JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Chili Cook-Off!

One of our dearly loved families moved to Bulgaria this past January to work where the need is great!  The mother/our sister held an annual Chili Cook Off every October.  This  sister, Darla, was like the mother hen to our congregation. Always keeping us close knit.  In her absence another sister decided to pick up the torch and keep the tradition going.  She lives out on 20 acres with horses, ponds, huge barn, and several ATV's.  She is having the cook off this Saturday.  I asked if she needed a hand in preparation or setting up (she had double mastectomy this past April) and she said she appreciated the offer but felt she and hubby and her two kids had it under control.  A few days later she asked if the offer was still good.  I said of course.  She said she sent out invitations on the Hub app.  With directions and information.  It sounds like a great time!  Then I noticed the RSVP list showed 225 invites and to date 173 confirmed!!! Yikes!  

I suggested maybe we should enlist the help of a few others.  Many hands make for less stressful work.  I asked if she ever had a gathering that big and she said many times. Ive hosted several at home, single handed, for around 60 and that was stressful.  No covered dish--did it all by myself.  Never again.  

She said there will be a chili contest, dessert contest, and a poster contest.  She said on the invitations that if you would like to sit down bring your own chair! They are going to start sitting up Friday by putting bales of hay out to sit on in strategic areas around multiple firepits and in the barn (concrete middle floor with two loft).  She said some will bring their musical instruments and has set up a stage for them to play and sing.  Kids can ride horses, or fish, or take turns with the ATV's.  Plus others are bringing their own ATV's.

If you have stuck with me this far, please include your favorite chili recipe or killer dessert recipe!

i will be doing a chili that was voted as a winning dish in Marina Del Rey in 2001.  

You dice onions and celery and saute in olive oil.  Then remove from pan and add your seasonings,---several different types of chili seasonings, cumin and Mexican oregano. Toast the seasoning then add a bottle of Bloody Mary Mix (Zing Zang is what I prefer), some Rol Tel tomatoes and green chili, and beans (I use pinto that I have cooked from scratch). But also have used can and see no difference.  It another Dutch oven I take about 4-5 lbs of stew meat and brown well then add beef stock and cook for two hours.  Then in my large canning pot I put the onion and celery, the Zing Zang mixture, the beef cubes with broth, and the drained beans, plus 5 lbs of uncooked 80-20 hamburger which cooks without adding a lot of fat while thickening the base of the chili.  This simmers for aprrox 1 1/2 hours then I take -/2 cup of masa hernia and mix with water to make a thin slurry and add to the pot.  Simmer again for 30 minutes. So excellent! 

Unless your John, whose taste may not agree with yours, or finds that everyone's taste is so subjective it makes you leary to say a dish is good! But yes, most people I find would enjoy the recipe!   But I guarantee, it does not taste like chicken! 

Love you John! 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Hey, Chilli is one of the things I DO like. The hotter the better! - and, unlike those from Texas, I like beans in my chilli.

Your sounds good.

We like to put V-8 in our chilli.

1 hour ago, LeslieDean said:

Unless your John, whose taste may not agree with yours, or finds that everyone's taste is so subjective it makes you leary to say a dish is good! But yes, most people I find would enjoy the recipe!   But I guarantee, it does not taste like chicken! 

I do not object to people saying something they like is good. It is just when they try to convince me that I would like it if I tried it "their way" - especially when they say what I do like is "bad".

BTW - I like chicken!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Wow! That sounds mouth-watering Leslie.  I've only recently tried my hand at chili because I love it during Winter months.  However, I would love to try chili in using the slow-cooker method.  I made mild chili before (because family doesn't like "hot or spicy" like I do.) I'll be searching for new recipes online since it's getting colder in my region now.

I've made chili in the slow cooker too.  Every recipe I've ever seen for stew, roast, stroganoff etc starts with raw meat.  I've done this for40 years.  Just within the last few months I've read notices about not putting raw meat in a slow cooker because it can spoil before it finishes cooking.  What?has anyone else just recently been hearing this?

LeslieDean

1 minute ago, nanceebgd46 said:

don't forget all the trappings...diced

onions, cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips and sliced avocado/chopped tomatoes

Well, not all of us use the same "trappings" .... they can vary greatly depending on who is making the chilli and who is eating the chilli.

Take cinnamon, for example, I do not like cinnamon in my chilli ... but, some think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

I also do not like licorice, so, I do not like anise in my chilli.

I have never put tortilla chips in my chili, but I would not be opposed to it. Likewise with avocado.

1 minute ago, LeslieDean said:

Just within the last few months I've read notices about not putting raw meat in a slow cooker because it can spoil before it finishes cooking.  What?has anyone else just recently been hearing this?

You mean like the ones who say not to stuff a bird, even though it has been done for longer than I have been alive without making most people sick. Some even say this about low&slow BBQ. 

Well, those who buy into the scare miss some really good eats 

Wow, I would love to be there,  I likes me some chili!

When I was working and on the road a lot Wendy's was one of my favorite drive thru spots.

A couple of big fat double cheeseburgers and about a quart of chili, oh yeah ---:eat:

Just a side note,  not a hijack. .

