JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Cameroon's president orders Pentecostal churches closed

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3875 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Cameroon's president orders Pentecostal churches closed

Yaounde, Cameroon (CNN) -- Cameroon's President Paul Biya has ordered the closure of nearly 100 Christian churches in key cities, citing criminal practices organized by Pentecostal pastors that threaten the security of the West African nation.

But Pentecostal pastors said the move is evidence of Biya's insecurity about the churches' criticism of the government.

Biya is using the military to permanently shut down all Pentecostal church denominations in the nation's capital, Yaounde, and the North West Regional capital, Bamenda, which have the largest Christian populations in Cameroon.

More than 50 churches have now been closed, with the government targeting nearly 100 in eight other regions.

"We will get rid of all the so-called Christian Pentecostal pastors who misuse the name of Jesus Christ to fake miracles and kill citizens in their churches. They have outstretched their liberty," Mbu Anthony Lang, a government official in Bamenda, told CNN Wednesday.

Nearly 500 Pentecostal churches operate in Cameroon, but fewer than 50 are legal, he added.

On Sunday, a 9-year-old Christian girl collapsed and died during a prayer session in Winners' Chapel, a Pentecostal church in Bamenda. The girl's mother, Mih Theresa, told CNN Wednesday that the pastor intended to cast out the numerous demons that were in control of her daughter's life.

"I want the government to stop these pastors who use mysterious powers to pull Christians and kill then for more powers. All my children have ran away from the Catholic Church in search for miracles, signs and wonders," she told CNN while holding back tears.

Another Christian, Mveng Thomas, said his marriage ended abruptly when a Pentecostal pastor ordered his wife to dissolve their union. He said the pastor described him as "an unrepentant devil."

Pastors marched against the government's decision Wednesday in Bamenda and Douala. Pastors said the Biya government sees the mass proliferation of churches as a threat.

Boniface Tum, a bishop of the Christian Church of God in Yaounde, said that Biya, who has been president since 1982, is becoming insecure about the freedom of speech within these churches.

"Authorizing only the Catholic, Presbyterian, Baptist, Muslim, and a few other churches, is a strict violation of the right to religion," Tum added.

Targeted Pentecostal Christians in Bamenda are transforming their private homes into churches.

North West Regional governor Adolphe Lele L'Afrique said Wednesday that police had discovered the abduction of 30 children under age 18 by a pastor in Bamenda. The pastor said he wanted to remove the children from a bad society, Lele added.

Government officials also say that some pastors convince congregants that they do not need professional medical treatment for their ailments.

"How can a pastor say the sick needs no medical doctor? We need sanity in our Christian lives," Nyang Blaise, a youth leader for Biya's ruling party, CPDM, told CNN.

One woman said her mother was refusing cancer treatments because of her pastor.

"My mother's condition is worsening after doctors confirmed she had cancer. She is dying silently, and yet we cannot persuade her to see a doctor for proper treatment, against her pastor's wish," Deborah Tanyi said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/14/world/africa/cameroon-churches/index.html

Thanks for alerting us to this story, but be forwarned anyone else who reads the story, because in the comment section it has become a discussion how JWs refuse life saving medical treatments, apostates, etc.

Thank You for the heads up on this story.

And, Thanks for posting the STORY instead of a link to the story.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thank You for the heads up on this story.

And, Thanks for posting the STORY instead of a link to the story.

I always do, unless it's just a video  :mellow:

Edited by Musky

messed up smiley

Excellent post...

Wouldn't it be interesting to find that the information in this post actually was the very action that got the ball rolling for the GT so to speak?

Edited by Jordan

Do we need permission to post the story instead of a link? 

http://www.cnn.com/interactive_legal.html

3. Copyright Ownership.
CNN.com contains copyrighted material, trademarks and other proprietary information, including, but not limited to, text, software, photos, video, graphics, music and sound, and the entire contents of CNN.com are copyrighted as a collective work under the United States copyright laws. CNN owns copyright in the selection, coordination, arrangement and enhancement of such content, as well as in the content original to it. You may not modify, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit, any of the content, in whole or in part. You may download copyrighted material for your personal use only. Except as otherwise expressly permitted under copyright law, no copying, redistribution, retransmission, publication or commercial exploitation of downloaded material will be permitted without the express permission of CNN and the copyright owner. In the event of any permitted copying, redistribution or publication of copyrighted material, no changes in or deletion of author attribution, trademark legend or copyright notice shall be made. You acknowledge that you do not acquire any ownership rights by downloading copyrighted material.

