JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Plea bargain for Whitney Heichel case

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3943 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Guilty-plea-expected-Monday-in-murder-of-21-year-old-Heichel-214606561.html

Living in the Portland area this was so painful to watch. Sister Ritmiller (Whitney's Mom) was on two District Convention parts, one was this weekend. Please mention their families in your prayers.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Guilty-plea-expected-Monday-in-murder-of-21-year-old-Heichel-214606561.html

Living in the Portland area this was so painful to watch. Sister Ritmiller (Whitney's Mom) was on two District Convention parts, one was this weekend. Please mention their families in your prayers.

Ugh.  I feel so sorry for both families.  Can you imagine your child doing this to someone?<sigh>

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

Ugh.  I feel so sorry for both families.  Can you imagine your child doing this to someone?<sigh>

No I cannot. And the Holt family is in need of support to, as they are victims. When our daughter ended her life by suicide, Sister Ritmiller called my wife to support her. Her family have been so strong and showed so much courage.

I was having trouble with the link. Here is another - http://www.kptv.com/story/22785819/guilty-man-charged-with-whitney-heichels-murder-changes-plea

The man who killed 21-year-old Gresham woman Whitney Heichel pleaded guilty Monday and received a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Jonathan Holt was arrested and charged with murder for the death of Heichel in October 2012.

He was set to face trial in April 2014 after originally pleading not guilty. Last month, he agreed to change his plea, and on Monday afternoon, he pleaded guilty to three counts of aggravated murder with a firearm, plus additional kidnapping and robbery charges. He told the judge he shot and killed Heichel.

Holt's wife filed for divorce on the same day he pleaded not guilty in court. A judge finalized the divorce on Dec. 11.

"As far as the sentencing goes, the plea and the sentencing, we are satisfied with it," said Lorilei Ritmiller, Heichel's mother. "Our intent was to protect the community from any other harm being inflicted upon their children, their daughters, their wives."

"I don't think it would be good for us to hand a death penalty to him," said Clint Heichel, Whitney Heichel's husband. "According to the judge, if it wasn't for us, that's probably what he would've gotten. But that's left to a higher power and he'll be dealt with in that when the time is right."

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I read in another article today that the husband took the stand and demanded Johnathan Holt look at him before Clint spoke.  Clint then said "i will see her again, you will not"  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2358839/Whitney-Heichel-murder-Husband-Clint-stares-killer-Jonathan-Holt-court.html

I am glad for the families there was no trial and I am glad he was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

I read in another article today that the husband took the stand and demanded Johnathan Holt look at him before Clint spoke.  Clint then said "i will see her again, you will not"  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2358839/Whitney-Heichel-murder-Husband-Clint-stares-killer-Jonathan-Holt-court.html

I am glad for the families there was no trial and I am glad he was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Who knows - maybe he will? I think in the New World there is going to be a lot of "crow eating" and "humble pie". I hope mine is at least tastey! :chef:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

When we went to the public memorial service for Whitney it was one of the most precious moments in my life. That October day was mild and the weather cooperated. There was long lines to the double Kingdom Hall. We had to park about 3 blocks from the Hall. We were told that the line to get would be around two hours, we said no problem. We then were greeted by Sisters offering Coffee from Starbucks, that the store Whitney had donated. There was also water and hot chocolate.

We made many new friends standing in line and shared stories. I would say the line was subdued due to the nature of the event.  As we entered into the Hall there were many pictures of the Whitney with her family.  The line was snaking through the double Hall. As we would go one way the family would go the other. It was an amazing outpouring of love.

I cried as I hugged Sister Ritmiller (Whitney's mom) and said your daughter is my daughter too. She hugged me and thanked me. I really had a nice conversation with her mom. Her mom made me cry too. Faith, faith, faith is all I can say.

Then I had a few moments with Clint Heichel. By this time it was almost 5pm and he had been there all day, taking time to thank,hug and cry with all of us. I have many friends who wanted to tell him they were thinking of him. I told him everyone from and then I listed all the towns and countries the friends has asked to send their love.

As I watched on the news these strong feelings came back....