JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anyone into Photography

I have Canon equipment so I'm not sure about Nikon lenses. I have a cheap ($120 AU) 50mm 1.8 Canon lens which is great for shooting in low light and for freezing action. I'm sure there would be a Nikon equivalent. Zoom in and out by walking backwards or forwards ha ha. I have 2 toy poodles, one is faded brown and the other is black. It is very hard to get a decent shot of the black one. She  tends to  look like a black smudge with no facial details, but then again I haven't been serious about setting up a proper shot. 

A couple of DIY things, try to shoot in natural light, avoiding the harsh contrasts of the middle of the day. On camera flash is usually too harsh but you can try modifying it by taping some tissue paper or semi-translucent material over it. Setting dogs up in front of a window with good light is worth a try. Maybe using a desk lamp to highlight the face. Try to avoid camera movement especially when depressing the shutter button, try sitting it on a cushion or bean stuffed toy, book stack if hand holding is a bit shakey.

I hope we get to see your results!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127755828@N07/21107429371/in/dateposted-public/

Hoods are a good idea... For lens flair

High quality uv filters are up to you.. If you live in a sandy dusty area ... Yep

Every piece of glass added cuts light and clarity... If you use a lens cap .. And you shoot mostly inside don't worry about it .. Just get a good lens cloth

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Hoods are a good idea... For lens flair

High quality uv filters are up to you.. If you live in a sandy dusty area ... Yep

Every piece of glass added cuts light and clarity... If you use a lens cap .. And you shoot mostly inside don't worry about it .. Just get a good lens cloth

Thanks Lance that is what I needed to know. 

Another question or two as I am learning:

Should I buy a hood for my 35mm lens (looking at a used one on ebay)

And should I buy a clear filter for it too?

Yes to hood and yes to filter .... Uv filter will protect your glass from scratches

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Okay this is what I just ordered:

Nikon 35mm NIKKOR f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens-OEM hood, caps & filter

So about the middle of the month I will be able to let you all see some pics that I have done. 

Once the camera comes in, I will have about 5 days to practice before the dog show which is indoors. 

so any tips you would like to give me I will be grateful.  

I will take my laptop to the show so hopefully I will know by then how to download them and all that so I can post pics directly from the showsite. 

Set up sounds great! 

Filters work:

I dropped a heavy lens getting it out of the closet, it fell face first onto the apex of the aluminium step ladder I was on. The filter shattered but the lens was intact. YAY. I later drowned the lens in a muddy river. I am very bad and not to be trusted with equipment. :no:

As the show is indoors the light will be a consideration.

The iso setting on the camera can help with indoor shots - lower light and also movement.

It's best to have the setting as low as the light will allow to reduce blur as higher settings will begin to introduce noise or grain on the image, however noise may not be a worry unless you a looking at the image at 100%.

I take images for stock so I'm probably overly concerned about noise so just ignore.

I had a quick look on flckr at show dogs and most of the pictures display the camera's exif info. (camera settings) showing the iso, it varies from shot to shot.

You can probably forget the above if you are using automatic,

Set up sounds great! 

Filters work:

I dropped a heavy lens getting it out of the closet, it fell face first onto the apex of the aluminium step ladder I was on. The filter shattered but the lens was intact. YAY. I later drowned the lens in a muddy river. I am very bad and not to be trusted with equipment. :no:

As the show is indoors the light will be a consideration.

The iso setting on the camera can help with indoor shots - lower light and also movement.

It's best to have the setting as low as the light will allow to reduce blur as higher settings will begin to introduce noise or grain on the image, however noise may not be a worry unless you a looking at the image at 100%.

I take images for stock so I'm probably overly concerned about noise so just ignore.

I had a quick look on flckr at show dogs and most of the pictures display the camera's exif info. (camera settings) showing the iso, it varies from shot to shot.

You can probably forget the above if you are using automatic,

I use Topaz DeNoise to reduce noise if I need it which is not often these days . Good program.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Okay this is what I just ordered:

Nikon 35mm NIKKOR f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens-OEM hood, caps & filter

So about the middle of the month I will be able to let you all see some pics that I have done. 

