JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I think my laptop is dying

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what it says when inserting the SD Card. It didn't matter though, because I was able to use Windows Explorer this time to navigate to it's drive letter.

http://robertangle.com/+/misc/error_messages/006%20Upon%20Inserting%20SD%20Card.jpg

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

What "server"? It really sounds like some malware is trying to phone home. Do programs now open OK? If not, try the second fix I sent. But first, while you are in msconfig, go to start-up and un-check all, then just log off and back on, don't reboot.

What "server"? It really sounds like some malware is trying to phone home. Do programs now open OK? If not, try the second fix I sent. But first, while you are in msconfig, go to start-up and un-check all, then just log off and back on, don't reboot.

Okay, I have disabled all Startup things in MSConfig, logged out and signed back in.

Upon signing back in, a little "Solve PC Issues" thing popped up for the first time by the clock. I clicked on it and it said "Windows recommends to perform a backup at this time"

I've connected my newly formatted backup hard drive and Windows Explorer is working fine. I also clicked on Quickbooks and it seems to be opening properly. I also clicked on the previous .txt file and .pdf file that did not have file associations and they now have their file associations back. However, everything is still sluggish.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Well, back up your data files, like everything in your "libraires" the programs can all be re-installed if necessary, so don't bother with them.

After you do that, I am going to PM you a link. I don't want to post it because it should only be run under supervision. And some people here will download it and run it just because it's there! LOL

Looks like the backup is 60% done. I just let "Windows choose (recommended)" which apparently backs up all Libraries and a system image file.

I got tons of Gigabytes of Karaoke files I wanna get backed up as well.

OK, The program I wanted you to run is not available at the moment. It is updated almost daily and it is temporarily unavailable.

So for now, once your backup is finished, download, install and run "malwarebytes" The free version is fine:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

The kind of damage you had is usually caused by malware, adware or a virus. Even though your anti-virus said you were clean, there could still be something running.

I've gotta a funny feeling the backup is "hanging" as it were. The bar hasn't moved in a while and I clicked "View Details" and the pointer was join by the hourglass icon but nothing is showing up.

Is there any hidden response window awaiting an answer from you? I have had that happen. It will get to a file with a problem and ask me what to do, but I can't see the windows because it's behind another one.

Your hard drive might be dying, is it making any funny noises?

Is there any hidden response window awaiting an answer from you? I have had that happen. It will get to a file with a problem and ask me what to do, but I can't see the windows because it's behind another one.

Your hard drive might be dying, is it making any funny noises?

Another pop up finally showed up. It says 57% complete and currently "Scanning File System".

All you can do at this point is wait it out. Maybe disable your antivirus program so it doesn't have to scan every file that is copied which slows it way down.

Then just leave it alone and go to bed! :)

Okay, I exited Kaspersky. Still at 57%. All other things seem to work, just work sluggishly. I am heading to bed.

Okay so I didnt go to bed just yet. The backup failed, saying "The semaphore timeout has expired".

I downloaded and ran MalwareBytes anyway, and it detected one measly thing in a setup program in my download folder from probably 2 or so years ago. It said it required restarting the computer to do that, so I obliged. The "Starting Windows" screen hung for over 8 minutes before the sign on screen appeared, and now after signing on the screen is a blank cyan color and nothing is happening.

Sigh!

OKay back on and running again. Memory usuage is 1.64 GB out of 4GB so I am good there. It reads...

Total: 3894

Cached: 2218

Available: 2207

Free: 22

That means 1/2 of the memory is still free for use, right?

Now, I tried to analyze the disk for a defrag and it hung at 14% for ages, so I cancelled. Now I am trying to move files over to an SD Card and some of them move very faster, and then others transfer at a snails pace.

I just thought I would toss that out there. I'm starting to suspect hard drive failure. I will look forward to your comments later. I GOT to go to bed now.

Yes, it is looking more and more like a pending hard drive failure. As they start to go, they will speed up and then slow down again at various times. This is because, as they get "old" or go bad, the platters expand and contact slowing the spin. You need to get what you can off (obviously) and then replace the drive. Hope you made the "system backup DVDs" when you first got the laptop because they don't ship them with system disks anymore, or at least most manufacturers don't. If you didn't you can try to make them now, but it doesn't look like your system will make it through the process.

You can also box it up and send it to me and I'll replace the drive and get you up and running again. I have friends from all over shipping computers to me for repair.

You can also box it up and send it to me an di'll replace the drive and get you up and running again. I have friends from all over shipping computers to me for repair.

Good to know.:whistling:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Yes, it is looking more and more like a pending hard drive failure. As they start to go, they will speed up and then slow down again at various times. This is because, as they get "old" or go bad, the platters expand and contact slowing the spin. You need to get what you can off (obviously) and then replace the drive. Hope you made the "system backup DVDs" when you first got the laptop because they don't ship them with system disks anymore, or at least most manufacturers don't. If you didn't you can try to make them now, but it doesn't look like your system will make it through the process.

You can also box it up and send it to me and I'll replace the drive and get you up and running again. I have friends from all over shipping computers to me for repair.

Do you think it would be worth my time to get an enlosure for the laptop drive and see if it will plug into my Desktop. I am a bit unnerved at the idea of losing some photos I had taken.

Getting a new replacement drive is the best way. Ebay search the model # with hard drive to see if any drives are available.

Next get a portable USB hard drive enclosure and mount the drive and try to transfer everything to it.

I think that programs like spinrite.exe would do that. It may be a very long time, but get the job done.

Once that is done, dissassemble the old hard drive from the computer and install the new one.

• 3 weeks later...

So I was thinking about getting a copy of Windows 8 and a new hard drive. This will put me at over 1/2 the price of a new laptop.

However, I just found out I can get recovery disks from Toshiba for $29.95 which I believe would work on a new hard drive that I purchase. If so, this is the most inexpensive way to get my lap top working again.

It's a slow time of year, and I cannot afford a new laptop at the moment.