JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hello Lover, its been a long time...

since I tasted your sweetness on my lips!

Yeah!  The nut farm down the road from us finally started selling their pecans!  I stopped and bought a 20# bag of pecan halves to make this:

Pecan Pie Cobbler!

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/pecan-pie-cobbler/e80c0a67-ebca-47c6-92b1-1668aea716e3

Oh my.  I am excited can you tell?  Now I am going home to make this delightful, calorie free slice of heaven.  I will swim an extra mile this week but tonight I am having this!

If it turns out pretty I will try and post a photo later.  Do you guys like taking pictures of your culinary delights?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I just had an Amish made oatmeal pie that was to die for!Like a pecan pie but oatmeal.Really.It was one of the best pies I've ever had.

I bet the pecan peach would be wonderful!I can't eat pecans but I could make it with oatmeal.

I'd love to see a pic!

My mother-in-law had a pecan tree.I loved shelling them.I sat and shelled an entire brown paper bag full one day.

Edited by Peace

Yes Leslie please post some Pics. I love Pecan pie. especially with the caramel sauce.

Yes I like to take pics of my creation. Its like a collection of some that where a success & some that em"" wont do that again. <_<

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Oh Carol I would love to see some of your pics! I am not a baker. To me it requires patience, artistic flare and is a science. I am just a self taught cook who by chance have been able to rub elbows in the kitchen with some really notable chefs. They taught me a few things that I have really come to appreciate . But a baker -no. I have pecan pies rarely because they are so sweet. I did try a pecan pie at a get together once because I was told it was not as sweet as most pecan pies and I found I did not like it. Do you have Splenda over there in your neck of the world? You use duppose to be able to use it just like sugar-spoon for spoon or cup for cup. It is a auger replacement. I don't know if that would help or not because why I like it is because of its likeness to sugar. I wish you were closer where you could teach me about baking...I will let you know how this turns out.

LeslieDean

Yes Leslie please post some Pics. I love Pecan pie. especially with the caramel sauce.

Yes I like to take pics of my creation. Its like a collection of some that where a success & some that em"" wont do that again. <_<

Morning sweet Gabe! I am doing okay. The health dept will be managing my care (a little scarey but they have top access to some leading physicians since it a communicable disease --mine is latent but they want to monitor it due to my history of brain tumor and toxic exposure and all the immunosuppressant meds I have been on---I am what the medical world calls a Fascinating and unique case--here I thought they were just trying to flatter me but it turns out that is the term for these types of studies and monitored cases).

I see you appear to be coming along I eventful in your recovery and for that I am grateful. I will let you know if you will have to add this to your gotta have it recipe box!

LeslieDean

I just had an Amish made oatmeal pie that was to die for!Like a pecan pie but oatmeal.Really.It was one of the best pies I've ever had.

I bet the pecan peach would be wonderful!I can't eat pecans but I could make it with oatmeal.

I'd love to see a pic!

My mother-in-law had a pecan tree.I loved shelling them.I sat and shelled an entire brown paper bag full one day.

Okay Nancy! You have my attention! That sounds lovely too. I will have to search for a recipe for that one. Did you buy it or someone make it? You have a large Amish population in your area?

It seems like a fine way to reward yourself after pioneering all day!

Next time enjoy a slice for me'

LeslieDean

Old-Fashion Oatmeal Pie

By Steven L. on September 18, 2001

· Prep Time: 30 mins

· Total Time: 1 hrs 15 mins

· Servings: 6-8

About This Recipe

"This great pie recipe goes back over 100 years. The recipe came from my grandmother's grandmother who was living in Charleston, South Carolina during the 1860's. Family history has it, that during the Civil War, since pecans were in short supply in the South, oatmeal was substituted for the traditional pecan pie and the results were astonishing. Now served at every family gathering since that time."

Ingredients

· 1 (9 inch) pie crusts

· 4 eggs

· 1 cup sugar

· 2 tablespoons flour

· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

· 1/4 teaspoon salt

· 1 cup light corn syrup

· 1/8-1/4 cup melted butter

· 1 teaspoon vanilla

· 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal ( uncooked)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Beat eggs until frothy.

Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl.

Add eggs; mix well.

Add corn syrup, melted butter, and vanilla.

Mix oatmeal.

Pour into uncooked shell.

Bake for 45 minutes.

Sounds Good to me.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

That's great Leslie.

Going fine.

Getting a lot of kind help.

Nother 4 weeks before can drive.

Been sleeping for last few days.

& a bit breathless maybe it's cause of the smoke. Xo

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

You know how they say that one person's trash is another person's art?  Well, I am happy for you that you can get the pecans and make the pie/cobbler you so enjoy.

For me, I have never liked pecan pie and I am not a huge fan of pecans in general. It is not that I have not eaten them, quite the opposite, all I have to do is go outside and pick them up ... yep, we have several pecan trees on our land .... and most of the nuts go to the squirrels.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I would be really upset if someone ate something I spent so much time on! On cruise shops I am always in awe of the ice sculptures and garnishment a that look like flowers and such. I am just not that creative and precise. I do admire the artistic ability though,

LeslieDean

Okay Nancy! You have my attention! That sounds lovely too. I will have to search for a recipe for that one. Did you buy it or someone make it? You have a large Amish population in your area?

It seems like a fine way to reward yourself after pioneering all day!

Next time enjoy a slice for me'

I bought the Oatmeal Pie at an Amish bulk food store.Ingredients include lard in the pie crust and lots of eggs.

Vernalees recipe sounds good.

I love pecans but every pecan pie I've tried is way too sweet for me. Do you have a good recipe to share ? I always take pictures of my food, especially baking , as I bake to sell.

Carol--I made this pecan cobbler on Saturday and I agree with you about them being so sweet.  But I changed the above recipe a little and used 2 cups of honey instead of Karo syrup. and added 1/2 cup of Burbon (Makers Mark was what I used but I did it again on Sunday and used Jack Daniels--tasted the same)  I believe the bourbon helped to decrease the sweetness plus the honeyis not as sweet as Karo.  EVERYONE asked how to make it because it was the best pecan pie they ever ate!  One young lady said she had never ate pecan pie and asked her date if that was the way pecan pies were suppose to taste.  He said he thought that was the way they "were suppose to taste" BUT he had never had one that tasted that way! LOL  Plus the double crusts baked up very flakey and it was so easy to make.  Maybe you will like this one.  Anyway, I served it warm with heavy whipping cream with a spoonful of burbon stirred in.  Delish!

LeslieDean