 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Phillipians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are lovable, whatever things are well-spoken-of, whatever things are virtuous, and whatever things are praiseworthy, continue considering these things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s horrifying to think of the implications of a livestream execution in this day and age. 

Young people watching. 
How some will laugh and rejoice while watching. 

Literally the whole world watching in unison. 
The recordings that will be made and played over and over. 
AI being used to alter scenes. 
 

I know it’s all happened before but for it to be livestreamed is a whole new level. 
It’s similar to The Hunger Games. 
People are so desensitized and this will only increase all of that.  

  • Like 9
  • Care 2

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Shawnster said:

(Romans 13:4) 4 for it is God’s minister to you for your good. But if you are doing what is bad, be in fear, for it is not without purpose that it bears the sword. It is God’s minister, an avenger to express wrath against the one practicing what is bad.

 

Exactly the scripture I was going to cite. I am neither for nor against public executions because governments have a right to decide how they handle judicial cases, but I'll note it was matter of course in Israel to stone people to death so I can't pretend it's a "barbaric" concept to execute criminals. Each person will have to decide whether or not it is appropriate to watch.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

200 years ago all executions were in front of a live audience, no? Everyone in town could go watch the hangin'

  • Like 1

Phillipians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are lovable, whatever things are well-spoken-of, whatever things are virtuous, and whatever things are praiseworthy, continue considering these things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is horrifying to witness life snuffed out of a person as they gasp for their last breath. As a teenager, I was curious enough to try to attend one, unsuccessfully, in the early '80s. Those being executed were armed robbers, and the location lies between my high school and my home. Thinking back, though, the punishment seems fitting for the crime, as they were ruthless killers; it would still have haunted my sleep...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, BLEmom said:

It’s horrifying to think of the implications of a livestream execution in this day and age. 

I keep thinking it's a bluff. Trump will blame someone else for not letting it happen. 

  • Like 1
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im not suprised he got capital punishment for killing 13 persons. According to the article last public execution was in 1936. I think killing a murderer in front of victims family is one thing or in front of people close to the crime but streaming it live for billions to watch is something else entirely. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

 

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Bread and circuses...

Yeah, maybe. Public executions are supposed to deter people from crime and solidify the governments power and authority. However history shows it isn't very effective. 

  • Like 1
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those of us old enough to remember LBJ can remember his strong personality and how the Vietnam war ruined his political career. I have seen a lot of people comparing LBJ and Trump.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, LeolaRootStew said:

 

Exactly the scripture I was going to cite. I am neither for nor against public executions because governments have a right to decide how they handle judicial cases, but I'll note it was matter of course in Israel to stone people to death so I can't pretend it's a "barbaric" concept to execute criminals. Each person will have to decide whether or not it is appropriate to watch.

 

I don't think watching such medieval-era act of violence would be appropiate for a christian.

  • Like 2

"I will keep on the lookout for Jehovah".—Mic. 7:7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lostinthought said:

 

I don't think watching such medieval-era act of violence would be appropiate for a christian.

Romans 13:4

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Those of us old enough to remember LBJ can remember his strong personality and how the Vietnam war ruined his political career. I have seen a lot of people comparing LBJ and Trump.

Who's LBJ? Lyndon B Johnson?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
I don't think watching such medieval-era act of violence would be appropiate for a christian.

I agree. Christians hate violence. Any execution is a violent act. Why watch what Jehovah hates?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Mike said:


I agree. Christians hate violence. Any execution is a violent act. Why watch what Jehovah hates?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

This is an opinion based on conscience.  Someone else may not consider execution an act of violence. 

 

On the other hand, some might consider it state-sanctioned murder. 

 

Bottom line is it is not appropriate for a Christian to make a blanket statement that something is not appropriate for a Christian if there is no clear scripture command.  As we are learning these past couple of years, Jehovah expects us to stand on our own and apply our God-given reasoning ability in applying Bible principles to reach conclusions for which there are no direct scriptural guidelines. 


Edited by Shawnster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Phillipians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are lovable, whatever things are well-spoken-of, whatever things are virtuous, and whatever things are praiseworthy, continue considering these things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

 

This is an opinion based on conscience.  Someone else may not consider execution an act of violence. 

 

On the other hand, some might consider it state-sanctioned murder. 

 

Bottom line is it is not appropriate for a Christian to make a blanket statement that something is not appropriate for a Christian if there is no clear scripture command.  As we are learning these past couple of years, Jehovah expects us to stand on our own and apply our God-given reasoning ability in applying Bible principles to reach conclusions for which there are no direct scriptural guidelines. 

Exactement ça.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation with your brothers and sisters!


You can post now, and then we will take you to the membership application. If you are already a member, sign in now to post with your existing account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)