JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Indian cuisine

I was so excited to stumble onto this subject! Indian food is my families favorite cuisine. We have one good restaurant but have been learning to cook it. What I have learned is that it is generally very healthy with a large number of vegetarian dishes. You might want to invest in the spices used for the more common dishes and then branch out. Spicy does not necessarily mean hot. The key, I have found, is to"bloom" the spices, a technique used in Indian food. Everything is not'just a curry'. There is tremendous diversity to the food. My families personal favorites are chicken tandoori, marinated in yogurt and spices and baked until crispy, Beef Royal Korma, Butter Chicken, Chicken Korma, and the most delicious bread, Naan. I prefer Kabli Naan which has died fruit and nuts in it. The slight sweet with the spice is amazing! I am still learning and just by trying recipes, not being taught by anyone that knows. My next adventure will be Biriyani. (How did I do, dilip?)

I will try to find my recipes and post them, but I also would love to try others any might have. I can't wait to visit India some day!

Proverbs 16:3  "Commit to Jehovah whatever you do and your plans will succeed."

Is one am in India here. I was about to retire to bed. Your naming the dishes has made my mouth water ,my eyes , my stomach feel hungry. :D

It is almost 1 pm here. We must be on opposite sides of the globe.

Proverbs 16:3  "Commit to Jehovah whatever you do and your plans will succeed."

I've always wanted to try true Indian cusine! I lived in apartments where they would cook curry dishes and it would make my mouth water! My husband won't try anything new so I never get to go to Thai or Indian restaurants but if I could it would be a dream come true!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I've always wanted to try true Indian cusine! I lived in apartments where they would cook curry dishes and it would make my mouth water! My husband won't try anything new so I never get to go to Thai or Indian restaurants but if I could it would be a dream come true!

My husband was like that too. I complained so much and told him he was boring that now he will try anything. He calls it 'expanding the menu' he looks forward to trying the fried bugs he saw in the Awake! article a while ago :eek:

I love indian food. The spicier the better. I had a Madras last night. Here in the UK indian restaurants are everywhere. Jehovah's Witness are probably their most popular customers here in the town I live in. Over 50 of us had a gathering this past Boxing Day at one of the most popular restaurants in our town. They even made some authentic homemade dishes for us to try seeing as we were their only customers on that particular day.

I usually go for something extra hot, but I don't think they stock any super hot chillis like some super hot nagas. I have only ever had one super hot phaal that I couldn't finish which tasted more like napalm than a curry.

When I went to India/Goa for our honeymoon I loved trying new things. Tandoori chicken was amazing plus spicy vegetables for breakfast and I found it interesting that Butter Chicken was spicier than Vindhallo. The fish dishes were the best though while we were there. Thalis were pretty great too. I find each restaurant here in the UK is slightly different, as it was in India. I think each restaurant has its own base spices that it uses that makes that particular restaurant unique.

Dilip i will come round yours any time and sample some of your cuisine. Especially if you promise to get your hottest chillis out for me. My wife loves indian food too and can handle hot as well. Mmm I am thinking about having curry for breakfast but that might be taking it too far for my wife. Lol.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."