JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Spam/No junk mail

How can I apply this setting to my Laptop please..I would like to stop the You have won a something promotions, they keep coming I have tried deleting them and so please don't send. I think they wreaked my last PC among other viruises thanks for your help friends.:grouphug:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

You are talking about SPAM in your email, correct? Depending on what service you use for your email, go into their webmail settings and check out the SPAM filters and set them a little higher. Also, stop using your email to sign up or register on any websites. I have a "junk" email address for the websites I use that require an email address. I check it once and a while to see if there is anything I need, but it is full of thousands of SPAM emails. I just delete it monthly. I get NO SPAM in my personal accounts because I don't use them to sign up for anything.

So if your email is already overrun with SPAM, open a new one and keep it private. You can mass email all your personal contacts and tell them that as of a certain date, this is your new email address.

... go into their webmail settings and check out the SPAM filters and set them a little higher...

Of course this presupposes one uses webmail ... I do not. I use POP email. I prefer to be able to check and read my email without having to log in to a website. Guess I am still old school when it comes to email. But, with an email client like Outlook or Outlook Express, there is a great versatility.

However, I also have a "throw-away email address that I use to keep from getting SPAM.

I also have a good email filter and any junk I do get is sent to a junk mail folder.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

... go into their webmail settings and check out the SPAM filters and set them a little higher...

Of course this presupposes one uses webmail ... I do not. I use POP email. I prefer to be able to check and read my email without having to log in to a website. Guess I am still old school when it comes to email. But, with an email client like Outlook or Outlook Express, there is a great versatility.

However, I also have a "throw-away email address that I use to keep from getting SPAM.

I also have a good email filter and any junk I do get is sent to a junk mail folder.

Your "POP3" email account that your email client (outlook) downloads to your computer will have webmail access where you can go and set SPAM filters before the email ever gets downloaded to your email client (outlook). I have never found an email provider that didn't have webmail access with settings. If you can't find it, call your ISP and ask them what the web address is.

Your "POP3" email account that your email client (outlook) downloads to your computer will have webmail access where you can go and set SPAM filters before the email ever gets downloaded to your email client..

That may be, but I would rather be able to decide what is SPAM and what is not. I have, at times, found that the filter I have will decide that email I want is SPAM. If I use a webmail filter to delete SPAM before it gets to me, how will I know if that filter is also deleting mail I actually want? The way mine is set up it works for me ... I will keep it that way.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

That may be, but I would rather be able to decide what is SPAM and what is not. I have, at times, found that the filter I have will decide that email I want is SPAM. If I use a webmail filter to delete SPAM before it gets to me, how will I know if that filter is also deleting mail I actually want? The way mine is set up it works for me ... I will keep it that way.

Of course! And nobody is asking or suggesting that you change it. I was giving advice to Gabe who asked for it in her post. :)

Your "POP3" email account that your email client (outlook) downloads to your computer will have webmail access where you can go and set SPAM filters before the email ever gets downloaded to your email client..

If I happen to get spam, I usually check the Spam Folder once a week, just in case it is not spam, and then have it sent to my inbox file. Several times when I checked there was stuff I wanted and it wasn't Spam. But I appreciate the filters that are there and almost all of the things in the Spam File are just that, SPAM.:coffee:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.