JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Read any good books?

Some months ago I read Orwell's "1984". Although I found it very gloomy from the beginning, I continued reading because I was curious about the end of the story. However, its end was somehow disappointing for me - although I can't say what exactly I had expected.

I just got a copy of a Czech translation of 1984. Can't say I understand a great deal yet, but it is something to aspire to!

I also got Frankenstein by Mary Shelleyová among other books.

I just got a copy of a Czech translation of 1984. Can't say I understand a great deal yet, but it is something to aspire to!

I also got Frankenstein by Mary Shelleyová among other books.

(It might be a silly question but) do you understand Czech?

I´m asking because regarding this special book, it is necessary to understand the language it´s written in.

Otherwise you won´t get far... :nope:

Chrissy :wave:

(It might be a silly question but) do you understand Czech?

I´m asking because regarding this special book, it is necessary to understand the language it´s written in.

Otherwise you won´t get far... :nope:

I read it in English some years ago, but I have been trying to learn czech for many years, so I do understand some of it. It came with a 'pack' of books, articles and other aids for language learning - particularly for reading - in czech language.

I have a few books including one by Enid Blytonová, one of her 'famous five' books and some Kafka.

I read it in English some years ago, but I have been trying to learn czech for many years, so I do understand some of it. It came with a 'pack' of books, articles and other aids for language learning - particularly for reading - in czech language.

I have a few books including one by Enid Blytonová, one of her 'famous five' books and some Kafka.

Wow, this is a difficult book for learning a language!

I would rather start with an easier one...

Chrissy :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

I like a few of John Steinbeck's novels: didn't finish Grapes of Wrath (just couldn't do it!) but I enjoyed East of Eden and Of Mice and Men, both required reading in high school.

Between Shades of Gray (NOT same as other book similarly named) by Ruta Seputys is a novel about a girl living in Lithuania, who is taken by Soviet officers to Siberia along with her mother and brother. Made me think of what our brothers and sister must have gone through when they were exiled to Siberia. Sad book, but good.

• 2 weeks later...