JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Gale force winds and floods battering UK

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3705 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Wow, I'm so sorry for your trials. I will be saying prayers for your safety in this severe weather. Know that we love all of you and want you to stay safe.

When I see the waves shooting up in the sky above the lighthouse, I think of the powerful force and how that with the breath of his nostrils Jehovah held back the sea for the Israelites.

Wow Helen so many crazy weather events this winter on a world wide scale.  I don't know if you checked out JW.ORG but the latest video has been posted on the Floods that we experienced here in Canada last spring. They are still doing relief work and helping different ones get back into their homes. It has been a very long haul for many. In Calgary the brothers never expected to have anything of this magnitude happen. Flat prairies ....what could go wrong ? Many were complacent about having their Grab and Go emergency bags so this was a huge wake up call for many who had put it off. We have been watching with great interest to the reports about your weather here on the news. I find yours the very best report though  :) really gives us a sense of what your going through and makes you all seem so much closer to us in mind and heart .............and a powerful reminder to keep you all in our prayers.

Thanks again for taking the time to do all of that. I need lessons on how to post those little clips. :)

Edited by Miss Mouse

My wife and I were on that railway last year, going from London to Devon. It was a beautiful scenic route, built originally by Brunel. The sea wall has just collapsed under the onslaught of the waves.

The Somerset area looks like huge lakes now. Isn't our sister Samira from that area? I hope she is alright, I haven't seen any posts from her.

Helen, that was an enjoyable read even though the news was not good. The links were good too but your personal point of view, like it was said, made it feel more real for us not living there. Wendy was commenting on the crazy weather all over and I have to agree. I need to look up what happened in Canada next but I did look up weather in Western Europe, wow, crazy. Wonder if Satan could be influencing the weather patterns!

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/comment.html?entrynum=240 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

My wife and I were on that railway last year, going from London to Devon. It was a beautiful scenic route, built originally by Brunel. The sea wall has just collapsed under the onslaught of the waves.

The Somerset area looks like huge lakes now. Isn't our sister Samira from that area? I hope she is alright, I haven't seen any posts from her.

We are ok......no flooding here.......thanks for asking...

We just sold our house......downsizing from 5 bedroom detached house to  2 bedroom apartment....

so a lot of stress .....and not much time to comment......only reading...

We put our house on the market last summer with the plan to move into the congregation territory.

Ask Jehovah for help and advice. Never sold. Beginning of January 2014 we took the house off the market.

Then we decided to move near the Area where the new bethel will be build because our grandson,

who is living with us....his goal is the pioneer service or /and bethel service.

We prayed again to Jehovah for an answer, put our house back on the market

and sold in 2 weeks to a cash buyer, who want us out in 4 weeks!

In Jehovah you can trust!

Edited by Samira

Things continue to worsen in the UK with winds ovr 100mph and torrential rain hitting the already badly flooded areas. The problems are all over the country with trains suspended, cancelled, people's homes flooded and the rivers continuing to rise. From the West of England and Wales right to the Thames there are severe flood alerts and no letup in sight.

More storms forecast for Friday (tomorrow) and over 100,000 homes without power. Today many have no fresh water supply either!

We have been invited to a diamond wedding anniversary party next week, but the venue is in a village affected by the floods so the party may be in doubt. Towns just a few miles from me are now flooded. January had the highest rainfall since 1776!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26166796

Wonder if Satan could be influencing the weather patterns!

He doesn't have that power anymore. However he can influence men to cut down forests, burn excessive amounts of everything, pave over large areas of land,

drain lands such as too many swamps, etcetera - which in turn can affect the weather :taz:

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Brothers,,

Please stay safe and use extreme caution with this weather phenomenon taking place.    Watch out for each other (we know you will) and keep us posted .    Prayers are going up in your behalf for all you brothers who are in the line of this excessive weather pattern. Living in Oklahoma we know severe weather patterns.   We have tornadoes and now earthquakes on a regular basis.   

If I could I would love to provide these things to you and also our friends on the east coast. In my heart and mind :)Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Stay safe and May Jehovah be with you all <3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

He doesn't have that power anymore. However he can influence men to cut down forests, burn excessive amounts of everything, pave over large areas of land,

drain lands such as too many swamps, etcetera - which in turn can affect the weather :taz:

Ok, I'll agree with that. We can also add cloud seeding to the mix. The government wanted to change weather patterns, maybe they succeeded? I heard on the news this morning, on the radio, that the N. Pole (?) is melting more, weather that was typical in each region is now dramatically changed. I have to look up that meteorologist and see what exactly he was referring to. He said it's possible our climate changes are so dramatic that maybe it cannot be changed back. (Opinion of course) But I'd like to see the science behind his hypothesis.  When I have more time I'll see if I can find that info. He really was interesting to listen to. It didn't sound far fetched.  

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Browse the internet for what the hurricane force winds have done to west cork anf kerry in Ireland. ...still without power here...largest wave of 85ft...winds in excess off 110 miles per hour...just complete devastation. When it left Irish shores it went on to visit the UK

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Well it recorded 98 mph at St Bees headland (nearest point to Ireland just south of our town) and 112mph on our hills behind the town. Garage rooves come down crushing cars beneath and outer skins of bricks of house gable-ends blew down and chimney stacks down. Trees either crushing vehicles or causing accidents as people drive round corners and are faced with a big tree in front of them and no time to brake.

