JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

POTATOES :exclamation:

I love to buy Potatoes in either the 5kgs or the 10kgs. Better value. Only prob is I don't know how to keep them from turning green, I don't have a proper a pantry and I don't have a dark place, I know they like the dark areas. They don't come in the hessan bags anymore its, the plastic bags. So I was after some other Idea please,

Ciao:kiss:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Potatoes need to be kept out of light to prevent the green....if you have a straw basket or crate layer your potatoes in there with newspaper in between the layers...and paper on top , they need a cooler airy dry place...if they get damp they will sprout...pantries are not a good idea for that reason...can you keep them next to your fridge in such a box...out of the sun and away from the heat?

• 2 weeks later...

I love to buy Potatoes in either the 5kgs or the 10kgs. Better value. Only prob is I don't know how to keep them from turning green, I don't have a proper a pantry and I don't have a dark place, I know they like the dark areas. They don't come in the hessan bags anymore its, the plastic bags. So I was after some other Idea please,

One thing we do often times is microwave the entire bag of potatoes after washing and put them either in the fridge or freezer. A cold cooked potato is easy to slice and makes just as good of hash-browns or fryes or sliced or mashed. With the exception of mashed potatoes we like to leave the skin on as most if not all of the good nutrients are next to the skin.

For a potato to not sprout is has to be stored in a dry, cool, dark place. Oh, but you knew that.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

One thing we do often times is microwave the entire bag of potatoes after washing and put them either in the fridge or freezer. A cold cooked potato is easy to slice and makes just as good of hash-browns or fryes or sliced or mashed. With the exception of mashed potatoes we like to leave the skin on as most if not all of the good nutrients are next to the skin.

For a potato to not sprout is has to be stored in a dry, cool, dark place. Oh, but you knew that.

This sounds like a great Idea Lynn, How long does it take to cook all the potatoes in the Microwave, I am up for any time saving tips & prep food ahead of time, I have been discovering other areas of freezing food like. blending onions, leeks, & garlic in the olive oil and freezing portions, This has worked well for me, & the big 3kgs of tin tomatoes, has worked well. So thanks for the good ideas.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

This sounds like a great Idea Lynn, How long does it take to cook all the potatoes in the Microwave, I am up for any time saving tips & prep food ahead of time, I have been discovering other areas of freezing food like. blending onions, leeks, & garlic in the olive oil and freezing portions, This has worked well for me, & the big 3kgs of tin tomatoes, has worked well. So thanks for the good ideas.

This really depends on the power settings of your microwave. In mine, on the high setting, a batch of 4 or 5 potatoes will be done in 10 minutes, poke with a fork to test. Under cooked is better than overcooked. I put however many will fit in a plastic bowel with some added water so they will not dry out. After they have sat in the fridge over night, cut to desired shape and put in the freezer if you like. For french fries I take from the freezer to the oven `350', turn once, no oil, crisp brown yummy but totally different from fried. If you like the oil taste, spray lightly with Pam before throwing in the oven.

Edit: There is not much time saved using this method but it does cut down on the amount of spoilage from rot and sprouting. I use less oil with this method also.

wow what a good Idea I would've never thought of that. How long do they generally keep after you've nuked them?

wow what a good Idea I would've never thought of that. How long do they generally keep after you've nuked them?

If you freeze them they are good for maybe a year. If you try to freeze an uncooked potato it will turn black before it freezes but not so with a nuked one. In the fridge, I wouldn't keep them more than a week. I was on a potato diet one time and lost over 60 lbs. I found many ways to prepare a potato without the oil and preserve the nutrients that you loose when you peel. Of course now all I have to do is look behind me and I have already found the 60 lbs I lost.

• 2 months later...

Lynn I wanted to let you know. I tried your idea with the potatoes last week cooked a big fat pot. & put them in freezer bags. Wonderful idea.

My brother had his engagement party last week. Mum had heeps of cut cababge she gave a big shopping bag full. I didn.t have much room in the fridge so I froze that. Workes well.

Agape

• 1 month later...

This reply isn't about potatoes (which I love!!!) but about onions. I read years ago that if you are in a hurry and don't quite have supper ready, put an onion in the hot oven for a few minutes, then when hubby walks in, it makes the house smell like you've been working hard to get that dinner! I've actually tried it before--hubby is in quite a pleasant mood ;)when he thinks you've been working hard to please him. lol

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)