JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Incredible Technology...

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3945 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

(Genesis 3:22) 22 And Jehovah God went on to say: “Here the man has become like one of us in knowing good and bad, and now in order that he may not put his hand out and actually take [fruit] also from the tree of life and eat and live to time indefinite,—” 

I heard a talk recently where a brother referenced this scripture and stated that the dash at the end of this verse indicates that the writer stopped without completing the speaker's thought.

It has been suggested that hard labor distracted humans from pursuing other interests.  It has also been suggested that the Industrial Age has allowed imperfect humans to accelerate human suffering on a larger scale in addition to all the conveniences we enjoy.

Then I found this:

These jokers are actually using the word "resurrection".  Man's arrogance has no bounds...

Agape'

(Genesis 3:22) 22 And Jehovah God went on to say: “Here the man has become like one of us in knowing good and bad, and now in order that he may not put his hand out and actually take [fruit] also from the tree of life and eat and live to time indefinite,—” 

I heard a talk recently where a brother referenced this scripture and stated that the dash at the end of this verse indicates that the writer stopped without completing the speaker's thought.

Here is more background on that thought:

*** w79 3/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

In the New World Translation and some other versions, Genesis 3:22 ends with a dash. This indicates that God did not put in the record a statement of what should be done. Instead, his words stop and the next verse describes the action itself; he drove Adam and Eve out of the garden. So their independent standard of good and bad was not like that of Jehovah and his Son. Rather, it was one that led them to misery.—Jer. 10:23.

"Live to time indefinite"

You mean like in film , DVD etc. I can spend a pleasurable hour or so on YouTube watching films of long dead singers as if they were here with me, and discovering artists from the past. It is amazing. I think that we often have a tendency to distrust new technology especially "in the truth" 

Medical transplants were derided by the Society as cannibalism at first but are nowadays acceptable, if you wish . Television was viewed as a "tool of Satan" when I was a boy.Of course the Internet has been frowned upon for years but now the Society are pushing it hard due to its usefulness in the Ministry (with care, of course)

NB there was a T V programme recently here in which a dead U K comedian was "hologrammed" in a similar way. I think most people just found it creepy. 

Sorry to disagree with you Lin , no offence is meant - but this is just in the form of discussion. What do others think?

A CO recently covered this.  He also added that the pain that Jehovah felt at the time, because of Adam was going to die and not have everlasting life, meant he could not finish the sentence.

I read that the sentence is incomplete to show just how swiftly Jehovah acted - as if he was in mid-sentence and had already removed them from Eden.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I returned just to make sure that my comments above did not cause any hurt feelings, I would not want that..However, the above couple of posts are interesting about the verse. Shawn showed us the WT QFR from '79 . It is worth remembering though that any punctuation was not part of the original words that Adam recorded and Moses wrote down . It is the decision of more modern translators since ancient Hebrew contained no punctuation, verse breaks or vowells . (WT '71 p 227) 

Or am I stating the obvious??

The brother also noted the point about the swiftness of the angle's response to carry out Jehovah's will to have Adam and Eve removed.

Dear Brother Daniel, no hard feelings at all.  One of the reasons I love this site is the varied points of view on the topics discussed.  Thanks for contributing.

I'm all for new technology.  I'm just amazed at man's arrogance.  As another example, I really take issue with the attitude that because people living in earlier times didn't have our technology, there's no way they could have figured things out (i.e.:  the builders of the pyramids of Egypt were helped by aliens).  My main take on the article discussing this hologram technology was the illusion that dead people can give concerts in the present.  Not a recording of an earlier concert.  Just another attempt to blur the lines between reality and virtual reality.  People alienated from God are blind enough to reality as it is.