This time it's our neighbour whose TV aerial is banging round his chimney all night - it was ours in December. We are leaving the broken fence lying across the garden - no point trying to fix anything as there are 2 more storms due to hit in the next couple of days.At least we didn't lose power though half a million along the West coast UK did for a few hours. Our clean water stopped for a day and night when a crushed pipe in town burst. Now  there are still 26 000 without power, but our fresh water supply is back on. There was loads of rainwater collected in tubs in the garden, so we used it in the toilet. We had a few litres emergency supply of fresh bottled drinking water - good job, because the local supermarket was completely sold out in an hour.

Sad for Somerset and Thames-side houses/farms/businesses. They reckon they will be underwater for months even if the rain stops now as the water table is so high.Large canal pumps have been sent over from Holland to help pump some areas. No clean water or power and the dirty water in people's homes gardens, fields and businesses has sewerage in it - fears of cholera, typhoid, bacterial stomach bug - type illnesses breaking out.100 000's of chickens died, flocks of sheep and cattle gone to slaughter or lost, crops lost, seeded land for fodder lost for next year's feed and field soil structure and much wildlife lost.Army out checking for stranded people and supplying sandbags where the water hasn't broached yet.Some flooded homes and vehicles have been looted and stripped after people have been evacuated. Politicians are out in their waterproof clothes in these areas pressing hands and promising all kinds of help, but getting flack for building on flood plains or not dredging rivers etc.

On top of this parcel bombs have been arriving at Post Office sorting offices and army recruitment offices in these areas, sent by dissidents from the Irish Peace process: 

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/uk_national_news/11009100.Parcel_bombs_found_at_Army_offices/?ref=nt

How anyone can say this is just as normal, when even skeptics on TV are admitting something strange has happened to weather that is worse than ever recorded or flooding like we haven't had since America declared Independence.

Edited by retroHelen

Oh my dear, it is as bad as you say. I've been looking at news broadcasts of your area and I have to say it's catastrophic. This is terrible. I admit this is extreme weather at it's worst. here's one I'm watching now.

I feel for all of you in this area. 

From what I can see on the news absolutely nothing is being reported on the devastation here in Ireland :( we have lost power again..the earliest we can expect it to return is Tuesday. Ireland takes the brunt of the weather as it makes landfall. Stay safe out there everyone.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

I'm feeling your frustration. We here on the Pacific Coast, particularly in Oregon/Washington we can have horrendous weather but as far as National News goes we seldom merit more than a cursory mention. BUT if it happens in NY- well heaven forbid and the sky is falling! That's all the news can talk about, for days. Nothing more important than what's happening in the area where the news originates from, other places aren't as important. I've been waiting for someone to talk about your plight, even BBC, but I'm not hearing much at all. 

Let me go look for some info on Ireland.  

From what I can see on the news absolutely nothing is being reported on the devastation here in Ireland :( we have lost power again..the earliest we can expect it to return is Tuesday. Ireland takes the brunt of the weather as it makes landfall. Stay safe out there everyone.Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Hi Annie actually I saw quite an extensive report on our national news about your storm , I instantly thought of you and our other friends in in Ireland , it showed the winds and beautiful pathways turned into rivers of water! But were in Canada aye !!!! :)

How much is this going to cost the tax payers in Great Britan?  Its a no fixer upper!  The walls of every home, building and castle has been wet and the foundations made weaker.  Am not talking billions, perhaps trillions, zillions of pounds!   Someone is going to have to raid the churches soon. 

This would be quite the opposite in UK at present because of the "Chancel Repair Liability" Laws. These are 500 year old laws whereby if one of the 5,200 parish churches in England needs repairs or restoration, then any of the houses built around the church/within it's parish boundaries are liable for cost of repairs. Some flooded places in UK may fall into this category. It makes no difference what religion the inhabitants are, if the Parish Church suddenly decides after hundreds of years to act on this law, they legally can and have done lately when they couldn't raise the cash among the attending parishioners to do repairs.

Therefore, if you like the idea of living in a lovely old English village in a historic cottage, maybe with a thatched roof and cob or stone walls, then 'buyer beware' check the deeds carefully because amongst the historic paperwork could likely be this law for the local church and some poor folk who never attended church, and didn't have much income, have been stung for £100 000 church repair bill and no way of getting out of it. It has caused outcry, but whenever it goes to High Court the Church always wins because it was always a clause in the deeds, even if it hadn't been enacted on in centuries : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chancel_repair_liability

London and New York storms are now COMBINING: Meteorologists say two storms are 'holding hands' across the Atlantic

(The DailyMail U.K.)

Incredible satellite imagery shows the monster storms swirling 'arm-in-arm' across the Atlantic. The Stateside storm brought with it heavy snow, sleet and ice while Friday's storm caused heavy rain and winds up to 80 mph in Britain's southern counties.

(When you see the weather map, it shows the storm (we just had 2 feet of snow here) going out to sea towards Ireland and Great Britain, as if its holding hands on the other side.   Anglo/American can't seem to let go of each other!)

Edited by allabord4jah