JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How close is your home to a nuclear power plant?

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/nuclear_power_plants_locations/index.html

If a crisis at a nuclear reactor happened in the U.S., could you be living in a danger zone? In a 10-mile radius, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission says the air could be unsafe to breathe in the event of a major catastrophe. In 50 miles, food and water supplies may be unsafe. i live 27 miles from diablo canyon nuclear power plant in california, right smack dab on the san andreas fault. good thing that i have put my trust in Jehovah and he is my refuge!

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/nuclear_power_plants_locations/index.html

If a crisis at a nuclear reactor happened in the U.S., could you be living in a danger zone? In a 10-mile radius, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission says the air could be unsafe to breathe in the event of a major catastrophe. In 50 miles, food and water supplies may be unsafe. i live 27 miles from diablo canyon nuclear power plant in california, right smack dab on the san andreas fault. good thing that i have put my trust in Jehovah and he is my refuge!

Yes it is a good thing, no matter where we live! In my city, there is debate going on now w/City Council and County Commissioners who want to allow for re-zoning for this very purpose. We'll see what the future brings, but I am not worried-my refuge is Jehovah and Jehovah is in FULL control!

Barbi

About 50 bargaining employees were laid off from the power company here in FL last September. They offered us a temporary position at one of the nuclear power plants here in FL for "outages" (times where they perform maintenence and refuel the reactors) until we get recalled back to our old positions. So I've been at the St. Lucie plant since last year working the night shift. Of course everyone here is biased towards nuclear power, and there were plans to build more reactors in the near future, but I'm sure that's all off the table now. It was pretty surreal though to see what was unfolding at the Japanese plants when I've just chanced into working at one temporarily.

Matt. 24:21 "for then there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again.  In fact, unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short."

we know conditions are going to get pretty bad.......we need to draw close to Jehovah and become spiritually strong and determined. nuclear power plants leaking, national uprisings, earthquakes, tsunamis, whatever it will be, we will remain focused and rely on Jehovah.

so, when we say amen to that, how are we doing with dealing with family crisis, unemployment, illness, apathy in our ministry, etc? these things are another form of 'natural disasters' that can cause us to weaken or strengthen our determination. just a thought. we say we will die for Jehovah and our faith and our brothers, but are we hospitable and generous? are we demonstrating our love and concern for our brothers?

I don't even know where the nuclear plants are here in Ohio so I couldn't answer. LOL!!!

Now my ex sis in law used to work at one outside of Tri-Cities, WA. A lot of witnesses work there since it pays pretty good.

Hi Micah,

Your closer to the nuclear power plant than I am,your 50.43 miles from

the plant in North Perry,OH.According to mapquest.

Nancy

I don't even know where the nuclear plants are here in Ohio so I couldn't answer. LOL!!!

Now my ex sis in law used to work at one outside of Tri-Cities, WA. A lot of witnesses work there since it pays pretty good.

We also live about 35 miles from Diablo Nuclear Power Plant and the fallout area is still another 5 miles of south of us. What is so sad is that there are some beautiful homes, a resort and Avila Beach, a popular tourist beach right next door. If only people knew when they come to vacation because it is not openly advertised that this plant is right next door. They did get small amounts of radiation readings from the Japan, but they said No Worries! Hm!

There aren't any Nuclear Plants in Nevada, but they have been working on putting a nuclear waste repository - just 100 miles from Las Vegas. This has scared a lot of people in Southern Nevada. They have been fighting to have it stopped. In the new world Jehovah will show us how to harness clean power. And I have a feeling we will need a lot less electricity then. :whistling:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

We also live about 35 miles from Diablo Nuclear Power Plant and the fallout area is still another 5 miles of south of us. What is so sad is that there are some beautiful homes, a resort and Avila Beach, a popular tourist beach right next door. If only people knew when they come to vacation because it is not openly advertised that this plant is right next door. They did get small amounts of radiation readings from the Japan, but they said No Worries! Hm!

irene!!! it's dianne!!! LOL! how awesome to see you here!

• 1 month later...

