JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

This is what we had for supper last night!

140144=7713-picture-171.jpg These are our house made tacos and they are delicious! The salsa is homemade too!

Are there any left overs? WOW!! That looks GREAT!!! We had Samon I cooked on the grill - with baked potatoes and green beens.
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Hi Sis! Thanks for trying and enjoying the recipes. What type of food does your family like? I will post the technique and recipes later or can email them to you direct. Do you have a favorite meal you enjoy preparing? We had friends that owned resturants in LA and would allow me to go in and observe/work with their chefs. The most notable kitchen was The House of Blues on Sunset. It really is about the techniques as much as the recipe. The master chef there showed me how to make traditional baked potatoe or better known as steak house baked potatoes. He took a 5 gallon bucket of cold water and poured in a 2lb measure of kosher salt with a cup of sugar. You scrub well the potatoes and poke holes with a fork every couple of inches around the potatoe then drop them in the bucket of water and add 5 lbs of ice. This brine pulls the starches from the potatoe so when it bakes it is flakey and not gummy. You let the potatoes set at least 10 hours in the solution then take them out and dry them well. After drying them take solid Crisco and rub a thin layer on the outside covering them well. Put them is a HOT oven 450degrees for 15-20mins to crisp the skins then turn the oven down to 350 and finish cooking. Usually 40-50 longer. Take them out THEN wrap them in foil till ready to serve. Cut the foil approx 2 inches and smash the potatoes towards the middle from each end. Sprinkel with kosher salt and serve with butter and sour cream. There is a wonderful horseradish cream sauce to make specifically for these potatoes. Take a stick of butter--room temperature and grate in fresh horseradish about 1 to 2 T. and add 1 cup of heaving whipping cream. Beat this till thick and creamy then stir in 1 tsp of sugar. Unbelivable how good this is and I though I did not like horseradish. AS I said, it is alot of prep for a baked potatoe but the difference is amazing. This technique elevates the baked potatoe to being the centerpiece of the meal!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Just let me know when! We have an extra bedroom and enough young boys around 13-18 in our Kingdom Hall that can keep your son busy with activities monitored by their parents. We have an active RBC group that also keeps the young ones occupied. Margie and I would LOVE for you to come.

LeslieDean

The baked potato sounds very interesting. We do like Mexican food and BBQ . You should do a viral cookbook with pictures :) . Either post the recipes or email because like I said we have been trying them. Do you have a simple slaw recipe? I thought I would have slaw to offer Sunday. Unless I get your Taco recipe I may swap my menu.

140347=7732-picture-157.jpg

140347=7733-picture-161.jpg

140347=7734-picture-162.jpg

140347=7735-picture-165.jpg

140347=7736-picture-167.jpg Hi Drema, To make the shreded beef tacos take a 3-4 lb chuck roast and salt and pepper it well. Dredge it in flour then let it set for a few minutes to let the flour adhere well to the meat. Pour 2-3 T of olive oil to coat the bottom of a deep oven proof pot. I have a cast iron that has an enamel coating that I love like my first born. I use it for everything! Any way, take a deep pan that is oven proof to minimize the steps and after bringing the oil to a high temp place gingerly your roast into the pan. Let it sear well before turning, then brown it on all sides. There should be no oil left over in your pan if you judeged it right, so now take one can Rotel (or similar) and pour it onto the beef with 1/2 bottle of A-1 steak sauce. Add 4 cups of hot water (use your microwave and make it boil before adding to the meat). Now place the tight fitting lid on the pan and place it in a hot oven (400 degrees). Shut the oven door and forget about it for the next hour while you clean the kitchen and tidy the house. After one hour, open the door and raise up the lid to make sure your tight fitting lid has had a good seal and not ran draw. If so, you should not have to add more water but if you do now is a great time to add the rest of that bottle of beer you've been snorting on. Now turn your oven down to 350 degrees and let it cook another 3 hours. At some time while the meat is cooking, take 3 pabalano peppers and wash well and slice into strips. Take two whole onions and slice them on the halp moon (wash, remove outer peeling, cut in half the slice thinly. Add the peppers and onions to a skillet that has a couple of T of olive oil in it and saute them till crisp tender. Set them aside. Now remove the pot from the oven and step back when removing the lid so as not to give yourself a facial. Remove the roast from the heavenly broth and place in on a platter then shred it with two forks. This should take no pressure at all. Now add the raost to the skillet of peppers and onons and turn on the heat so as to dry the moisture off the meat--just a few mins will do it. This is what you use to fill your tacos, or make a sandwich or just eat with a fork. I put pictures of how to do the corn tortialls becaus it is kinda hard for me to explain well. Just take a stack of corn tortillas and place the in hot vegetable or corn oil and cook them about 30 secs on each side. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels laying them in stacks--one on top of the other. Grab some toothpicks and in an assembly line fashion (if your are having company enlist the help of your friend) and now go to town filling the tortilla with the meat and onion mixture, fold in half and place two toothpicks along the top to keep the meat inside. Now place them gently into a pan of hot vegetable or corn oil (not my favorite olive oil for this one) and brown the tacos on each side. Remove and let drain on paper towel. Have your olives, sour cream lettuce, tomatoes, avacado, salsa or what ever you like ready on the table and everyone assembles their own feast. For the coleslaw, here is one off the top of my head that everyone seems to like. Take a head of cabbage and slice it thinly or shred it with a greater. Take how ever many green onions you like and chop them into small pieces. Shred a couple of carrots or us a baggie of coleslaw ingredients. I always add more carrots and green onions because that is just the way I am. Next take 1 pint (2 Cups of heavy whipping cream. the juice of one lime, 1 C of Hellmans Real Mayo (don't you Miracle Whip or you'll hurt my feelings) and 1/3 to 1/2 C of sugar. Mix with a whisk and pour over the cabbage. Salt and pepper to taste. My faovrite coleslaw is a vingar and sugar mixture but I can't remember the portions right now. I 'll send that to you later. It is great with BBQ or over Fish tacos. Hope you undrstand the directions and you like it!

LeslieDean

Marzetti used to run a commercial that said to make coleslaw, just shred up cabbage and "pour on the Marzetti"!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~