JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Here we go again...

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3858 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Fortunately, I have insurance through my job already and that is not going to change. I do have many friends who own their own businesses and they are VERY happy to finally get a good plan, well negotiated and help with the payments. At least as you say - while this system is still standing - they will have one less thing to worry about - affordable health care.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Also as this is in the government shut down thread. That is what is odd Obama- Care will continue no matter what is decided. It isn't tied to the regular appropriation bills.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

The sad thing I find is..it was said while the Federal employees were forced to take a day of.

They wouldn't get paid. But those in congress who caused this event will get full paid.

Makes you wish Robyn hood was a real person.

I hope when it comes time to pay the bills. The companies have some sympathy.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

On occasion I teach classes for the National Fire Academy (NFA) .

My classes are teaching fire fighters about reading blue prints - especially for buildings and the fire prevention systems inside. There are also classes showing them how the various systems work. The NFA has a really nice lab with a mock-up smoke control system for high rises and also a wet lab - where we teach them all about the various fire suppression systems. They even get to take one of  the fire sprinkler risers apart and put it back together. It is GREAT training for these FF who know about EMS things and how to put water on a fire, but may not know about all the other tools they have at their disposal and better ways to use them. Also, how to see and deal with various building construction "issues" they may encounter. 

I just received this message:

During the Government shutdown, the NFA off-campus classes will be conducted, as per the schedule.   Unfortunately, the NFA staff will not be available to assist you, but we have confidence that you will do everything possible to ensure a successful delivery of the course. If you must cancel for any reason, please coordinate directly with your State contact.

Due to the funding hiatus, the campus will be shutdown and all on-campus activities will be suspended.  We will notify you when the classes resume.  Please stand by for updates; we will do our best to keep you informed.

Sending FF back to their home states from Maryland. This after they took a week to 2 weeks off to attend these classes. Not to mention all the other classes NFA offers. (http://www.usfa.fema.gov/nfa/ )This whole thing is very sad.

Soon .....

President Obama stated he is doing this for a bigger and better military.

Wants the military to be the best/supreme force in the world. As well as having health care made available for most people.

I watched as he was saying his speech. Kinda imagine Pharaoh standing in his place giving the speech.

@Jerry you have an interesting Job.

How did you get into it?

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

@Jerry you have an interesting Job.

How did you get into it?

That is just the side job. I work for the City I live in - www.cityofhenderson.com

I was a fire prevention plans examiner and an inspector. Over the years I went to those classes and due to my participation in them (and thanks a LOT to our Theocratic Ministry School) they asked if I would be interested in teaching the class. I jumped at the chance. I only do one class a year - due to my schedule.

I still have all my certifications, but since 2007 when the economy tanked - the City shrank my department in half. I was moved to the Finance department where I am an analyst. Its a good job and I am happy to be working.

To get back on topic - Sadly, I am constantly looking at the economic news as part my job. I help determine the impact current events will have on the City and also forecast future events. Thanks to our Bible training - I am not to bad at forecasting. 

Our team sees this shutdown lasting for a few weeks - as each side blames the other. Only once a majority of the people (more than the current 46% (http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/30/politics/cnn-poll-shutdown-blame/?hpt=hp_t1 ) who blame the GOP and WAY more than the current 36% who blame the democrats and the President. Once one side or the other gets more than 50% blame - it will stop. 

What is scary is the debt ceiling "negotiations" will hit during that time and if this all gets rapped together - this may take a month or more and that is when we see this really hitting the economy in the US. The US govt is the largest employer in the US. When 800,000 people stop paying their bills or dramatically slow their spending - especially just before the Christmas season of spending - that is NOT good news for the US economy.

For us as God's people. We just keep putting God's Kingdom AND His righteousness first and we know He will take care of our needs (Matt 6:33).

Soon .....

Wow thanks for the insight Cool Job.

I agree with you Matt 6:33 is the only code to live by. It is amazing How Jehovah does care of all our needs. His kingdom can't be far of.

( I am looking forward to hearing the special talk on Sunday is anyone else getting it?)

Jeremiah 10:23 states that earthling man his way does not belong for man to direct his own steps. Then Rev 12:12; says the Devil has come down to you, having great anger. Not being able to raise Cain in heaven, we get the brunt of that anger. Bet he and the demons aree working D.C. pretty hard, from what the news is saying.

God at no time said mankind could rule. Like Satan, mankind has taken on a task, that only heavenly forces could control.

Makes me sorta happy to be one of the minions who follow the Kingdom good news. And I have enjoyed this past 4 lessons in the study Watchtower so much! Thanking Jehovah for the insight to know what in the world is going on!

