JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Calendar misgivings

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3353 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hey Ivy, that looks like a desk pad. Is it yours? All the Chinese Calendars I have seen (oddly enough the Vietnamese mostly use a Chinese calendar) start on Sunday.

Seeing that is a first for me.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

There we are JWs starting yet another new trend in the Asian community. :wave:

The only Vietnamese Calendar you'll find that starts with day2:

post-272-0-01555400-1425137790_thumb.png

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I Just "bing" Chinese calendar and find some pictures of calendars who started on Monday  :uhhuh:
 and the calendar of Ho Chi Minh City International school start on Monday :uhhuh:

www.ishcmc.com/school-life/calendar.html

And, just for fun, did you know that, after the French revolution, we try a 10 days/week calendar ? :D

And Russian try, between 1929-31, a 5 days/week calendar... but a five day week is always used in Indonesia by the Javanese people...
 5 days.... I don't know if it's include the week-end :D

Edited by peper-eliot

post-1035-0-18085800-1425160585_thumb.pn

What about the weirdness of Amharic calendar with both "Western dates" as well as the traditional Ethiopian calendar dates? Hence the Ge'ez numbers do not match with the Arabic numbers.

Even on memorial and convention invitations in Tigrinya and Amharic there are two different dates, ha.

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

I Just "bing" Chinese calendar and find some pictures of calendars who started on Monday  :uhhuh:

and the calendar of Ho Chi Minh City International school start on Monday :uhhuh:

www.ishcmc.com/school-life/calendar.html

And, just for fun, did you know that, after the French revolution, we try a 10 days/week calendar ? :D

And Russian try, between 1929-31, a 5 days/week calendar... but a five day week is always used in Indonesia by the Javanese people...

5 days.... I don't know if it's include the week-end :D

Cool an English school in Vietnam.

Soon .....

I

I'm getting confused. This year our calendar is printed with Monday as the first day of the week rather than Sunday. Because of the placement of the days of the week on the calendar, it's throwing me off in a number of different ways.

For example, I was talking to a doctor's secretary this morning about getting an appointment. She said she could give me one on March 9th. I looked at the calendar, and because of where the 9th is placed during the week, it looked like it was a Sunday! But she reminded me, "Actually, the 9th is a Monday." :perplexed:

No, I don't think I'm getting senile, but it's because of where the days are placed during the week on our calendar. I think last year we had a choice of which calendar we wanted to use, the usual Sunday-Saturday schedule, or the new Monday-Sunday week. But this year there's no choice. I'm wondering what else I can do to get used to this calendar, short of going to the bank and getting a "normal" one.

Does anyone else have this problem? :help:

Eric, until you can get the situation in hand, you might try taking a high-lighter, such as is used to mark the answers in a magazine, and high light whichever day YOU want your calendar to start on.    :thumbsup:

Edited by MizPeg

The literature servant I was speaking to got the code in September, and when I asked him last night he said he couldn't find the code at all when he put in the latest order. Either the traditional style has since been discontinued, or the first code was an error and/or misreading.

Okay, thanks for the info. I'll drop into a pharmacy and get a "normal" calendar, or maybe follow one of the suggestions in this thread. (That's harder though. :no:)

You mentioned in your post about a letter that said there would be two versions available. That doesn't sound like the branch to send a letter saying there would be a second calendar, and then discontinue it afterward. Or was that just a faulty recollection on your part?

You mentioned in your post about a letter that said there would be two versions available.

The letter was read sometime in September with the rest of the yearly literature order announcements, so I'll check with the elders to see if I can get a copy, to figure out if this calendar even exists in the first place.

Edited by Stavro