JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

anyone into Sweet Potatoes?

Doretha, appreciate your mouth-watering recipe :D

MMMmmm.....  :thumbsup:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

I found the recipe!

Microwave Chips

1 1/3 pound of gold or red potatoes

2 tsp oil

1/2 tsp salt

Slice thinly. Toss in a bowl w all ingredients and coat evenly. Coat a large microwavable plate a cooking spray. Arrange in a single layer on bowl. Microwave 2 - 3 mins. Check frequently to prevent scorching. Transfer to another plate and allow to cool. They will crisp even more.

Delightful Dip

1/2 avocado

1/2 cup greek yogurt

garlic

chives

Oh my my mouth is watering for this delight ful treat especially for tonights game!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Microwave Chips

1 1/3 pound of gold or red potatoes

2 tsp oil

1/2 tsp salt

Slice thinly. Toss in a bowl w all ingredients and coat evenly. Coat a large microwavable plate a cooking spray. Arrange in a single layer on bowl. Microwave 2 - 3 mins. Check frequently to prevent scorching. Transfer to another plate and allow to cool. They will crisp even more.

when I prepared them this way, the ones that did not burn were soggy. 

and a little rubbery.

it was like eating little round discs of rubber. a bit too chewy.

what did I do wrong? :S

still shopping for a dehydrator... can make many snacks for the ministry :yes:

Edited by feather

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

when I prepared them this way, the ones that did not burn were soggy. 

and a little rubbery.

it was like eating little round discs of rubber. a bit too chewy.

what did I do wrong? :S

still shopping for a dehydrator... can make many snacks for the ministry :yes:

ok, I have to share this, Pampered Chef has 2 microwave tools for making potato chips, one is an easy slicer that slices your veggies or potatoes super think in just seconds!, the other is a micro-wave plate for cooking them.... they are literally done in minutes, perfectly, no fat and nice and crunchy!, you might want to look into it!  

• 3 months later...

Okay, this might seem a bit weird, but I actually go more for the savory side of things when it comes to sweet potatoes . . .

I eat them just like I would a baked potato - a little butter, sour cream, maybe some bacon bits.

Also have mashed them and sprinkled in feta and fresh cracked pepper and those were really good too.

i'm making myself hungry . . .

Ok girls her is a lesson coming from your neighbor Way up North.

Here a sweet potato is with white flesh and what we call Yams ( your sweet potato) has orange flesh.

I love both and yes they are packed with nutrition. Here is a few things I do with them.

Soup ( so many good recipes on the net) one I just made that we had on our way home in Korea was a white fleshed sweet potato soup with a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg and maple syrup. Puréed after all ingredients are cooked.

I throw 1 Yam ( orange flesh) into my white potatoes and mash using organic chicken broth,salt n pepper( no fat pure nutrition) .

When we put a full day in service the sisters often bring just plain baked sweet potatoes ( white flesh) as a snack . I love when they share :)

There is also lots of recipes to make oven fries using a bit of olive oil.

As I always say I yam what I yam ..........:)

I share what ever I have with you Angela!

Miss Mouse I am going to try the soup but it really sounds like a heavenly desert'

I have seen the white fleshed yams and have only tried them once- they tasted like a very mild flavored sweet potato-flavor not as strongbox very good.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

• 2 weeks later...

post-1083-0-39665200-1390751760.jpg

Smoky sweet potato hummus 

Ingredients:

Makes 4 cups

1 pound sweet potatoes (roughly 2 medium)

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1 teaspoon chopped chipotle chili, canned in adobo sauce

1 garlic clove chopped

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons tahini

course sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Method:

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Pierce potatoes several times with a fork; place on a foil lined baking sheet.  Bake for 1 hour or until tender.  Cool slightly, then peel and add to the bowl of a food processor.  Add chickpeas, lime juice, tahini, olive oil, chipotle and garlic.  Puree until smooth and thin with up to 2 tablespoons of water if necessary.  Add ¼ teaspoon salt and season with pepper.  Refrigerate for up to 1 week in an airtight container.  Garnish with additional olive oil and smoked paprika before serving.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 3 weeks later...

Once held a Bible study at a table full of freshly harvested sweet potato's.

Dirt and all. :chef:

I did ask why? She said they needed to dry out before putting them away.

The study went fine, she is our Sister now.

The seed landed o. Good soil, huh!

LeslieDean

Sweet potatoes are great in a beef stew, especially when you use a beefy, tomato base with a little bit of burgundy.  They add a nice balance to the savory!  Also, sweet potato rolls and breads, made with whole grain flours like wheat and oat, really add a nice dense, moistness while infusing the whole grain flours with just a hint of sweetness!  Good with the stew or a roast beef dinner, a turkey dinner or chicken dinner! 

smoky.jpg

Smoky sweet potato hummus

Ingredients:

Makes 4 cups

1 pound sweet potatoes (roughly 2 medium)

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1 teaspoon chopped chipotle chili, canned in adobo sauce

1 garlic clove chopped

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons tahini

course sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Method:

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Pierce potatoes several times with a fork; place on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour or until tender. Cool slightly, then peel and add to the bowl of a food processor. Add chickpeas, lime juice, tahini, olive oil, chipotle and garlic. Puree until smooth and thin with up to 2 tablespoons of water if necessary. Add ¼ teaspoon salt and season with pepper. Refrigerate for up to 1 week in an airtight container. Garnish with additional olive oil and smoked paprika before serving.

Now that's just down right mean to post that photo and not gave any samples to give! I really hope to try it.

LeslieDean

I made this and it's really good, this coming from someone who isn't a fan of sweet potato. But next time i'll be more careful with the chipotle chili, 1 tsp. is enough to burn my nose off and I like hot stuff. I added a sprinkle of baking soda to take some of the fire out and it's fine.  

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Sweet potatoes are great in a beef stew, especially when you use a beefy, tomato base with a little bit of burgundy.  They add a nice balance to the savory!  Also, sweet potato rolls and breads, made with whole grain flours like wheat and oat, really add a nice dense, moistness/ It while infusing the whole grain flours with just a hint of sweetness!  Good with the stew or a roast beef dinner, a turkey dinner or chicken dinner! 

Holly, can I have this recipe? I'm not a fan of the sweet potato, I like yams only a bit better, but SP are so good for you I'll try anything with them in it. 

Oh hey Leslie, maybe the sweet roll- raspberry/cream cheese- could be made with the dough, it'll be healthy!

11/2 C white sugar (or you can use 1C white, 1/2 C brown) (you can also use only 1C of sugar for a less sweet bread)

1/2 C vegetable oil (batter is wet, can substitute apple sauce, but add about 10 minutes baking time)

2 eggs

13/4 C sifted white flour (or you could do 1/2 of it wheat)

1ts baking soda

1/4 ts salt

1/2 ts cinnamon

1/2 ts nutmeg (optional)

1/3 C water

1C cooked/mashed sweet potatoes (or yams) (can used canned, I prefer fresh and I bake them over boiling them)

1/2 C chopped pecans (optional)

combine sugar and oil, beat well, add eggs and beat well (use larger of 2 bowls)

combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg in separate bowl

add flour mixture to egg mixture, alternating with the water

stir in sweet potatoes and nuts just until combined... do not over-mix (this is a wetter-type batter/dough)

pour into 9 x 5 loaf pan (can also make them into muffins, adjust bake time)

bake in 350* oven for about 1 hour

• 4 weeks later...