JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Just did a term paper in OCD. Very interesting disorder. OCD suffers can drive the people around them crazy---for me it is more like a short put.

Anyway, several authorities state almost everyone has one thing they may do repetitive or compulsive and not be aware of it. I thought that was what OVD was a repetitive act or thought that was done compulsively --no control over.

I started thinking about that and came to the realization that I shake the salt shaker three times. Can not do 2 or 4 shakes. It just does not feel right. If I force myself to stop at two --I eventually go back and give it that extra shake!

Crazy huh? Since most people usually have one repetitive motion what would be yours?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Crazy huh? Since most people usually have one repetitive motion what would be yours?

It used to be a hand signal that cropped up every time I drove my car, and people cut me off in traffic.  Thankfully I've managed to retrain myself now it's more of a 10 fingered expression of exasperation that looks like WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Instead of telling them they're number one.....

It used to be a hand signal that cropped up every time I drove my car, and people cut me off in traffic.  Thankfully I've managed to retrain myself now it's more of a 10 fingered expression of exasperation that looks like WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Instead of telling them they're number one.....

Hey Sharon!  You and my husband!  I feel like slinking down to the floorboard with that happens...I tell him to please not do it if i am in the truck with him--but it just goes in one ear and out the other...

LeslieDean

Hey Sharon!  You and my husband!  I feel like slinking down to the floorboard with that happens...I tell him to please not do it if i am in the truck with him--but it just goes in one ear and out the other...

My wake up call came when I was cut off, flipped off the driver with my 3 children and 2 sisters in the car.  ALL of us in the car drove by giving the guy the bird.  I realized at that point I should probably set a better role model for my children....seeings how we had essentially given the guy the family finger.  (Which is now what this action is referred to, much to my chagrin).

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

I will go ahead and reveal this since you said what you did.  I had not been in the Truth too long  (or maybe the Truth had not been in me too long!) but anyway we were in LA and traveled to Frenso, CA to see Big and Rich and Gretchen Wilson and Cowboy Troy in concert.  This was when their song "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy" was a hugh hit.  Gretchen Wilson songs were "Redneck Woman" and ":I'm Here for the Party".  Anyway, we took both our boys and one of their girlfriends Vickie went with Jason.  We were all happy about seeing them play.  We went in and got our seats and the arrangement was Rick, me, Travis, Vickie, then Jason.  There was a man on the left of Jason who kept getting up and squeezing over the top of us to leave to go what I thought was to the bathroom, concession stand whatever.  Anyway, Travis was setting down and had spread a wrapper containing a hotdog across his lap to put mustard and relish on his hotdog.  This man came tropping back across the top of all of his--actually stepping on everyones feet.  You would have to try and stand up to allow him enough room to get by.  Well, Travis was sick and tired of standing up for him every few minutes and when he got to me I was standing and he was standing and he yelled at Travis to get up where he could get by.  Travie was really wanting that hotdog and he looked up and yelled at the guy to step over him he was trying to eat.  That man wound up his fist and drew back all the way to the north fourty and slugged him in the jaw! I was beyond shocked!  I then reached my hand up under his hair (he had long hair down to his shoulders) and I wound my hand around his hair and started pulling it to keep him from hitting my son again.  My other son Jason, was standing on the other side of Travis and he reached for Vickie to try to protect her, Rick was still standing then he started  reaching around me trying to take aim at that man.  My hand was caught up in his hair and I could not release it (now I  have a broken little pinky finger all the years later it still hurts when it gets cold) everyone in the rows in front of us and behind us were screaing and shouting for Rick to deck him.  Everyone was mad because he kept rudely interupting by getting out of his seat and leaving (later found out he was going to smoke weed) and it was like a riot mentality.  I lookied on the huge monitor screens and Gretchen Wilson was singing "I'm here for the party, and I ain't leavin' till they trown me out".  Famous last words.  Next thing I know there are police all around us and leading us out of the concert.  Travis had a huge balck eye by that time that was swollen shut,  a bloody nose,  and his jaw was all swollen to.  Travis asked if he could get his picture taken with one of the officers.  They were getting both sides of the story.  But all the people around us told the police that it was the other mans falut and he threw the first punch.  So we were able to go back to our seats and the crowd started to cheer when we were climbing up to the seats.  The other man was removed from the concert.  

I just got swept up in the moment.  I told it would never have happened if he had not hit my son.  But instant rage and protection came over me like a bat out of hell.  Later, after the concert, I asked Vickie if she was okay and if she had a good time.  She said "I have never seen a fight where the whole family was involved".  I was so embarassed.  I then asked her "Well, Mrs Lincoln, other than that how was the theater?"  

Sometime later, Rick still had not warmed to the idea of me being a witness.  We had two elders and their wives over for dinner.  Rick releated that story (because he wanted to embarass me and hurt me in front of my friends).  I remember Brother Thomas saying ""Was alcohol involved?"  I said no.  Then he chuckled and said "Oh, that's too bad.  It would almost be better if it had."  Then the other brother tried to make me feel better by saying that as a mother that stranger messed with my child and that was an immediate instinct to protect my young.  They reasoned with me further by saying that even though there may have been nothing wrong with the concert, that when you make a decision to go, you are putting yourself in a position of being involved with the actions of strangers.  It really made me think about my decisions for entertainment.  He was right.  I will always remember that night.  I remeber it everytime it gets cold and my pinky finger throbs.  In fact, it is kind like Jacobs thigh/hip.  I was not wrestleing for a blessing.  But when the pain returns it makes me think of that night. The tip of my finger is actually pointed up from the first joint.  It looks like I am a proper lady sipping tea!  LOL

LeslieDean

Only once! I embarrassed myself so bad. I couldn't believe I did it. My father would have cut my finger off if he had seen it and I was married. My face turned red and I had to get up beside that car to turn. Never again.  :o

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.