JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How close is your home to a nuclear power plant?

A few years ago they had to destroy lot's of pidgeons and seagulls flying around the Nuclear Plant near us as they registered high radiation.

I wonder if it was from the radioactive bird droppings that they coined the phrase "dirty bomb"?

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Grumpy said that they have cages to catch the birds that lurk around the power plants. He wasn't sure what they did with them. He also told me that the guards actually shoot them with pellet guns. Maybe you've got a point there, Tilford.

66263=3665-4.gif

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Lynn--I want to meet you in the new system!

You would be disappointed. My wife says I don't have a serious bone in my body. I think she has hit every single one trying to find a serious one.

Next time just dial 911 Tilford, Husband abuse is a serious offense...:eek:

We've just had news that a Global nuclear company is interested in building the World's First Fast Reactor PRISM here at Sellafield/Calder Hall/Windscales. The company has American technology despite it's Japanese name = GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy. They are offering to use this fast reactor to dispose of a massive stockpile of plutonium - 87 tonnes the largest civilian stockpile of plutonium in the world - which is at at Sellafield and produce electricity as a by-product.

In the meantime, the 5 road/pavement drains in the village of Seascale are still measuring radioactivity, but authorities are still 'monitoring the situation' and saying that the actual cause is unknown, however Professor Haywood said"..unusual weather conditions in 2010 released radioactivity in the drainage path.Sellafield radioactivity made only a small contribution to annual radiation doses received by individual members of the public depending on their activities and dietary habits.The risk to the environment and people remained low. Highest doses were reported among local consumers of seafood. From time to time re-mobilisation of old sediments contributes to increased estimates of radiation dose.." (Whitehaven News December 1st 2011)

Sorry, I am not reassured by all this and the knowledge we are living near the biggest stockpile of plutonium isn't good to know either! No wonder they arrested 5 Muslim types photographing around the Plant earlier this year!

The alternate has not been working too well around here in the last 3 days. At low levels we have been suffering 80 mph winds here and across to Yorkshire. 80-90 mph in Scotland and 165mph winds higher up the mountains and hills. Result:

68253=3786-windturbfall.jpg They shudder in the wind and break at the weld points going up the shaft of these enormous wind turbines. Also:

68253=3787-windturbfire.jpg Wind-turbines only work in steady flow of air, so they get turned off most of the time and run at less than 25% capacity because we in the UK get gusts of wind which are no good. Strong wind and gusts causes the turbine's brakes to fail and then to get out of control or spin on it's axis, (it can spin when turned off) which causes fires like this. That is aside from hacking up eagles, geese and seabirds in the blades. Their massive base gantries spread out in the seabeds to hold them up around our coast have finished beleaguered fishing vessels as nets and anchor chains get snarled - so does everything else floating there, which isn't helping the seabed life. What wasn't realised was how they create thick cold clouds in their wake stream early in the day - not good if you rely on your beaches for tourists:

68253=3788-windturbinewakecloudcover.jpg

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/nuclear_power_plants_locations/index.html

If a crisis at a nuclear reactor happened in the U.S., could you be living in a danger zone? In a 10-mile radius, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission says the air could be unsafe to breathe in the event of a major catastrophe. In 50 miles, food and water supplies may be unsafe. i live 27 miles from diablo canyon nuclear power plant in california, right smack dab on the san andreas fault. good thing that i have put my trust in Jehovah and he is my refuge!

wow.. I never checked that right now the closest is 124 miles away.. and even when we move we will be over 100 miles from the closest one.. so that's nice, but scary, because I know there are so many brothers and sisters right in the 'danger' zones.. :(

signature2.jpg

:

The alternate has not been working too well around here in the last 3 days. At low levels we have been suffering 80 mph winds here and across to Yorkshire. 80-90 mph in Scotland and 165mph winds higher up the mountains and hills. Result:

68253=3786-windturbfall.jpg They shudder in the wind and break at the weld points going up the shaft of these enormous wind turbines. Also:

68253=3787-windturbfire.jpg Wind-turbines only work in steady flow of air' date=' so they get turned off most of the time and run at less than 25% capacity because we in the UK get gusts of wind which are no good. Strong wind and gusts causes the turbine's brakes to fail and then to get out of control or spin on it's axis, (it can spin when turned off) which causes fires like this. That is aside from hacking up eagles, geese and seabirds in the blades. Their massive base gantries spread out in the seabeds to hold them up around our coast have finished beleaguered fishing vessels as nets and anchor chains get snarled - so does everything else floating there, which isn't helping the seabed life. What wasn't realised was how they create thick cold clouds in their wake stream early in the day - not good if you rely on your beaches for tourists:

68253=3788-windturbinewakecloudcover.jpg [/quote'] Thank you Helen for sharing the fascinating and dramatic pictures of the "dark side of wind turbines". I was always under the impression that wind turbines were the safest and most environmental source of clean energy. The nations have sure changed their tune on nuclear energy since the recent Japanese tragedy. :nuke:

If a crisis at a nuclear reactor happened in the U.S., could you be living in a danger zone? In a 10-mile radius, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission says the air could be unsafe to breathe in the event of a major catastrophe. In 50 miles, food and water supplies may be unsafe. i live 27 miles from diablo canyon nuclear power plant in california, right smack dab on the san andreas fault. good thing that i have put my trust in Jehovah and he is my refuge!

26.58 miles to CEI Perry Nuclear Power Plant.... we would be goners. :eek:

If a crisis at a nuclear reactor happened in the U.S., could you be living in a danger zone? In a 10-mile radius, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission says the air could be unsafe to breathe in the event of a major catastrophe. In 50 miles, food and water supplies may be unsafe. i live 27 miles from diablo canyon nuclear power plant in california, right smack dab on the san andreas fault. good thing that i have put my trust in Jehovah and he is my refuge![/quote

I live 25 Miles from Clinton Nuclear Power Plant! My ex-husband worked there during construction of the plant. :hammer:

That doesn't help my odds any! :eek:

218 Miles. The closest is the one right near Phoenix, AZ (Palo Verde).

Yucca Mountain would be 70 miles from the center of Las Vegas. No wonder so many hear don't want it to be the nations nuclear waste dump.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I live 5 miles away from Hinkley point which has 2 nuclear power stations. So i win:raspberry: err i mean lose:perplexed:. I can see them from our beach they look weirdly and intrusively dominent on the landscape as you look out to sea. If they blow up then were done for:scared:. Theres a local joke about not swimming in the sea as you may come out glowing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_Point_B_nuclear_power_station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_Point_A_nuclear_power_station

They are going to build a third one next to these two so 3 within 5 miles will be not the best but hey what can you do. I love the town i live in although some people are a bit strange:loopy: (nothing to do with the power plant though).

There are also 2 about 40 miles away up in Gloucester.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldbury_Nuclear_Power_Station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_nuclear_power_station