It's all just crazy... I for one will be able to benefit from Obamacare.. I cannot afford medical insurance as it is right now.. for just me and my husband premium is about 400 a month.. especially when I'm already poor.. I don't understand why soo many people are opposed to it.. 

Because it's not really free health care and they no longer have it listed as "free health-care". It's now "low cost health care." For the most part it creates new spending and mandates that will raise costs and decrease the quality of health-care. That's not a scare tactic that's just how it is. Unless you’re a 26-year old male who doesn’t smoke or drink and you’ve never visited a doctor in your life, you’re not going to qualify for that $95 package. It's more, and that's before the deductible. Has anyone here actually read any part of the act?

Only the insurances companies will win and the fact is neither way will give us eternal life. I'm curious now, what do you think you'll be paying for "Obamacare"?

And the Government isn't really shutting down. All key functions of the Government will continue. It's a deceptive misnomer and it's used to create fear and panic. Taxes will still be collected, garbage will still be collected, SS, mail, Medicare, schools will stay open, mars rover will continue to explore mars, etc... many FED employees will still get overtime pay yada yada... Also known as Washington Monument Syndrome -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_Syndrome , Nothing new here...

The timing between the debt ceiling and the proposal wasn't dumb luck... it's the perfect amount of pressure on people that don't get it to incite panic. Same thing happened with "too big to fail" pass the bill or the end of the world will come it wasn't a coincidence then either. Maximum pressure and scare tactics to sway public opinion. Probably why we are told not to fear man. Keeps us from falling into a trap and looking like boneheads in the process.

All "800k non essential federal employees" will indeed feel the effects, the country wont collapse, food will still be in the stores, the economy will not be stopped by 800k  more people added to the already 11.3 million without work. And that is definitely terrible for those Governmental employees , roughly a 3rd, but is by no means a doomsday scenario and America wont collapse (unless of course that is Jehovah's will). In many ways it's a good thing, economically by trimming the fat and balancing the budget, after all who doesn't want to balance the budget by continuing to raise the debt ceiling and pay insane amounts of interest on lent money that never existed? <sarcasm>

The reason why we want this system to end is because Jehovah is the only one we can trust with our lives - the rest is a lie... and of course primarily the vindication of his name. America and those that run it are the Beast, they are pathological liars, all of them, not just one party, all of them. Don't get caught up in the game. The end result they desire is global collectivism, one step at a time. I should say Satan since he is the one running this party...

ALL SIDES comprise the Beast... the political system IS the Beast. Do you trust the Beast for anything or any reason? I know I don't.

Edited by Jordan

Because it's not really free health care and they no longer have it listed as "free health-care". It's now "low cost health care." For the most part it creates new spending and mandates that will raise costs and decrease the quality of health-care. That's not a scare tactic that's just how it is. Unless you’re a 26-year old male who doesn’t smoke or drink and you’ve never visited a doctor in your life, you’re not going to qualify for that $95 package. It's more, and that's before the deductible. Has anyone here actually read any part of the act?

Only the insurances companies will win and the fact is neither way will give us eternal life. I'm curious now, what do you think you'll be paying for "Obamacare"?

And the Government isn't really shutting down. All key functions of the Government will continue. It's a deceptive misnomer and it's used to create fear and panic. Taxes will still be collected, garbage will still be collected, SS, mail, Medicare, schools will stay open, mars rover will continue to explore mars, etc... many FED employees will still get overtime pay yada yada... Also known as Washington Monument Syndrome -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_Syndrome , Nothing new here...

The timing between the debt ceiling and the proposal wasn't dumb luck... it's the perfect amount of pressure on people that don't get it to incite panic. Same thing happened with "too big to fail" pass the bill or the end of the world will come it wasn't a coincidence then either. Maximum pressure and scare tactics to sway public opinion. Probably why we are told not to fear man. Keeps us from falling into a trap and looking like boneheads in the process.

All "800k non essential federal employees" will indeed feel the effects, the country wont collapse, food will still be in the stores, the economy will not be stopped by 800k  more people added to the already 11.3 million without work. And that is definitely terrible for those Governmental employees , roughly a 3rd, but is by no means a doomsday scenario and America wont collapse (unless of course that is Jehovah's will). In many ways it's a good thing, economically by trimming the fat and balancing the budget, after all who doesn't want to balance the budget by continuing to raise the debt ceiling and pay insane amounts of interest on lent money that never existed? <sarcasm>

The reason why we want this system to end is because Jehovah is the only one we can trust with our lives - the rest is a lie... and of course primarily the vindication of his name. America and those that run it are the Beast, they are pathological liars, all of them, not just one party, all of them. Don't get caught up in the game. The end result they desire is global collectivism, one step at a time. I should say Satan since he is the one running this party...

