JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Foundation Series - Isaac Asimov

WOW! I forgot how good this series was. I am almost finished with the last book Asimov wrote - "Forward the Foundation"

I started with the first, "Foundation"

The series is actually in this order:

1 Prelude to Foundation (1988)

2 Forward the Foundation (1993)

3 Foundation (1951)

4 Foundation and Empire (1952)

5 Second Foundation (1953)

6 Foundation's Edge (1982)

7 Foundation and Earth (1986)

But - like star wars - the first 2 were written last. So, I am on book 2 which is Asimov's last book he wrote before he passed away in 1992 - after having read the other 6.

If you have never read the series - I HIGHLY recommend it - to the scifi lovers out there. The last book - "Foundation and Earth" is not worth reading. If you want me to recap it I can in about one simple sentence - that is part of why I don't recommend it, but the rest of the series is wonderful. I highly recommend reading them in the order written - rather than the Chronological order above.

He chose Gaia because he recognized the flaw in Hari Seldon's math - it only works if ALL are human. So when you add robots and any other genetically altered "humans" - the math is faulty; therefor, Gaia is the best "final" solution.

The gist of the books is 2 fold - one that a mathematics could be created that allows a person to predict with probability the outcome of different events. This way, a person could plug in events and see how they will turn out - say one thousand years from now. But as it is "probability" another method had to be planned - moving events just slightly so that things would stay on course.

I often think of this series when we comment about Jehovah's ability to "foreknow" the future. Usually that discussion devolves to - does He see it - like peeking into the future or does He state things the way He wants them to be and ensures that is how they turn out. My opinion - BOTH is the correct answer. He looks at what is mostly likely to happen (given free will of humans and angels) and then thinks what is best and KNOWS what is best and then ensures it - with gentle nudging (not changing people - just pushing them where they would already go - like the 5 dreams used to get Joseph second in command to all of Egypt).

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

You know there are only a few books that I have ever read more than once - the Bible obviously, but not many others.

I think the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (all 5 books) and this series would be it.

Wait - one other series - Orson Scott Card - Ender & Bean series.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I love reading Enders' series too it was a long time ago but to my knowledge he was writing the last book to the Ender Series do you know if he has completed it.?

the last book I read from him was a parody to Shakespeare's Mid summers dream. I wasn't that keen on it

My favourite book is Maps in the Mirror vol.2 unaccompanied sonata.

I love reading Enders' series too it was a long time ago but to my knowledge he was writing the last book to the Ender Series do you know if he has completed it.?

the last book I read from him was a parody to Shakespeare's Mid summers dream. I wasn't that keen on it

My favourite book is Maps in the Mirror vol.2 unaccompanied sonata.

Yes, he has completed it. He was able to merge both the Bean (and his kids) series with Enders in a very good way.

I'll have to check out some of these other series.

Soon .....

Brilliant I would love to see how it all ended you don't know what it was called? It is so difficult looking at the library or on line for something and the only information you have got is it was the last book Orson Scott Card wrote on the Enders series.

Another science fiction I really enjoyed was Kevin Anderson the Saga of the Seven Suns it was multi layered with lots happening.

I read them when there were only three (#3, #4, and #5) - didn't know that they mulitplied before IA died in 1992 (guess the latest one was published post humously) I was blown away by them, and am convinced that the Star Wars concept was based on them, though he did not get credit for it.

My husband is a big Sci-Fi reading fan. He read the Foundation series years ago and enjoyed them. He also thoroughly recommends The Space Machine by Christopher Priest - described by The Times: " Reads compulsively... a mutation between (H G Wells) The Time Machine and The War of The Worlds" and The New Scientist as "A triumph. Witty and exciting." and my husband as Awesome.

He also recommends Sci-Fi stories by Jack Vance and Bob Shaw. He especially enjoyed Bob Shaw's Nightwalk - an escape story of an agent sent to an enemy planet where he is captured, blinded and sent to a prison camp that is supposed to be impossible to escape from - but he.....read it and see!

He also liked the old classic 'Day of the Triffids' - John Wyndham, which is quite different to the old Hollywood Movie of the same name, though the BBC did a fair version of it as a TV series.

He liked Larry Niven and he enjoyed Orsen SC who he calls Awesome Scotchgard when he can't quite remember the guy's name!