JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Simple Summer Tomato Salad

When I was a kid my parents use to always keep a huge Tupperware bowl of tomato and purple onion salad in the frig.  It was so great to come in from playing outside in the hot sun and pull this out for a cold, refreshing treat.  They would take their garden tomatoes and cut them into wedges along with thinly sliced purple/red onion, and a dressing made with vinegar and oil, salt and pepper.

This is a nod to those well remembered childhood days.

Marinated Tomato Salad (A Southern Tradition)

Take 1/2 cup of light olive oil with 1/2 c red wine vinegar and chop or chiffinod fresh basil leafs. Mix with 2 minced cloves of garlic, 1 T sugar, 1 1/2 t kosher salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp of chopped fresh thyme ( I use the freeze dried in jars). Make your dressing ahead of time and let set/steep for several hours.  Cut your tomatoes into pretty wedges, and you can use chopped green onions or red onions and they pour your dressing over all.  Let set a couple of hours for the tomatoes to soak up the goodness then remove it from the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.  It is better to let the salad come to room temperature before serving.  I like this as a light lunch served with saltine crackers or have it with any summertime menu.  So good.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

When I was a kid my parents use to always keep a huge Tupperware bowl of tomato and purple onion salad in the frig.  It was so great to come in from playing outside in the hot sun and pull this out for a cold, refreshing treat.  They would take their garden tomatoes and cut them into wedges along with thinly sliced purple/red onion, and a dressing made with vinegar and oil, salt and pepper.

This is a nod to those well remembered childhood days.

Marinated Tomato Salad (A Southern Tradition)

Take 1/2 cup of light olive oil with 1/2 c red wine vinegar and chop or chiffinod fresh basil leafs. Mix with 2 minced cloves of garlic, 1 T sugar, 1 1/2 t kosher salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp of chopped fresh thyme ( I use the freeze dried in jars). Make your dressing ahead of time and let set/steep for several hours.  Cut your tomatoes into pretty wedges, and you can use chopped green onions or red onions and they pour your dressing over all.  Let set a couple of hours for the tomatoes to soak up the goodness then remove it from the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.  It is better to let the salad come to room temperature before serving.  I like this as a light lunch served with saltine crackers or have it with any summertime menu.  So good.

How many tomato's and red onions would you recommend for the amount of dressing this recipe makes?

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I make this same salad but I put Mrs. Dash seasoning and cilantro, it kicks it up a notch. I keep it in my fridge all week and when I come in from service I take I cup of low fat cottage cheese and place this salad on top with half an avocado and some ground pepper. Very satisfying and filling.