JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

:eek: Infomercials

Like Ecclesiastes says ... To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion [to them] is wearisome to the flesh (Ecclesiastes 12:12) ... the same could be said of Infomercials - you know, those "programs" on TV that run like a show but is all about a product they want to sell.

Some are for one-of-a-kind items while others are competing with each other, like the "Total Gym" and "Bow-Flex". Most of the times I just turn them off ... but, once in a while, one is interesting enough" to see what they are talking about.

With that in mind, I was wondering, what item(s) have you used (purchased) that was/were shown on an infomercial and did it work as-advertised or was it a dud? Now that you have had it for a while do you still use it?

I'll start off. We have a "Nuwave Oven". It is a counter-top device that used convection heat to cook. It works nicely and we use it regularly. In fact, it my wife liked it so well that when she saw another device made by them she watched that "show" as well. It was for the counter-top induction "burner". She got one of those and uses it nearly every day. Both work as advertised.

We also got the "Magic Bullet" blender that has the small cups. We use that mode during the summer when we want to make really cold drinks since it crushes ice to a powder-like consistency and makes a nice "icee" type drink - other then that, not used so much.

We also have the "Food Saver" vacuum system. We find that does not quite work as they show. It will suck the bags down, most of the time, but they do not stay "vacuum packed" for a long time like they show on TV. It is also a bit of a chore to use since it takes space on the counter and needs to be "pulled forward" to use ... so, we do not keep it there and have to get it out to use it - therefore, we do not use it much.

OK ... your turn

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I haven"t bought anything. I have seen a lot of gear put out on the side of the road for throw out week.

For eg. Ab rider.

Usually a product will be seen in shops like a super Dollar saver. So I can checkout one of those informercials.

Sorry I get annoyed with the ads. We have one chanel devoted to the ads. Then every other chanel has more of those ads.

Although there is one gadget I would like to buy its now at Big W. The mini grinder for the handyman. Cuts around the tough corners light switches. Thats cool. Maybe the R Bra. If I hear its value for money. Lol

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I have the Nuwave Oven, Magic Bullet, Food Saver, A steam cleaner, a pillow for my tablet and a thing to stick on my windshield to hold my cell phone.

I like the pillow to hold my tablet and the Magic Bullet to make salsa but the rest are sitting in the closet under the counter. I don't like any of them. The only reason I have the pillow and windshield thingy is because Grumpy talked me into trying them.

I have decided that I will never again buy anything from the TV. They are all over priced and I HATE INFOMERCIALS.:hammer:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Nope not bought any of that stuff. I showed my kids the other day that on 3 different stations there were 3 different ab machines - the ab wave was one - i think that's the one where you replace your lounge with 2 ab waves and you and your spouse do your ab exercises while watching tv - oh LOL!

And those muscle-bound hunks that smile their way through the workout - give me a break! Here's a secret - they didn't get those abs from that machine! :P

Gabe I've heard the "Ah" Bra where you put it on and say "Ahhhhhhh" should be you put it on and say "What's that hanging down there" - no support whatsoever :exclamation:

:ecstatic:

I am so >:D< thats what I thought.

Thanks Myree.

Yeah those smilely 6 packs.:eek:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I have never bought anything from infomercials or any of those shopping shows. My husband would freak if I did that. He has to research every product we buy so we get the best one for the money. He hates it when I come home from the store with something like an appliance for the kitchen without having him research it first, lol. Now I just tell him what product I want, he researches it and then tells me which one to buy, this is just easier for me.

We've gotten a few things. Tony little pillows were more like sandbags the cloud pillows advertised. Then we got this neat little box that streams netflux,pandora,hulu,vudu and a few other things. That works pretty well. Then there is tony little aurawave. Its a little tens unit. That works pretty well. We've gotten some stufff from hsn that's pretty good.

