JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Barnes and noble nook big gripe

Just wondering if anyone else has had this come up. So just got a nook and I'm doing searches for free books. Of all things to come up the first 5 plus suggestions are all erotica and sex books. I mean come on really??? In the FREE section. What about parents who hv 7 yr old kids that are looking at their parents nook and searching free. I mean you should have to confirm age or something let alone this garbage is on the very first search page. Ridiculous.

Done griping for the moment.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I. Have noticed that stuff is on everything including the ugly monster faces. They are supporting the apps we download for free. I like to know how to remove them before down loading the apps.?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I have an android & with free apps. I also get the errotic jazz & other ads for the games with hiddeous looking creatures

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

That is just plain wrong and bad and evil on all levels.

They don't even have to sell sex. They just make it free. People like free so they go for it whatever it is. Ridiculous I say. So you get erotica garbage just downloading free apps. It's absurd. I say the witnesses flee to the hills now. Wish I could help. Maybe musky can.

The Aussie Android market must be a lot different then the U.S. one. I download apps very often and have yet to run into "erotic" apps, or pictures. Same with the "scary pictures". But then I don't play games and so I don't even look at them, that may be where you are seeing those kinds of things.

I get an occasional app on my smart phone that is sexual in nature, and yes, it bothers me a great deal.

I get a notification saying "free app download" or something like that, and it's something about "dating" "finding singles" "free sex". I hate it!

My client has a Nook and we have not had any problems with bad images or websites. There has to be somewhere where you can block that stuff.

This is the problem with getting a Nook, Kindle Fire or Kindle period. You would be better off getting a generic tablet and then getting an app to read from either Barns and Noble or Amazon. You would then have the best of two worlds. Both the Nook and Kindle do not allow apps that don't come from their website unless you root them.

The problem I had when I got the KF rooted is that it frequently froze up on me when I was trying to read. I think you can get a Kindle reader for the Nook and then sign up for an account from Amazon. Then you can go to this website and get free books to read. http://www.ereaderiq.com/

But in order to read them you must sign up with Amazon and provide a credit card, even if the books are free. You also have to have a credit card for the Nook too, at least that was my experience with it. Hope this information helps.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

It can be games & the language.like say Italian .I like to learn the languages but unless you want to pay for the. I rarely play the games. They are mostly for the kids when we travel etc. then they chuck in the ads. That are hideous.

• 2 weeks later...

My client has a Nook and we have not had any problems with bad images or websites. There has to be somewhere where you can block that stuff.

This is the problem with getting a Nook, Kindle Fire or Kindle period. You would be better off getting a generic tablet and then getting an app to read from either Barns and Noble or Amazon. You would then have the best of two worlds. Both the Nook and Kindle do not allow apps that don't come from their website unless you root them.

The problem I had when I got the KF rooted is that it frequently froze up on me when I was trying to read. I think you can get a Kindle reader for the Nook and then sign up for an account from Amazon. Then you can go to this website and get free books to read. http://www.ereaderiq.com/

But in order to read them you must sign up with Amazon and provide a credit card, even if the books are free. You also have to have a credit card for the Nook too, at least that was my experience with it. Hope this information helps.

I know nothing about any of these devices . I am trying to figure out what to buy , what is it that friends take to the Hall with the WTL on it? Do all these things have wifi ? Can I get something for under $150.00 ? Oh and I'd like to be able to check out library books on it also.

It kind of depends if you want a 10 inch one or a 7 in one. Look on ebay for manufacture referbished, with good battery life. There are lots of them I got Grumpy an Acer Iconia A200 for under $200 and it is as good as mine and I paid a lot more. Just make sure if you go the ebay route that you check out the seller real good. This one is just like Grumpys from the same seller.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Acer-Iconia-Tab-A200-8GB-Wi-Fi-10-1in-Gray-/111439415

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

So Vernalee,or anyone who knows ....can I put the WTL on a KindleFire HD it has 16 GB ? Also do you know if I can put the WT and AW there?

I am trying to find out if the KindleFire HD can access to the full Android market or if it can only access the Barnes & Noble market. That will decide if it can install the isilo version of the WT Library on it or not as well as other publications. But it has WiFi so you can access the Watchtower online library anyway.

So Vernalee,or anyone who knows ....can I put the WTL on a KindleFire HD it has 16 GB ? Also do you know if I can put the WT and AW there?

I am trying to find out if the KindleFire HD can access to the full Android market or if it can only access the Barnes & Noble market. That will decide if it can install the isilo version of the WT Library on it or not as well as other publications. But it has WiFi so you can access the Watchtower online library anyway.

The only way to get the WT Lib on KF is to root it. But it acted up for me so I unrooted it. You can get the mags and I have nearly all the new books and some older ones done in Mobi which is the language for the Kindle. I can read the KM and I have all the meeting books we need on it. I really loved it except for the fact that I wanted the apps and even though you tell the Kindle to accept the forign apps, they just do not install.

Actually by the way the web site is you pretty much have the whole lib any way. That's what I use, unless I am on the computer.

Well I am back from shopping :) I went to several stores and the Office Max guy was the nicest and didn't treat me like I was stupid so he got my $195.00 (they were $249.00 everywhere else,even Walmart) ....plus me gave me a $15.00 gift card,I will buy a cover for my new Nexus 7 with that ....I found out that nobody seems to like Kindle or Nook out there and this guy loves his Nexus 7 so that's what I got...and unlike Kindle they give you the charger adapter ...it's $20.00 at Amazon for the Kindle....and I like all the apps they already had on it....I almost got an Ipad because they were 12 months same as cash but they are huge....not like a book which is what I wanted...so I am happy...:) He said I can get a Kindle app..I have to figure out what all this means.

I like the google earth and GPS thats included also.

Nancy, if you go to Google Play Store and type in Jehovah's Witnesses you will find a whole bunch of Apps to choose from. For your cousin, Amazon also has a couple now for JW's. You also type in JW's in Amazon Apps and there is one called Kingdom Tools. I just tried it on my KF and is works great. NWT and a whole bunch of other publications. You can also down load on the Kindle from JW online and get the mags and books, but I really like this app. It costs $1.99.

I'm glad you didn't get the KF though. Android is better for what we need. Have fun with your new toy. Vernalee

Well Vernalee after two hours on a chat with a "Charly" at my internet provider I now have my wifi connected ...and I am afraid he's going to go home and shoot himself,it was quite frustrating for us both....but my Nexus is working great!

Nancy, go here and download "JW reader" it is by far the best "Witness" app. In my opinion.

http://www.syntaxsoftwaresolutions.co.uk/JWReader/index.php

If you have problems downloading it and you can get your email on your Nexus, let me know and I can email you the app.

Also, you may have to go into "settings" and then "security" and check the box next to "unknown sources" to allow it to install since it's not from the app market.