We live 15 miles north of Sellafield Nuclear Site, previously known as Windscale - one of the oldest in the world. It is the biggest employer around here.It no longer has any working nuclear reactors, but we still have storage areas with radio-active rods in water and radio-active liquid called HALES in water-cooled tanks. The fire of October 10th 1957 was Britain's worst nuclear accident.

One of the military reactors producing plutonium caught fire and spewed radioactive material into the atmosphere. It was classed as a Nuclear Event Level 5, the same as the Three Mile Island disaster in USA. Local milk was poured away and produce was destroyed. The government report at the time claimed that most nuclear fallout had blown out to sea (that's why coastline was favoured for siting it), but everyone here knows that wind blows off the sea inland.

The roads are narrow country roads to the site and it has always been a worry how they would evacuate 12,000 workers in the case of a disaster. They didn't evacuate everyone in 1957, just told many to stay indoors! My aunt lived 50 miles down the coast at Barrow in 1957 and was invited to a school reunion. Most in her class were from Seascale by Sellafield and were missing from classes that day, as they stayed indoors at home. There were only a few 'girls' from Barrow at the reunion. She told me that all the girls, bar one(who was away on holiday at the time) from Seascale had died of throat/thyroid cancer in the years since.

Many wonder what the real legacy of the fire was! We still have farms here in Cumbria unable to sell sheep for meat because of Chenobyl disaster - classed as a Nuclear Event Scale 7. Fukishima, Japan was initially rated as Level 6, though I haven't heard if this has been lowered or increased since. There is a big Nuclear Police presence around the Sellafield site that arrested 5 Muslims filming around the site after Bin Laden's execution and there were military aircraft sent over it that day, as they also did on 9/11.

The government says it needs to build 8 new modern reactors on the site to get away from reliance on fossil fuels for power, but in this recession most people wonder if it will happen as the decommisioning of the old reactors has slowed for lack of funds.

Edited to make it easier to read.

• 6 months later...

A few years ago they had to destroy lot's of pidgeons and seagulls flying around the Nuclear Plant near us as they registered high radiation. People living within a certain radius were discouraged from feeding them.Workers regularly go on the N-plant roof to destroy nests and eggs. Most of the old plant has not been on for a few years now either and is being decommisioned. The MOX plant section is only on a few times since it was built. Sad fact is that the countries that were sending stuff for reprocessing have finished their plants or in the case of Japan, business has diminished since the earthquake. However, because there has already been Nuclear Plants here since 1956, they are considering building 8 more modern smaller ones on the old site. They are asking the public around here to also consider an underground repository for the waste generated.

They asked this under the name NIREX 20 years ago and the plan was shelved because Geologists and borehole surveyors gave in reports that fault-lines underground caused too much groundwater (in our wet Lake District) leaking for miles and could cause too many problems when keeping contained the nuclear waste.However, the local newspaper reports the government now says that "Some argue that there is enough evidence to show that West Cumbria is geologically unsuitable ... our view is that this argument is not generally accepted within the professional geological community."They give no quotes from so-called professionals and retired geologists and borehole surveyors who were part of NIREX are constantly writing their arguments against it in the newspaper's letter column.

Yet the Government is determined to build new Nuclear plants here and a repository and get the companies they recommend for this to appeal to the Local Government Councils with articles like offering an economically depressed area like ours 'sweetners' in the form of a "Community Benefits Package" to "transform the economic and social well-being of the area" and that building and maintaining the repository will also keep employment for 550 people for at least 140 years.

In the meantime we had a small report in our local newspaper from the Environment Agency Monitors at the village of Seascale by the Nuclear Plant, that their street drains are measuring high levels of radiation! Also a report on the National BBC Radio 4 said that the Government may want more Nuclear Plants in the UK, but we do not have the expertise and are asking other countries for help, which other countries are reluctant to do as they need their own expertise in their own country and UK needs, also for security reasons, to generate it's own. Hardly encouraging! Roll on the New World, we don't feel secure in this one!

Grumpy worked for 15 yrs. at a power plant, when ever they needed to be shut down for repairs. So far, no problems. Sometimes he had to work on the HOT side and they had to wear special suits and get decontaminated every time they came out. He worked as a carpenter.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.