John--when I was dx'ed with my pseudo brain tumor I was on massive doses of Prednisone and chemo tx meds. The prednisone when taken in large doses can cause "predinose physcosis" where you can have all sorts of auditory hallucinations along with typical physcosis. I ordered over $5,000.00 from QVC while watching it one night. Several days later the post office called and said we need to bring a truck and pick up all our packages because they had no room in their back storage area! I had forgotten about doing this--all the ordering. My sister had taken a family leave from work to come and care for me and get me to all my appts--averaging about 5 appts per week with various doctors (toxicologists, hematologists, neurologists, internists, ophthalmologists, and others). My husband had gone to the bank to get money for a contracting job and was told "none available". He was unable to figure this out because he had just made a large deposit a few days earlier from a previous job. My sister called him and informed him that the store room at the post office was jammed packed with boxes from QVC. He said there must be a mistake. We took alot of the packages home and began to open them and you would not believe what I had bought. There was a hot pink coat with a satin leopard print lining (Suzanne Sommers line) and some stilettos heels with what looked like thumb tacks sticking out from the backs f the heels. There was also a bright red SEQUIN MERMAID TAIL strapless dress in a size 5 (I have not been a size 5 for 10 years at that time and I was taking prednisone that makes you huge!). You should have seen the faces on all of us as we began to unwrap these boxes! My husband was speechless! He looked very pale and he just kept shaking his head in disbelief. I started crying because it was very scary for me to realize that I had ordered all these things and yet had NO recollection of doing so. I started thinking I was losing my mind and began to shake. My sister was flabbergasted and they both started trying to console me. I blurted out these were not things I would even order. I could never wear anything strapless because I was too big chested. I would never wear come-get-me shoes because I would not walk in them. Where would I ever ware a red, sequin dress with a mermaid tail? All was quiet and finally my sister said quietly "Maybe it was just that little bit of slut coming out in you..." This singular comment made us all start rolling in laughter. My rheumatoligst informed me that this is a NORMAL thing for people to do that are on such massive doses of Predinose (155 mg) and to just return them and he would give me a letter to QVC explaining the illness.

The one thing that I took from this experience is that when I hear people say they have no recollection of doing things when on certain meds I can now believe them. There had just been a news story of some man on Catalina Island who had murdered his girlfriend and said he had no recollection of the event. I thought to myself how convenient. I have heard many other things like people taking certain sleeping pills and getting up and eating and driving places and never remembered any of it. I was also taking Ambien at the time because the Prednisone keeps you up for days at a time. I could go for 4 and five days without sleep unless I took one of the sleeping pills.

Anyway, that was my experience with the home shopping channels. And QVC took everything back without even a question. I was afraid with so much ordered they would give me grief but it did not happen.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Leslie, Leslie,Leslie :lol1: Love IT!!!!

I'm glad they took it all back and I have heard of people doing strange things when on certain meds. We sometimes are amazed and laugh when they run an ad on TV for some of the meds and then have the "disclaimers". Some of the "side effects" of the meds sound worse then the ailment they are supposed to help with.

I guess now when you need some help ... you just make a batch of Scotch Eggs and have them with one of your "bloody concoctions" :idea: you could always put the eggs on a stick like the slider :chef:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Oh Leslie dear, your sis is a treasure....little bit of slut coming out:blush:.

I've bought a few things. One was a 'flavorwave' before it became the NuWave. It has a glass dish instead of a type of plastic I heard it has now. And I bought a bullett. Love that thing! And...stop reading for a minute boys

The Ahh Bra and love it!

But like someone else said I will watch the infomercial and when it's over I get on the computer and do my research. And I will also let time go by and see how it turns out for others. If it gets good reviews and solves a problem AND I still want it I'll buy it. I'm considering right now about buying that piece of exercise equipment from Chuck Norris. I've had my eye on it for a while. But I look at Craigs List too to see if someone has one they want to get rid of.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

It is a combo hair straighter / roller/flat iron that the barrel rolls on while you straighten your hair. Sort of like using a round brush with a blow dryer. I just kept burning the back of my neck and ear with it. I have better control with a flat iron. The nice thing about the in styler is it does not leave creases in your hair like a flat iron can.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!