I use chili con carne when I make spaghetti...also kidney beans.

I don't like the sauce to be too runny so I only use a little Prego and then the chili and kidney beans. It's awesome! 

A Brother called it my 'cowboy spaghetti'....it gets gone pretty quickly at get togethers. Denise likes to say yuk, nobody gonna eat that.....we have never brought any back home, lolol...

Leslie,  I made one of your roast recipes once, it was really good. 

I like the sound of your chili recipe too...man, now I'm hungry again. ..:eat:

I cook black beans in the slow cooker, then drain most of the bean broth when they are soft. I add cooked ground beef, tomato sauce and a chili seasoning packet into the slow cooker. Easy and good but could probably be even better with fresher spices.

I wonder if it's possible to make a white chili, with navy beans, a lighter colored meat, white tomatoes...

1 hour ago, boodles said:

I wonder if it's possible to make a white chili, with navy beans, a lighter colored meat, white tomatoes...

You mean like pork, or turkey? That would be interesting. .

I got nothing more to offer,  I am mostly found at the other end of the line, eating, not cooking. ..:eat: y'all go for it..lolol.:cowboy:

Creamy White Chili

59e80ce721756_whitechili.jpg.f4dac437002443d8b8ae0e14d6fb69b3.jpg

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (15.5 ounce) cans great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chiles

1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

And I thought I might have had a new idea there! Oh well. It looks like it would taste interesting. Thanks for posting the recipe! :D

I remember in Mexico we sometimes made chili for the friends-once was for after a CO visit with the pioneers that was held at our apartment. We had a brother who was a baker make a bunch of round bread bowls which we filled with chili and topped with sour cream and cheese. The friends couldn't figure out what it was and they thought it had chorizo. They liked it, though.

I went to Sam's early and bought the stew meat, hamburger, beans and the pecans for the bourbon pecan cobbler. Came home and started browning the meat5 lbs of stew meat no less, and chopped all the vegetables -onions, carrots, clergy, peppers---opened the tomatoes, beans (12 cans all together, for the base) then opened the bottle of zing zing and heard my text message chime.  Looked at it (good thing because I usually don't get text messages due to our reception out here).   Text said "Event postponed!  Due to the high probability of rain and thunderstorms Chili Cookoff has been postponed till November 4th.  Thank you for understanding.' 

did I mention I discontinued my tv service 1 1/2 weeks ago?  I know I've talked about how undependable are internet service is here.  Was not planning on having to purchase groceries  twice for same event.  No room in freezer for all this chili.  I will call our service group and see if they would like to have chili spaghetti this Sunday after service.  It will teach me to check on the weather when outdoor events are planned.  I've been out of the loop without a tv. 

LeslieDean

I think I will ask our service overseer tomorrow who could use some extra meals.  I know I will give some to our newly appointed special pioneer (our retired CO who is now in our hall) .  I've been taking him by a couple of meals a week.  I am sure there are some who may be in a bind that I am not aware of who could use a crock of chili.  I've got about 4 gallons to divide. :(

LeslieDean

Went to dollar store and bought those cheap 1$ containers 3 in a pack quart size.  Suitable for freezing.  Divided it into 13 quart servings and dropped it by to a widower with three kids (teen age boys) (forgot about him).  I told him chili tonight, tomorrow Frito-Lay chili pies, cook spaghetti the next night and have 3 way chili. Cook hamburgers next night and chiliburgers. Finally cook French fries or baked potatoes and have chili fries or baked potatoes! His week is taken care of.  The boys were getting out a pot to heat it in when I left. 

LeslieDean

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

You forgot to tell them to make "chili dogs" :eat:

At which time the dogs left the house...

You ever been around a dog, that ate chili, and had gas?

They look back, like, 'what was that?' and that is a good time to go check something in the garage---whooooweee. No open flames, Danger,  Will Robinson. ..:sick:

• 2 months later...

Oh my Sandra you are correct! Everywhere is freezing. I have been making the Pioneer Woman's chili. Very simple and delicious. And instead of her canned version I make fresh black, red, and white beans all in one pot. And then add her other (sodium free) canned items. It is so good and filling. There has been an ongoing debate about what goes with chili or soup: Is it fluffy biscuits or cornbread...I have been eating biscuits with it and have been so happy. Winter is all about full bellies warmth and cozy.

dsc_07921-420x280.jpg

Prep Time:
5 Minutes
Difficulty:
Easy
Cook Time:
20 Minutes
Servings:
6 Servings
  • 1 can Meat-only Chili
  • 1 can 15-ounce Kidney Beans
  • 1 can (15 Ounce) Pinto Beans
  • 1 can (15 Oz. Size) Black Beans
  • 1 can 15-ounce Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 can (15-ounce) Corn (I Used Fiesta Variety)
  • 1 can (10 Ounce) Rotel
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • 8 ounces, weight Velveeta, Cubed
Without draining the cans, empty the corn, chili, kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans, tomatoes and tomatoes with green chilies into a large pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes to bring all the flavors together. Add salt and pepper as needed.

Dice the cheese and stir it into the soup until melted. Serve immediately.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."