JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

News Stories that seem to disappear

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3926 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I find it interesting how the news media likes to hype up a story to get people to watch but often doesn't follow through once the public's attention is on to the next thing.

Here is an example - whatever happened to George Zimmerman - the man who shot Trayvon Martin?

He is currently out on bail - a second time - provided he maintains a curfew and has an electronic tracking device on. The judge felt he wasn't a menace to the community. He is still awaiting trial.

I found Wikipedia has a GREAT site with all the details, but there is no info about an upcoming trial date. It seems people have lost interest - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin

I have laughed about the ITCCS thing only because I saw that as going no where and just another media hype atempt.

What stories were you following that just seemed to disappear?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

The biggest example of this that I can think of was the whole Japan earthquake and tsunami disaster! There were three or four nuclear reactors in the process of melting down, all of the news services devoted All of their programming to it and the dangers it would cause. And then it all just stopped! No more coverage, no mention of the log-term effects they worried about, nothing. You have to do an Internet search to find any information about it. Once in a while there will be a little new story as pieces of debris washes ashore here in the US, but not much news at all.

There was talk about the seafood industry being affected for years and years and now no mention of tainted fish at all!

It does seem odd that no new news stories have come out about the Japanese nuclear fall-out.

At least the Trayvon Martin / George Zimmerman story hasn't died all together:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/trayvon-martin/os-george-zimmerman-docket-sounding-20121017,0,3121347.story

This morning, Circuit Judge Debra Nelson set Zimmerman’s trial for June 10. Attorneys in the case said they estimate the trial will last three weeks. Prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda said he expected jury selection would take longer than the trial itself.

Imagine Mr. Zimmerman getting an impartial jury :nope: No wonder that will take longer then the trial.

BUT June 10 - WOW! that is a long time to wait.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

The George Zimmerman story is still very much alive. We hear something about it almost every day (I am only 40 min. from Orlando). Haven't heard much, though, about his wife's perjury charges. There was talk about moving the trial out of Orange County so he could get an "impartial" jury; but like Casey Anthony, who hasn't heard about the case? I have better things to do with my time than to try to follow that case.

Actually there are many reports weekly out of Japan on what is happening. As well there is a lot of health news on how in California and the coast line .....foods are already contaminated because of what is coming out of Japan. There has also been numerous protests~ some violent ~ in Japan because of what is happening. Scary to note that many foods grown in and around the contaminated areas of Japan are being sold as coming from safe areas of Japan. News reports say that within 10 years everyone living in Japan will be affected by the contamination ~ already those in the worst areas have a 90% increase in Thyroid issues.

I guess news reports are heard/seen where the information will be used the most. I know we have not heard anything of Zimmerman of late here in Toronto. But we can read reports on Facebook etc about Japan.

Scary times we are living in.

Actually there are many reports weekly out of Japan on what is happening. As well there is a lot of health news on how in California and the coast line .....foods are already contaminated because of what is coming out of Japan. There has also been numerous protests~ some violent ~ in Japan because of what is happening. Scary to note that many foods grown in and around the contaminated areas of Japan are being sold as coming from safe areas of Japan. News reports say that within 10 years everyone living in Japan will be affected by the contamination ~ already those in the worst areas have a 90% increase in Thyroid issues.

I guess news reports are heard/seen where the information will be used the most. I know we have not heard anything of Zimmerman of late here in Toronto. But we can read reports on Facebook etc about Japan.

Scary times we are living in.

Cherie - could you post a source to one, because I am just not seeing them. It would be interesting to see what is going on there.

Soon .....

Mr Iori has been putting out information since the disasters started in Japan. He is not in the truth ~ but he is very bold in what he lets people know. Japan is hiding most of this information from the public...

http://fukushima-diary.com/2012/10/radiation-level-keeps-going-up-in-tokyo-and-kanagawa-area/ {radiation levels increasing in Tokyo & Kanagawa}

http://fukushima-diary.com/2012/06/deformed-fish-is-served-at-sushi-bar/ {deformed fish are being served}

http://fukushima-diary.com/category/dnews/food-dnews/ {107.2 Bq/Kg of cesium was measured from pork of pig farmer in Koriyama city Fukushima}

• 8 months later...