Once the camera comes in, I will have about 5 days to practice before the dog show which is indoors. 

so any tips you would like to give me I will be grateful.  

I will take my laptop to the show so hopefully I will know by then how to download them and all that so I can post pics directly from the showsite. 

Experiment with different settings until you find desired result ...It's a learning curve from now on ...

But you have advantage with the fast lens ! F1.8 is good choice for your type of photography and being a prime lens you should have no problem with the quality photos !

Good composition and steady hands or tripod will contribute to your quality of the shots ... the more you practice the better pictures you will produce

Once a famous photographer said: First 10.000 photos are the worse ...  there is some truth in it LOL ...  so have fun

Can't wait for your photos !

How do you plan to shoot ?  Auto  ? AV ? M ?

Have you done some practical preparation as mentioned in this thread like watching the videos  etc ... ?

There was one very good suggestion about shooting selectively ... Try to imagine the final shot in your brain first

Don't be "happy trigger" shooter if you know what I mean

Think about the composition, light , golden hour light, go on your knees to change perspective etc...etc ...

I use Topaz DeNoise to reduce noise if I need it which is not often these days . Good program.

I have an old photoshop and Nik filters. I haven't tried Topaz but have heard of it. I haven't been doing much photography in the last couple of years so I'm a bit out of touch with the progress made with sensors. I do enjoy using my iPhone camera, its so light to carry and I always have it with me. I really came to resent the weight of camera + lens. So I only drag it out  when I know it will be worth it. I some need inspiration...and maybe a new lens... 

I have an old photoshop and Nik filters. I haven't tried Topaz but have heard of it. I haven't been doing much photography in the last couple of years so I'm a bit out of touch with the progress made with sensors. I do enjoy using my iPhone camera, its so light to carry and I always have it with me. I really came to resent the weight of camera + lens. So I only drag it out  when I know it will be worth it. I some need inspiration...and maybe a new lens...

Dear sister to enjoy real photography you need to think beyond tiny sensor iPhone LOL

In realation to the weight I use DSLR but also i have compact Sony RX100 which has one of the largest sensors in pocket cameras and even shoots in RAW

So there are options available to you but personally I will put up with the weight of the camera in order to achive quality shots - that's just me

Experiment with different settings until you find desired result ...It's a learning curve from now on ...

But you have advantage with the fast lens ! F1.8 is good choice for your type of photography and being a prime lens you should have no problem with the quality photos !

Good composition and steady hands or tripod will contribute to your quality of the shots ... the more you practice the better pictures you will produce

Once a famous photographer said: First 10.000 photos are the worse ...  there is some truth in it LOL ...  so have fun

Can't wait for your photos !

Have you done some practical preparation as mentioned in this thread like watching the videos  etc ... ?

There was one very good suggestion about shooting selectively ... Try to imagine the final shot in your brain first

Think about the composition, light , golden hour light, go on your knees to change perspective etc...etc ...

At the dog show I think I will shoot Auto or put it on sports. I want to be able to have it on shutter so I can get one pic after the other and hopefully catch the stride of my poodle as he is going around the ring. 

I haven't watched  a lot of videos yet but have been reading up a lot. I have to wait until my internet plan renews for the month to have enough GB to watch videos. 

Jewel asked if there is fluorescent lighting at the dog show, i am not sure so will have to wait until I get there. 

I will need to practice stabilizing the camera and following movement before the show. 

I want to blur the background, if I can, so that just my dog is in the pic. The background will just be the fencing to separate one ring from another. 

So what I have learned is that if I put my camera in Av mode then I will want my aperture number about 4-6, so when the lens comes in I will have to practice with the aperture number to see what effects I get. 

From my reading I would need to set my ISO at 800 for indoor lighting and my shutter speed I will start at 1/60 and then go up from there. 

I haven't read up on shutter speed yet. 

Trying to decide if I should take the tri-pod ringside or not, we have enough things to take ringside as it is. Crates, tables, poodles, hairspray, brushes, picks, combs, scissors, squeaky toys and treats. All for just a few minutes in the ring. lol

Trying to decide if I should take the tri-pod ringside or not, we have enough things to take ringside as it is. Crates, tables, poodles, hairspray, brushes, picks, combs, scissors, squeaky toys and treats. All for just a few minutes in the ring. lol

If you have the camera at a speed to capture movement camera shake hopefully won't be an issue. If I remember correctly sports mode is quite useful. Do you know how many shots you get in a burst? You should be able to capture a beautiful prancing poodle stride. 

