JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Your favorite cheese may be in danger .....

This is ????? not sure if interesting/confusing/ridiculous/odd or just what word best describes this story ... but, depending on what they decide you may have to call your favorite cheese by a different name

Europe makes a stink about American cheese names

As part of trade talks, the EU wants to limit the use of names like Parmesan, feta and Gorgonzola on cheese made in the United States. The argument is that the American-made cheeses are shadows of the original European varieties and cut into sales and identity of the European cheeses....

Though it has not laid out a public proposal, the EU is expected to make similar attempts to restrict marketing of U.S.-made cheeses, possibly including Parmesan, Asiago, Gorgonzola, feta, fontina, grana, Muenster, Neufchatel and Romano.

And it may not be just cheese. Other products with traditional ties to European countries that could be affected include bologna, Black Forest ham, Greek yogurt, Valencia oranges and prosciutto, among other foods....

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Having eaten lots of European Cheese I have to agree .......what North America ( Canada as well) sells as Cheese is so processed and full of color additives it gives " real cheese" a bad name!

You can buy some nice specialty cheeses if you search for it here but you pay and arm and a leg ........ Ask the French they eat real cheese with a little wine and you don't see the obesity that you see in N America.......

Now you got me on my Soap Box John .....way to go !!! :) :)

I would do anything for Muenster Cheese! My Mom loves Havarti...yucks!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

I worked for some very rich German people every summer for a while and every year they would bring Raclette with them.  Its a very stinky cheese you heat up on a special grill and put it over potatoes that are slow boiled whole so they are very moist.  It stunk so bad I couldn't believe anyone would eat it.  But I tasted it and it was sooooooo delicious.  Reminds me of perogies. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and were in town yesterday (meaning we went into the centre of London) and had a little stroll in Borough Market near London Bridge. A shame it was late afternoon and many stalls were closed, but the Jumi Cheese stall was open and we sampled a couple of cheeses. We ended up buying Belper Knolle cheese from Switzerland.

When we came home I found this video on youtube and the same girl who served us explains about the cheese.

It is very tasty. My wife also bought me a soft cheese with truffle in the middle of it! It is soooo good!

I love that you can go to markets like that.  I love that our brothers and sisters are from all over the world and can share their different cultures with us.  This is a good

thread.  Do we have one for food and recipes from around the world anywhere on here on JW Talk?

Loved the video Bohemian!!

Brother Christopher,

Now you are making me hungry. It must have been a special treat to have bought cheese from this

girl and then found her video on You-Tube. I love all kinds of cheese. Like many, I think several kinds of

cheese, some fruit and a nice wine make a great meal. The Europeans really know what they are talking

about when it come to cheese. No wonder they are possessive and angry at American ways.

GStorrs46

I think the English can take their food too seriously at times. There was a recent debate (even on the news here in UK) about whether the cheese course should be served before or after dessert!

When our children were in their teens, we had a weekly cheese evening where we would buy different cheeses to try, along with favourites too so that if we didn't like one or two there would be something we did like. A few biscuits or crackers to go with it.

I have to be more circumspect with dairy products now because of a cholesterol problem, but I do enjoy an occasional foray into a cheese shop.

Did someone say Cheese shop?

Edited by bohemian

Watched it-fun-that took me to a video on Hugh Laurie (changing subject of cheese completely) who I've wondered if my family is related to.  There is a resemblance between him and the men in our family.  My grandmother was Wilda Laurie and I hear the song about bonny Annie Laurie is about a relative of ours too.  No way of knowing.  Was that cheesy of me to change the subject?  Sorry

• 2 weeks later...