Edited by steadfast

Yes, but what gives them the "right" to install tracking cookies MY computer? They used these cookies on the "legal" link you posted without asking my permission.

Audience Science
Facebook Connect
Krux Digital
NetRatings SiteCensus
ScoreCard Research Beacon

Three of these five cookies share their data with third parties.

And, though some of these cookies may not be collecting data that includes personal information, it does not take visiting many sites to accumulate 20, 30, 40, 50 or more tracking cookies that are not only collecting data, they are using computer resources, thus slowing your/my computer down.

Until I started removing these cookies on a regular (daily/session) basis I wondered why my computer would get so slow. Now that I block them, I do not have as many to remove. I also do not have as many "pop-ups" trying to open that get past the pop-up blockers. It also prevents many of those irritating ads that start playing audio when the page loads - often audio that is an ad, not a news story.

It's perfectly legal to post as long as you do it with a link - some place will ask you to please only post "PART" of the story and link to the rest of it. The reason they have that in place is for people that will steal the news and "re-sell it+ this forum however is not selling anything and is not monetized to make a profit on any post, article, membership, affiliate banner ads (media buys). 

They would warn the owner and at that point it would be his call as to what he wants to do, The information here gives credit to the actual news source so it's not likely at all DCMA will be dropped. I have been to places and own places where they contact you and ask that  you only post "part of the article" and then direct "free members" to their site so they can make money from them, possibly.

But I wouldn't  be too alarmed about a free membership site that is not monetized, it's all about the money brother... 

Edited by Jordan

Yes, but what gives them the "right" to install tracking cookies MY computer? They used these cookies on the "legal" link you posted without asking my permission.

Audience Science

Facebook Connect

Krux Digital

NetRatings SiteCensus

ScoreCard Research Beacon

Three of these five cookies share their data with third parties.

And, though some of these cookies may not be collecting data that includes personal information, it does not take visiting many sites to accumulate 20, 30, 40, 50 or more tracking cookies that are not only collecting data, they are using computer resources, thus slowing your/my computer down.

Until I started removing these cookies on a regular (daily/session) basis I wondered why my computer would get so slow. Now that I block them, I do not have as many to remove. I also do not have as many "pop-ups" trying to open that get past the pop-up blockers. It also prevents many of those irritating ads that start playing audio when the page loads - often audio that is an ad, not a news story.

Facebook, google and others constantly put cookies on your browser and follow you - nothing new - that's for their re-targeting PPC efforts. Facebook takes it one step further and actually sells that information which anyone here could buy if they want to. I've see Google try and use evercookies in the not so long ago past but others caught them and they stopped doing it --- for now.

My suggestion is if this bothers you get these items:

https://adblockplus.org/en/

http://noscript.net/

and if you want to actually SEE whos dropping cookies on you:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/live-http-headers/

There are similar items for Chrome also - and in my personal opinion Chrome is a better browser however google makes it known they do take information from YOUR chrome browser. I don't like that.

There are other browsers like http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/unified/1212/ that are underrated and very good -- try one.

Something else that came to mind - I don't know about everyone else but it's very common that even though the article is posted in the forum, for those reading it to still go to that site and check out what else is being said, pictures, videos etc... CNN sees the referrer and knows they are getting "fresh" traffic from this site - it's not likely they would stop that - that's a possible buck for them and bragging rights.

Facebook, google and others constantly put cookies on your browser and follow you - nothing new - that's for their re-targeting PPC efforts. Facebook takes it one step further and actually sells that information ...

Yes, and Facebook is one of the "cookies" I block. I don't care what they want to track .... I do NOT have a Facebook account, so I never agreed for them to track what I do on other sites. Thus, the blocking software.

Now that we have gone so far :offtopic: ....

Let's get back to the thread

• 5 weeks later...

There is only this news article's report of what the church was doing that caused it to be banned. More reports from different sources, not cribbed from this one, would show up if the people coming forward with testimony to the extreme activity of the Churches named were genuine or paid to/asked to by rival parties in religion or politics for their own ends. I would not deny though that the named church has interfered in politics, just some of the other claims of killing their worshippers and breaking up marriages sounds all too familiar.

Some of these testimonies do seem similar to the trumped up reports by so-called ex-Witnesses in Russia that we know to be absurd, but put out by our enemies for their own warped reasons to get us banned.   

If this persecution starts with these churches (and I believe Baptists have come under similar scrutiny) as has been said above, how long before others are rightly or wrongly banned too?