JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Supreme Court to decide if states can ban gay marriage

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3378 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday agreed to decide whether states can ban gay marriage, delving into a contentious social issue in what will be one of the most anticipated rulings of the year.

The court, in a brief order, said it would hear cases concerning marriage restrictions in Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee. The ruling, due by the end of June, will determine whether 14 remaining state bans will be struck down.

The court said it will decide two questions: Whether states must allows same-sex couples to marry and whether states must recognize same-sex marriages that take place out-of-state. The court will hear an extended two and a half hours of oral arguments in April.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0KP2B920150117?irpc=932

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Well, the law says that abortions are legal, and in Las Vegas prostitution is legal. What makes a thing scriptural is not legality.

Just a clarification - prostitution is not legal in Las Vegas. Does that mean it doesn't happen - nope. I am sure it happens in even more cities. :wink:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I found their 2 question approach interesting. They could say No to the first - states do not HAVE to permit gay marriage and Yes to the second - they just have to recognize those that are married.

It will be interesting.

Soon .....

Just a clarification - prostitution is not legal in Las Vegas. Does that mean it doesn't happen - nope. I am sure it happens in even more cities. :wink:

You are right, Brother - the 8 Nevada counties where it is legal do not include the larger cities such as Las Vegas.  Isn't it clear from these things that humans cannot direct their own step...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_the_United_States

• 4 weeks later...

They haven't deliberated yet, but this gives one an idea of where they are headed:

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday declined to block a court order requiring Alabama to license same-sex marriages.

The decision came after Roy Moore, the state chief justice, had defied a federal court decision and ordered clerks not to recognize same-sex marriages on the day they were to take effect.

Moore's office said it had no immediate comment on the Supreme Court ruling, which denied a request for a stay by the state. Justices Antonio Scalia and Clarence Thomas dissented.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/supreme-court-declines-block-gay-marriage-alabama-n302786

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

If they pass this, and I'm sure they will since this system is ran by Satan, then doesn't that make us in general in a worse condition than it was in Sodom and Gamorah? The reason I say this is because I don't believe the law permitted homosexuality however they committed these acts anyway. If so, how close we must be now to the final day.

If they pass this, and I'm sure they will since this system is ran by Satan, then doesn't that make us in general in a worse condition than it was in Sodom and Gamorah? The reason I say this is because I don't believe the law permitted homosexuality however they committed these acts anyway. If so, how close we must be now to the final day.

I don't think that makes us worse. I have yet to hear of government sponsored gang raping. I have heard of gang raping in India. :eek: in some rare instances. That would be more similar to conditions in Sodom and Gomorrah prior to its destruction.

Soon .....

If they pass this, and I'm sure they will since this system is ran by Satan, then doesn't that make us in general in a worse condition than it was in Sodom and Gamorah?

The Supreme Court ruling solely gives legal recognition and tax breaks for already established contracts between same-sex individuals living as a couple.

Personally, I don't think the heinous sins of Sodom and Gomorrah that warranted it's complete destruction were lower taxes and a piece of paper...

So when I think of it in that way we are not as bad as they were!!! Still bad and advancing in badness, but we do not have the exact badness as was in Sodom and Gamorah as of yet...scary thought actually. I think it's bad enough right now

Question, Do you really think we will have this gang rape situation worldwide as we get closer? Or is it in areas such as just Sodom and Gamorah/ sadly some areas of India?

That is so true! I'm shocked all the time. Allí can say about that is there is safety in numbers brothers and sisters. If things start happening in this way we need to stay in groups...sad, disgusting world satan provides!!!

Doesn't each state effectively have its own soverignty? So wouldn't states rights prevail as per the constitution with the state having the right to choose as it see's fit? I'm sure there must be a gay lobby that has this covered though. With all the momentum behind so called gay 'civil rights' i wouldn't be surprised if the Supreme Court somehow ruled the States as unconsitutional..

It's the other way around, federal supersedes states laws, that is why they have been fighting for this to go to the fed court to decide once and for all. Federal court is the Supreme Court where your final decisions are made.

It's the other way around, federal supersedes states laws, that is why they have been fighting for this to go to the fed court to decide once and for all. Federal court is the Supreme Court where your final decisions are made.

Hmm i know Federal Law supercedes States Law but i always thought the States had the right under the constitution to determine what was lawful or not with the supreme court only intervening in rare circumstances? Obviously a big lobby is behind this for it to make it to the supreme court. But under the constitution unless the constitution requires an amendment i don't know how States Rights can be over turned? Or am i reading/interpretating this wrong?

Edited by Modeste

When state and federal laws conflict Why does federal law supersede state law

Answer:

The Supremacy Clause (Article VI, Clause 2) of the United States Constitution declares that federal laws are the "supreme Law of the Land." Hence, state court laws are inferior so long as the federal law is valid (constitutional).

Given the split jurisdiction between federal and state sovereignty set up by the Constitution, one major point of contention is the 'in pursuance thereof' phrase in the Supremacy Clause. This means that it is not always possible to make a federal law in certain areas - that is, certain areas of law are reserved solely for the states to regulate, and any federal law in that area is unconstitutional. Defining this split of exclusive jurisdiction is the job of the Judicial Branch via interpretation of the Constitution, and has changed over time. In any case, the Constitution itself retains supremacy, so even if federal law is forbidden in certain areas, the Constitution itself always is supreme over any state law.

Here is an example:

Example of federal law supremacy

An instance that comes to mind right away is when State laws violate a person's federally enforced rights. Since the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, states are not allowed to have laws that discriminate based on race and certain other factors, even through many of the additional voter eligibility rules can be set by states. Thus, states are forbidden to set voter eligibility based on race, gender, or age (18 is mandated), but, they can set it based on prior criminal record, mental health, etc, up until the federal government passes a law on those subjects, at which point, the federal law takes precedence.

Doesn't each state effectively have its own soverignty? So wouldn't states rights prevail as per the constitution with the state having the right to choose as it see's fit? I'm sure there must be a gay lobby that has this covered though. With all the momentum behind so called gay 'civil rights' i wouldn't be surprised if the Supreme Court somehow ruled the States as unconsitutional..

No.  This issue of State sovereignty was put to rest between 1861-1865 with the Civil War.  The Federal Government is the supreme law of the land.  States may (and do) exercise limited sovereignty but must yield to Federal authority.  Sometimes the US Government doesn't choose to exercise it's authority, as in the case of medical marijuana (illegal on the Federal level, legal in some states). 

So when I think of it in that way we are not as bad as they were!!! Still bad and advancing in badness, but we do not have the exact badness as was in Sodom and Gamorah as of yet...scary thought actually. I think it's bad enough right now

Question, Do you really think we will have this gang rape situation worldwide as we get closer? Or is it in areas such as just Sodom and Gamorah/ sadly some areas of India?

I think, perhaps, we misunderstand the scope or size of the situation in Sodom.  We don't even know how big the city was.  When you compare modern gang activity in some suburbs, we might already be equal to the time when the Angels visited Lot.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to vomit if this happens. And every time this kind of subject comes up, I have to say "I love Females"

And so do many of the women who are waiting for an OK to marry other women.  :eek: 

Soon .....