JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sites like Netflix?

I sure hope this hasn't been asked before.

Does anyone use sites like Netflix to watch programs/movies/series? Netflix can get a bit stale and I'd like to have a reference to another one or two to watch from, without a bunch of garbage associated with the site.

Tanks!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

We have Amazon Prime.  You not only get access to streaming video, but free 2 day shipping on Prime eligible items.  We'd buy Prime anyway just for the shipping alone, as we order a lot from Amazon for personal and business needs, but the added streaming video content is a plus.  Not sure how it differs from Netflix in the shows available though.  Hulu plus may be another option.  And don't forget that you can go to sites from the network and sometimes watch streaming shows there as well.  We don't watch much tv, but when we do we like it to be on our schedule as much as possible, so we watch things online when possible.

I use Netflix from time to time and my wife uses Hulu - I think she has the plus account.

I agree that Netfix could be better, like it used to be.

I can't really speak for Hulu but my wife seems to like it.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I was just there looking around. It seems the most used site and generally safe. I'm needing another option for my viewing because television is unspeakably sick. I had enough when I saw married people stuff in the middle of the day on a channel where children would have access, easy access. The shows I used to love have become full of magic/demonism/ violence/sex. The writers this last year have really ramped it up to where I have deleted almost everything I was watching. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

We use Netfix almost daily.  We also use Hulu Plus.  Unlike Netflix, Hulu (and HuluPlus) have current television shows.

In addition, we have access to Crackle TV.  It's similar to Hulu and it's entirely free.  Amazon also offers a streaming service.  If you have a Roku device, you have access to even more streaming/on demand content.  

Each of the networks have websites that stream their individual content.  CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, Syfy, A&E, etc...  

We recently purchased a Chromecast device.  If you have a TV with a USB port, you plug the Chromecast device into the USB slot.  Using your Chrome web browser, you can stream what is on your web straight to your TV.  

Websites such as Justin.tv and Veetle.com stream continuous news, sports and entertainment.  There are other websites out there as well that broadcast live sporting events.  NBCSports.com offers live streaming of their content, provided you have a cable account with one of their corporate affiliates (we use my Father-In-Law's account).

The big sports franchises like football, baseball, and hockey offer their own services to stream and watch entire games.

We cut the cable in 2009.  Our TV antenna is not mounted.  By utilizing all these services (and more), we keep up on everything that is on TV, just a day later than broadcast.  

Edited by Shawnster

You say you "cut the cable", but you get internet service somehow - correct?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

There are options from local libraries too,  check to see if they do. Our library offers Hoopla and Free gal. Another good option is a Roku device.

Don't devices like Roku still require internet access?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

But there is still a monthly fee and still a "cable" for the internet access (with its monthly fee), correct?

It is just that the options are different?

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Cutting cable is more about cutting the cable TV service than it is cutting actual literal cables. Services like these preclude the need for much more expensive monthly cable TV services for some. There are many things (like watchespn) that require you to log in with your cable TV provider information that are bummers. I'd gladly pay a little bit to access ESPN programming online, but cable TV providers have them locked down so that they can't do so. An ala carte system for channels has to be inevitable in the future.

Thanks Mike for the clarification. The other day my wife came home and said her work mate "cut the cable" and got rid of it and now just has a ROKU. She was so excited to completely grid rid of our cable bill and NOT pay any more at all and still watch all the shows she wanted by just buying this thing that plugs into the TV.

I did everything I could to explain to her that this doesn't mean she no longer has an internet "cable" bill (as it turned out the person still used COX for her internet so was stilling paying for that).

I pay $85 a month and most of that is for cable internet. I think $60. The other $25 is for basic cable. In shopping around I see I could "cut the cable" by that $25, but would still need the internet access and then just pay that $25 a month to someone else like ROKU or CHROME or whoever. 

I just wanted clarity this for when ones say they "cut the cable". They may still be paying the same or in some instances MORE, but then they get the options they want without the options they don't.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

I sure hope this hasn't been asked before.

Does anyone use sites like Netflix to watch programs/movies/series? Netflix can get a bit stale and I'd like to have a reference to another one or two to watch from, without a bunch of garbage associated with the site.

Tanks!

I noticed you are from the States - consider yourself fortunate.  The Netflix we get up here in Canada is as entertaining as watching paint dry.  Its brutal!  Thankfully there are ways to adjust the settings so it picks up the USA stream, otherwise I wouldn't have it.

still use a roof mounted 30 year old antenna to pull in @ a dozen or so local, more when I spin the rotor and when I get bored I flip on Apple TV for the Free stuff only + Air Play from iOs device - heard they have a major update/upgrade coming this Summer ... much of TV isn't any good anymore anyway, and you have to be close to the remote at all times for bad scenes and improper commercials. ... reminds me about the TMS review question #1 this week (June KM page 7)

Edited by timpin

Tell me about. I keep seeing these previews for a TV show called Salem -  :omg:   :nope:

If this system gets too much worse - the people in Sodom will have a legitimate complaint on being destroyed too soon!!! - Just saying - may the Kingdom come soon!!!!!!!!!!

Soon .....

Man oh man you folks are speaking my language about being fed up with it all. And the one brother who said you have to watch carefully because junk is spread throughout a good show and the commercials can be really rotten. If it were up to me I'd get rid of the 100.00 DISH bill and be content with the other options available. 

Here's what I have.  I have DSL, a phone number with no phone, and it's only 54 a month for medium speed. I have Netflix which I use Google Chrome with in my room with a laptop. In the other rooms my husband has access to DISH. I do too but the weekly selection is slim and I like so many BBC/PBS programming I go to Netflix and use chrome device. Now, where I'm at is that Netflix is also FULLLL of really bad films- found THIS little jewel out today when I was trying to find something to add to my list. But there is still some goodies- old ones like Mr. Chang, The Thin Man, and other oldies. Plus all the Matlock, McMillan and wife and Murder She Wrote shows that were fun. I also save some of the Startrek movies I'd like to see again. 

I don't have access to antenna, no reception here. I just signed up for Amazon Prime because I find I order more from them than I thought so free shipping makes it pay for itself. And the suggestion about streaming movies from Prime is good. I chatted with them and they said the Chrome device works with their system. I Chose Chrome over Roku because of device advancements. So I'll have to look and see if Crackle tv will support the Chrome. Nice to have another option. 

Thanks folks for participating and sharing what you do. There's a lot of options out there but so many of them come with a "price" and not always money. So much I don't know.

Oh Jerry, what about the one from the 70"s, Rosemary's Baby! REALLY!!  :boxing: Some things are better off left in the past.

Edited by bagwell1987