JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Typhoon Haiyan class 4 heading to Philippines

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3805 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Thank you Samira for this wonderful update on our Brothers Philippines. I came across this article when for a scripture to best describe our loving God Jehovah, it is so on point. http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002646?q=taste+Jehovah&p=par

Ps 34:8    Taste and see that Jehovah is good; Happy is the man who takes refuge in him.

Watchtower Medical Team 

A volunteer group of Jehovah's Witness doctors left Manila Tuesday to assist victims of the typhoon in Tacloban, Samar and Leyte. They carried nearly 200kg of medical supplies including antibiotics. We wish them much success on their journey.

Quelle: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1060363

From the US branch:

Many publishers have inquired how to contribute to the disaster relief effort underway following the recent disasters in the Philippines. Never underestimate the good effect that your prayers can have on the brothers in an area that has been struck by a disaster. (2 Cor. 1:8-11) You may also feel motivated to express your concern through a donation. The November 2005 issue of Our Kingdom Ministry, page 3, stated: “It is recommended that donations for humanitarian and relief assistance be made to the worldwide work. This fund is used for relief efforts as well as for advancing the spiritual needs of the Christian brotherhood. If, for some reason, a person wishes to make a relief donation separate from contributions to the worldwide work, it will still be accepted and used wherever there is a need for relief assistance. However, it would be appreciated if such donations are made without restrictions as to where and how the funds may be used.” Additionally, at this time, there is no need for donations of food, clothing, or other items. If such needs arise in the future, you will be notified accordingly.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

From the US branch:

. . .

However, it would be appreciated if such donations are made without restrictions as to where and how the funds may be used.”

. . .

I appreciate that reminder. Several years ago I sent a donation to the Society and asked that it be used to benefit the brothers affected by the tsunami in southeast Asia December 26, 2004. Just a short time afterward, a letter was read in the congregation asking us not to specify where donations should be used. Needless to say, I felt that letter was written just for me... :blushing:

from a brother in Manila :

In Tagloban where the worst of the storm and flooding was it is like in Jerusalem in 70CE. It is like a war zone. Everybody stealing what they can from others. 

So the JW Organisation evacuated all the brothers from the city. They purchased a large portion of land outside the city. There they put all the aid and food supplies and have protected it against looting. 

There the District convention will take place,  as the brothers are all outside the danger zone. There they will build a simple housing for all the brothers inside this area. It will be a small village just made up of Jehovah's Witnesses. 

Is that not fantastic news? 

Sis, who is your source, if you don't mind me asking? That is awesome news. My wife and I imagine :thumbsup:  that situation during the GT.  

• 2 weeks later...

from a brother we know:

All the relatives of the Bethelites from Tacloban, the hardest hit city, are accounted for and are safe. The brothers from Tacloban will be resettled near Calbayog City, about 106 miles away from Tacloban. The Society leased a 1.5 hectare of land for some years so houses can be built for the brothers. A medical facility was already put up there manned by 3 brothers from France. They are teaching medical volunteers to care for the victims. I believe a Kingdom Hall will also rise up there. And as an icing to the cake, brother Mark Sanderson, the newest Governing Body member, will be coming on the 2nd week of December to comfort the brothers there and in other parts of the country affected by the typhoon. Isn't that wonderful! Jehovah is so loving as well as the Governing Body.

It was announced at our hall that some brothers and sisters did lose their lives in the disaster and i remember seeing one Kingdom Hall completely demolished. Arent there a couple of sisters on the forums who live there?

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

I recall seeing a couple of Filipino brothers and/or sisters posting on these forums, but I don't know what area of the Philippines they live in. The Philippines covers a large area, and is composed of more than 7,000 islands. The typhoon swept through the central part of the Philippines, from east to west, devastating Tacloban, Cebu, and other cities. Therefore, cities in the north, such as Laoag, Santiago, Tarlac, all north of Manila, were untouched. Similarly, cities like Davao and General Santos in the south were not affected. I  don't remember seeing any posts in the recent past from anyone in the Philippines.

Edited by Eric_Milton

We are leaving for Cebu soon I will see if I can find out more as well . I know power has been an issue some ares hit hard have not had power restored . Cebu is having rolling black outs usually in the evening . They have been having their meetings using flashlights And lights from cell phones to read . ( this information came from my daughter-in-law) in Cebu .