JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Memorial Applause

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3313 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I would have been fine with it either way, though in our congregation, we did applaud. It seems like a personal choice, and I certainly think the Memorial falls under the category of "special gatherings" as someone mentioned earlier. Doesn't seem like there is any hard and fast "rule" in any case.

You really do learn something new everyday. I had no idea, that applauding was allowed. I've never been in... nor, heard of any congregation applauding at the Memorial.  It doesn't bother me either way.  

But, i do think it's appropriate, because our King is not dead and gone...but, alive and kicking! :ecstatic:

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"

I can't imagine not applauding.  Yes, the Memorial is a dignified and sacred night.  Yet, without Jesus Sacrifice, where would we be today?  Thanks to Jesus and Jehovah, we have a chance at life, we have a chance for our sins to be forgiven, we owe everything we have to Jehovah and Jesus, so why not applaud?

I feel applauding is perfectly acceptable.

Had a quick think on this ... when I watch conventions from other countries other than NZ ... the brothers and sisters seem to applaud a lot louder and longer than we do here.  Perhaps applauding should be done in appreciation not only for the efforts of the brothers but also to show our appreciation for Jesus our King and  the anointed who are with him at the moment. It does connect us in a way.

But then it's a solemn ceremony based on the last night of Jesus' life. I'd be fine either way I think.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

At the Memorial someone started the applause after the brother announced the reason we were there. That surprised me and I think the brother was a little startled by it. We also applauded after the talk ended. I don't remember if we applauded after the final prayer, though. (In our area many congregations applaud after the final prayer at every meeting but not usually for demonstrations.)

I would have stated that we did applaud afterwards - but after just listening to the end

of the tape the brother read the last scripture - he handed the meeting over to Elder

and that was it - no applaud...I am so glad that I had the recording - because I would

have said "yes."

We applauded ... the conclusion of the talk was about all the joy we'll have in the paradise under the reign of our Lord.

Also note that, even if it's the celebration of Jesus last night, the final song (109) is not a song who just bring you to tears.

But you know, it's hard to give satisfaction to all ...(Luke 7:32-34) 

So, no matter for me if next year we don't ^_^

Edited by peper-eliot