JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Rebound Bibles

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3904 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

To those who had bibles rebound in the past:

How do you think the speckled edges are holding up compared to the gold edges?

Is the gold comparable to our deluxe bibles? Or of lesser quality?

I read on two of those websites that the speckled edges holds up better than the gold. Did you find that to be true?

I think they do, but I love the silver edges and so that's what I got. So far so good. I've had mine for 9 mos.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I have a very used, worn deluxe bible. The gold is worn off. Now it looks white with a goldish sheen. But still ok.

I have a rebound one with speckled edges that I've been using for about 8-9 years now. In the middle, where you turn pages, the speckle has faded and the white part looks a bit dirty, smdugy.

So there I would prefer the society's deluxe gold edge over the rebound speckled.

But I have no experience with the gold that the other companies use. Is it the same or inferior to the society's?

I am not absolutely certain but I don't think any body uses real gold anymore. The proof is in the pudding. Years ago when they did use real gold one would have to individually separate the pages of a new bible, now very few stick together. Plus the gold edges just don't last like they used to.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I am not absolutely certain but I don't think any body uses real gold anymore. The proof is in the pudding. Years ago when they did use real gold one would have to individually separate the pages of a new bible, now very few stick together. Plus the gold edges just don't last like they used to.

I have a fairly new bible and I think it has gold on it-just not as much. Plus I think the process, if less Gold, helped not as many pages to stick-but some still did. Gold can be drawn out exceedingly thin ( called malleable ) which is one reason it is valuable. Thus it would take very little to put on a Bible, used to be a few pennies worth -when gold was cheaper.  Just my opinion -and it maybe moot when new batch of Bibles come out.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Why is that?

Unless the reference bibles are deluxe, I would like to get mine rebound.

Speculation abounds about new bibles. We will have to wait and see. Something called "Patience" . My opinion is that reference bibles may not be deluxe -and getting them rebound ranges from $65 to $140 or so from brothers book binding stores.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I have had several Bibles rebound. A long time ago I had one done and they finished it with red on the edge of the pages. It was OK but I didn't use it much then I had some binding done by a brother in Calif. and he did such  a superior job, that I have had several done by him. I always have the gold edge put on and it looks so sharp. I wears good but after many years of heavy use, my husband's Bible is looking pretty raggedy.  This brother's work is more expensive but I think it is much superior job. Now with rumors of a new Bible, all of mine will probably be "old hat". PM me if you want more info.