JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Disco Music

In Mathew 11:15, Jesus said: "Let the one who has ears listen." So, do we listen to music closely? Disco music should came and went, but it didn't. Basically Disco music has between 80-120, beats per minute and many songs has it today. When Disco came out, it came out. Do we remember these songs?

1. Love Hangover by Diana Ross. It starts slow and when the song reach 1:10, then the music gets faster.

2. Don't Leave Me This Way by Thelma Houston. Basically the beat whole song is fast, yet when you reach 2:40, then the music goes real fast.

3. You Should Be Dancing by Bee Gees. Basically the whole song is Disco. 

4 .Ladies Night by Kool and the Gang. It starts fast and the lyrics give a clue when the song will get faster and faster. At 2;20, the lyrics of the song says: "On disco lights your name will be seen. You can fulfill all your dreams. Party here, party there, everywhere. This is your night, baby, you've got to be there well". During these lyrics the song got faster, then after these lyrics the song got faster and faster.

5. Dance Dance Dance by Chic is all out Disco. Of course they were deep into this and an awesome group. Personally, they are my second favorite group too.

So, if we listen to some new music or song, just sit back and have your ears listen to the beat. Why? Because it might be Disco. :headphones: 

Edited by Dustparticle

In Mathew 11:15, Jesus said: "Let the one who has ears listen." So, do we listen to music closely? Disco music should came and went, but it didn't. Basically Disco music has between 80-120, beats per minute and many songs has it today. When Disco came out, it came out. Do we remember these songs?

1. Love Hangover by Diana Ross. It starts slow and when the song reach 1:10, then the music gets faster.

2. Don't Leave Me This Way by Thelma Houston. Basically the beat whole song is fast, yet when you reach 2:40, then the music goes real fast.

3. You Should Be Dancing by Bee Gees. Basically the whole song is Disco. 

4 .Ladies Night by Kool and the Gang. It starts fast and the lyrics give a clue when the song will get faster and faster. At 2;20, the lyrics of the song says: "On disco lights your name will be seen. You can fulfill all your dreams. Party here, party there, everywhere. This is your night, baby, you've got to be there well". During these lyrics the song got faster, then after these lyrics the song got faster and faster.

5. Dance Dance Dance by Chic is all out Disco. Of course they were deep into this and an awesome group. Personally, they are my second favorite group too.

So, if we listen to some new music or song, just sit back and have your ears listen to the beat. Why? Because it might be Disco. :headphones: 

Sorry I guess I'm confused ... whats the point ?   :huh:

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

I'm not sure what the intent of this thread is but I do appreciate the warnings the FDS gave us about disco in the 1979 Awakes

Edited by RKibel
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I'm not sure what the intent of this thread is but I do appreciate the warnings the FDS gave us about disco in the 1979 Awake

It was timely...( for the ones who were in the truth at the time )  :whistling:

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

I'm not sure what the intent of this thread is but I do appreciate the warnings the FDS gave us about disco in the 1979 Awake

The word Disco was used 194 times in 6 Awake magazines in 1979. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The word Disco was used 194 times in 6 Awake magazines in 1979. 

Excellent point my brother. Disco was tied into Homosexuality, Cocaine, and the colors was flashing around were basically the same colors when people took LSD, etc. In 1979, Newsweek magazine had an excellent article on Disco. It broke all down what was going on behind it. 

When the young ones (mostly Bethelites), and older folks come over for a pizza party we do the electric slide, the cha-cha-slide, and a few moves that the younger ones know, or make up steps as we go along. I also have a karaoke machine and sometimes the young ones bring instruments. From a 1979 Awake:  "But because true Christians recognize the very real dangers of sharing in such things with persons who do not respect Jehovah’s laws, many wisely choose to enjoy them alone or with fellow Christians."  We choose our content carefully. p.s: Van McCoy credited with The Hustle" (nearly all instrumental) died in 1979, maybe before the article came out. Line dancing is certainly not new, but songs like "Alley Cat" were danced at a much slower tempo, so when line dancing started to speed up, it was associated with hustle and bustle. If anyone has any music feedback, I would love to hear it, b/c my pizza parties are always well supported, and we usually get everyone (even non dancers, non singers), to participate. Anyone can do the "(Portuguese) Chicken Dance,"  right? I have a Disney Cd with steps, too, like the Hokey Pokey, so the smallest toddlers get to dance.  I actually have never heard the word disco at any of our get-togethers, and definitely do not have a disco ball. I'm glad this thread got started because I was baptized in 1987 and was unaware of the 1979 articles. Hey, I got married in 1980 and had my first son in 1981, so I guess I missed a lot of the surrounding craziness.

Edited by kejedo

When the young ones (mostly Bethelites), and older folks come over for a pizza party we do the electric slide, the cha-cha-slide, and a few moves that the younger ones know, or make up steps as we go along. I also have a karaoke machine and sometimes the young ones bring instruments. From a 1979 Awake:  "But because true Christians recognize the very real dangers of sharing in such things with persons who do not respect Jehovah’s laws, many wisely choose to enjoy them alone or with fellow Christians."  We choose our content carefully. p.s: Van McCoy credited with The Hustle" (nearly all instrumental) died in 1979, maybe before the article came out. Line dancing is certainly not new, but songs like "Alley Cat" were danced at a much slower tempo, so when line dancing started to speed up, it was associated with hustle and bustle. If anyone has any music feedback, I would love to hear it, b/c my pizza parties are always well supported, and we usually get everyone (even non dancers, non singers), to participate. Anyone can do the "(Portuguese) Chicken Dance,"  right? I have a Disney Cd with steps, too, like the Hokey Pokey, so the smallest toddlers get to dance.  I actually have never heard the word disco at any of our get-togethers, and definitely do not have a disco ball. I'm glad this thread got started because I was baptized in 1987 and was unaware of the 1979 articles. Hey, I got married in 1980 and had my first son in 1981, so I guess I missed a lot of the surrounding craziness.

Van McCoy was very smart. Disco crept in around 1971, with theme from Shaft from Isaac Hayes. The song open the door to Disco. If you listen very closely to Shaft; it started out slow, the between 2:39 - 3:35, it went fast, then slowed at the end. Hustle also open the door to people of dancing by themselves.Before then, most people dance as couples, the Hustle change it.

Excellent point my brother. Disco was tied into Homosexuality, Cocaine, and the colors was flashing around were basically the same colors when people took LSD, etc. In 1979, Newsweek magazine had an excellent article on Disco. It broke all down what was going on behind it. 

Now,many of them are dead or suffering from PTLSD.