I have been watching the trial and was suprised the prosecution has already finished.

I find it very racially divided. Ask any white person if they think George acted within the law - they say YEP. Ask anyy black person the same question and they say NOPE! Well as the jury is mixed, I'll make a prediction - he walks as they cant agree on "reasonable doubt".

I don't even think the defense needs to put on a case.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Well, in Japan, the nuclear problem is still on the news.

I haven't heard anything about it here. What's the latest?

Soon .....

The biggest example of this that I can think of was the whole Japan earthquake and tsunami disaster! There were three or four nuclear reactors in the process of melting down, all of the news services devoted All of their programming to it and the dangers it would cause. And then it all just stopped! No more coverage, no mention of the log-term effects they worried about, nothing. You have to do an Internet search to find any information about it. Once in a while there will be a little new story as pieces of debris washes ashore here in the US, but not much news at all. There was talk about the seafood industry being affected for years and years and now no mention of tainted fish at all!

http://www.naturalnews.com/Fukushima.html

There was an interesting article about how the radiation was landing on grass that cattle was eating and then they found it in the milk -- so what does the FDA do? They raise the level of acceptable radiation levels... so they don't have to dump the milk.. that's scary...

I have been watching the trial and was suprised the prosecution has already finished.

I find it very racially divided. Ask any white person if they think George acted within the law - they say YEP. Ask anyy black person the same question and they say NOPE! Well as the jury is mixed, I'll make a prediction - he walks as they cant agree on "reasonable doubt".

I don't even think the defense needs to put on a case.

I'm not sure if the jury will be aloud to consider a lesser charge. If the state would let the jury consider manslaughter, I think they may go for that, but I don't see how they could convict him of second degree murder.

http://www.euronews.com/2013/07/10/fukushima-levels-of-radioactive-caesium-soar-90-fold/

(Video at site)

Tests at Japan’s Fukushima power plant have revealed a 90-fold increase in caesium-134 in groundwater at the site between July 5 and July 7.

Tepco, which runs the facility that was badly damaged by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami, said in a press release that the surge had been detected at an observation well between a damaged reactor and the sea.

The record spike in caesium-134 comes after recent discoveries of high levels of other radioactive elements such as tritium and strontium. It all suggests that contaminated water could be spreading through the plant towards the Pacific Ocean.

Masao Yoshida, the plant’s chief at the time of the tsunami, has died of oesophageal cancer at the age of 58. He led efforts to stabilise the crippled site in the wake of the disaster.

Tepco said Yoshida’s illness was not connected to his duties at Fukushima.

• 2 weeks later...

Humans continue to cry out because of the "kings" they've chosen for themselves.

This is the backdrop to the revelation that TEPCO’s admission in December of radiation doses having exceeded the “safe” level of 100 millisieverts – and going as high as 11,800 millisieverts – in only 178 workers was a lie.

TEPCO might not even have studied the issue at all. Despite warnings from international health experts about the risks of radiation exposure, it didn’t launch an investigation into thyroid gland doses until it was essentially forced to by international pressure. So it finally collected thyroid data on 522 workers – of the 19,592 workers who worked at the plant over time, of whom 16,302 were employed by often shady contractors and subcontractors. It submitted the results to the World Health Organization last year but still refused to release the results until it learned that the WHO would publish them. Hence, the disclosure last December.

But no one believed the results. The UN Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation questioned the reliability of the data; and Japan’s Ministry of Health pressured TEPCO to give the data another look. Which it finally did. The Asahi Shimbun reported:

TEPCO and its partner companies not only re-evaluated the readings from thyroid gland dose tests, but they also estimated doses when the amount of radioactive iodine that entered the body was unavailable. These estimates were based on cesium intake amounts, the airborne iodine-to-cesium ratio on the days they worked, and other data. The latest study showed that doses topped the 100-millisievert mark in 1,973 workers.

The entire article is available here:  http://www.testosteronepit.com/home/2013/7/19/who-could-trust-such-a-company-the-big-fat-lies-about-radiat.html