JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Gale force winds and floods battering UK

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3705 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The one you mention we had on the East Coast Thursday into Friday morning.  Some places (like me) got 2 feet of snow, others got the same or more, and ice.  Many here with no power (electric) up and down the coast line.  This storm went out to sea, and its the one that we just had headed your way! We got one yesterday, but thank you Jehovah, that it didn't do much of anything.  But I saw the news for the same new storm that is pounding Boston, Mass.  And moving towards Canada.   There is another storm coming off the Lakes (off of Illinois and New York) that will hit us Monday night into Tuesday, but the weather fore casters say this one is about a dusting or 1 inch.  This one should not be coming your way any time soon.   The jet stream will move way north by Wednesday here in my neck of the woods.  We will soon get a "heat wave" coming up from the south.  High 50's, which will melt most of the snow, but then there's the flooding process that comes with all of that too!   People can't live on high ground any more, cause the hills are giving way to sink holes, the ground is to saturated to hold up.  That's why a lot of trees uprooted and falling down on people's cars, homes, and businesses, and too, the wind.  I love the wind, but only if I am on a sailboat or flying a kite.     So, all you guys and gals out there in Ireland, England and other European parts, you are all in our prayers and thoughts.  We don't want to lose any of you. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know how it is going my Brothers and sisters in England and Ireland. It is not much in the news over here in Denmark about that anymore. We have had very little winter or bad weather so far. OK we had a few storms but nothing like what you had. I would like to know a little more. You have been in my prayers. This Winter have been unusual light over here, almost only three  weeks  of frost and down to -10C and of cource some wind.

People here in areas of Somerset will be underwater for a few more months more as the water table is so high now it can't drain away. We had a letter from Bethel to say all brothers, their homes and Kingdom Halls accounted for even though some have to wade to them!

News reports now are recording the aftermath. Thousands of acres of fertile farmland ruined as the soil has lost all it's structure and 'poached' =gone to solid mud with no oxygen. Sinkholes are appearing all over the place as acid water gets underground and dissolves underground lime, gypsum and other porous alkali rocks. Toll on wildlife, insect life and microbic life in the soil hasn't been taken, but reports from wildlife charities are grim.  

The government had been doing an inhumane controversial cull of badgers as a method of stopping the spread of Tuberculosis to cattle in some Southern Counties. It was a failure and inhumane because the shooting was not accurate at night and many badgers took ages to die.However, the floods will have destroyed populations of every wild mammal, let alone badgers, in some rural areas.There are poisoned the watercourses with water from sewage,old mine-workings and chemical lagoons that have been inundated, so many more livestock, wild animals,fish and birds will continue dying as they try to drink or eat from contaminated areas.

In our area we have lost big chunks of our coastline, harbour walls and sea defenses and there is no government money to repair them, so the fear is for what damage the next winter will bring. We are also watching for sink-holes because our town is riddled with 800 years of much unmapped mine-works. Also many inhabitants of our town in the past  tunnelled between their cellars all the way to the port, so they could smuggle goods from ships at the harbour away from where the customs men could catch them through each other's cellars and not all illegal tunnels are mapped and the town centre was flooded many times this winter. The railway line is still shut due to landslips under the lines.

However, while our storms abate, I hear that wild fires are starting in Australia, so our news has been showing this now - wish we could send them some of our excess water to help!