I'm puffed out just reading of all the things you need to take. 

On a photo-shooting trip Rodriques Island near Mauritius

Very adventurous. Big lens over water. No camera strap worn. I see you live dangerously LOL

Jealous much? Ah... a true creative can shoot in a vacuum   :tea:

Seriously, a  wonderful place to visit. Your photos/ memories must be beautiful. 

haha, this is exactly why I need help. Ugh. 

Okay I looked up F1.8 and I get 50mm and 45mm and there is 18-35mm, so if I were spend the money on one lens for taking pics of my poodles which one would you recommend?

I would like to get used to one or two lenses for awhile and then see how creative I want to get after that. 

Given you want to shoot at shows I would presume you may be some distance away.  The problem you may have with the above lenses is that you may not get as close to the action through the lens as you would like.  There's a reason why fast super telephoto lenses like the ones you see the pros using at sports events are not cheap :-)

It is true glass is important but as a beginner I would not get too hung up on it.  If you are using the shots for personal or casual business use then I would not worry about expensive lenses until you are serious about your craft and needs.  A cheaper lens that gives you a combination of large aperture (f2.8 ideally) and some telephoto length (e.g. 300mm) will help you hone your skills for the type of environment you are shooting in.  A faster lens at the telephoto end will also help with your depth of field (i.e. the blurring you desire). 

I know lots of people love to knock kit like Sigma/Tamron but you may find that looking at this area of the market suits your budget/needs compromise better than buying a great quality lens that does not allow you to shoot what you really want.   Don't forget second hand - but be very wary of kit that could be damaged.  Ebay is better than it was as the buyer protection is very much in the favour of the purchaser but it can still be a pain to get a bit of kit and find it's not what you expected quality wise.

Lenses of the type I describe are still not cheap but you may find a better bargain moving away from a Nikon lens for this type of application.  The 50mm you linked to is fine for portraiture but you will need to be fairly close to the subject making those candid shots less easy to achieve.     

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Originally posted by normaclutter

I love my Nikon but it is old ( D50 ). I LOVE photography and wish I had more time to click. I have a hard time putting my photo's on this site.

I'm guessing because your pics are too large?

Download Irfanview and set your computer so that every image opens in Irfanview. Just accept all the options when running the program, you will never regret it. So easy to crop, do minor alterations to the pics etc.

Originally posted by TheDoorGuy

I shot photos professionally for many years...

2) equipment is less important than vision..

I have shot large format gallery shots with a 3 meg camera ... A great cook can cook on almost anything..

3) great photos are about composition.. Technique ..lighting.. and Vision..

I have to agree...

I was shooting double spread pics for a classic car magazine with a 3 megapixel camera which had a fairly good lens (the glass, right, Greg?), it became just a bit easier when I went to a 6 megapixel model.

But even that one wasn't a DSLR. Better than a cheap 'point and shoot' but not quite what a pro would use.

I have bought a DSLR now, mainly because I get tired of not being able to focus when I'm driving. Auto focus is the bane of modern photography if you ask me, little things trick you up all the time, like a small leaf in the foreground grabbing the focus, or dirt on the windscreen.

The DSLR I have bought is an Olypmus E1, it's far from new and it's just 5 megapixels. I'm simply not caught up in the megapixel race, I want good photos, not so good they can be printed razor-sharp on 25-metre walls.

I've also learned that my Olympus SP500 does have a means of disabling the auto focus, so that's a prospect for improved usage.

Edited by RaymondG

I will just make a comment on your poodle shots

A black dog is a hard subject to shoot ... Definition and detail is all about light and shadow ... so lighting your subject to get shape and detail is important

I like the catch lights in the dogs eyes and the detail in the face

What is distracting is the bright background ..

When you shoot you have to think not just about the subject but what is in the background of the subject.. Is it supporting your subject story or is it distracting ... Photos are all about telling the visual story ....

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.