ALL SIDES comprise the Beast... the political system IS the Beast. Do you trust the Beast for anything or any reason? I know I don't.

well I'm already paying tons of taxes I don't benefit from.. but anyway I am below the poverty level.. So this will enable us to get coverage without a premium right now.. I have a family of 5.. of course only Jehovah can bring us perfect health.. but as of right now there are MANY of us who need health care and medications just to function in daily life.. and when it's made available for you to afford what you need it does help.. I work hard... but my job just doesn't pay as much as I would like.. I am fortunate to even have a job in this economy... however even though I can barely pay my bills sometimes we do need health insurance so that we can work.. my husband has psoriatic arthritis and is unable to perform the functions of a job, so insurance would help him get the meds he needs to slow the progression and make it less painful for him to get around.. I understand that some people will not benefit from it.. but for poor people it will help.. as it stood before obamacare, we could not win for losing.. I work so I made too much to qualify for assistance but not enough to pay for insurance.. even though we've been below the poverty levels for a long time.. 

signature2.jpg

The shutdown now has the potential of hurting kids all across the country - http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/education/clark-county-school-district-draws-emergency-funding-cover-free-lunches

This whole thing is very sad. I hope it ends soon - both the shutdown and this crazy system of things!!!

The federal government reimburses the Clark County School District for daily feeding 186,410 poor students at either a reduced price or for free. But, as of Tuesday, the U.S. Department of Agriculture won’t be there to foot the bill, which averages $9 million a month for Clark County students receiving free or reduced-price meals.

The federal shutdown has cut off the USDA’s reimbursements and even its website. School districts nationwide are left to find a way to pay the cost of providing meals to their poorest students until the shutdown is over.

“Many of the students in this program do not eat if they don’t eat at school,” said Deputy Superintendent Kim Wooden, calling the federal program “critical” in a district where nearly 60 percent of the 315,000 students participate.

Clark County schools won’t start charging students whose families fall below a certain income level, which varies depending on family size.

Soon .....

They have programs here during the summer and during the school year called Back pack programs where on Fridays the kids are given back packs with food to take home so they will have something to eat at home. And they pick up their bags on Monday during the summer for the week. Sad thing many kids report their parents are eating up their meager supplies. So sad.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Gun Shots  outside the White House.  They are on lock down.   Today.

Sounds likes someone is frustrated and fed up!!

I was just talking to a co-worker and he said we probably will see more of this type of thing, and, in fact, he said he hopes we do!!

Wow.

well I'm already paying tons of taxes I don't benefit from.. but anyway I am below the poverty level.. So this will enable us to get coverage without a premium right now.. I have a family of 5.. of course only Jehovah can bring us perfect health.. but as of right now there are MANY of us who need health care and medications just to function in daily life.. and when it's made available for you to afford what you need it does help.. I work hard... but my job just doesn't pay as much as I would like.. I am fortunate to even have a job in this economy... however even though I can barely pay my bills sometimes we do need health insurance so that we can work.. my husband has psoriatic arthritis and is unable to perform the functions of a job, so insurance would help him get the meds he needs to slow the progression and make it less painful for him to get around.. I understand that some people will not benefit from it.. but for poor people it will help.. as it stood before obamacare, we could not win for losing.. I work so I made too much to qualify for assistance but not enough to pay for insurance.. even though we've been below the poverty levels for a long time.. 

I'm sorry to hear that - I wish I could help and I know that sounds superficial, but I really do mean it.

but for poor people it will help

Some poor it will help and some it will not. The taxes are both "progressive" (aimed at rich people) and "regressive" (aimed at the middle class and poor people). Most of the new taxes hit you no matter how much you're making. In the movie The Princess Bride there is a part in the movie where one of the characters says "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." That's kind of how it is with the "affordable care act." It's not what you think it is. There is going to be a shockingly large number of poor single people that will be hurt by it.

There are the The Taxes & Subsidies these bills will require low and middle income workers to pay a percentage of their income toward this mandatory health insurance. The percentage paid will rise as the workers income rises thus consuming a larger share of each additional dollar earned. This tax also rises with the average growth rate of health insurance premiums completely independent of income. Therefore, a workers yearly income could go down while the cost of the insurance goes UP. One of many problems for the poor in the new plan.

Some brothers and sisters MIGHT do better healthcare wise, and I hope you and yours are one of them, with this new "affordable care act" many others will hurt because of it - I'm glad I'm not the one in charge of that decision. I'm very in favor of Jehovah's health plan.