JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Question for those who use tablets

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3115 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I have the problem with my Android Tablet and my android phone so I know it must be a "bug" in the app. I agree with you - it's not very time effective to have to scroll through all the words to get to the letter you need in the first place. I sent an email a few weeks ago to them about it, hopefully other's have noticed and done the same so that they know this problem exists and needs fixin'!

Hi Brigitte, I just search for the word and get the result immediately... Have you tried it?

0807ffece24ebd3b1b35350d341b7763.jpg

Yes, if I manually type in a word that I want to find in the glossary (for instance 'Satan"), I get verses in the bible with Satan in it and if I click on the tab "Articles", it does show it as being in the Glossary of Bible Terms and the Bible Words Index, but when I click on either one it sends me back to the list of alphebets (which when I click on, do absolutely nothing!)  So I'm still up a tree without a ladder!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Interesting chat with one of the elders today, about the use of electronics at the meetings. You almost get the feeling that the Society is encouraging us to all embrace the use of tablets, or android phones.They really have become very useful.

The beginning of the Internet was so the armed forces could communicate and share pages of whatever was needed. Do you think that might have some bearing on our communicationsite in the near future?

You are referring to arpanet. Yes, that was the precurser to what we know today as the internet and it was for military research. Most technological advances have come from military research. The microprocessors in your computer, the computer itself (can you say Turing Machine?) have come from the same. That is no reason not to use it for Jehovah's purpose.

Look at the video sample of the new midweek meeting. The brothers at the platform are both using tablets. Most of the brothers and sisters in the hall are using them. I used one from the platform for Bible highlights last night because it allows me to flip between references quickly.

Jehovah's organization is the largest publisher of the written word in the world. The number 1 and 2 magazines in terms of circulation are the Watchtower and Awake. No one, even the US government, prints in so many languages simultaneously. And yet, despite that, the slave asks us to download the new OD book if we can rather than order a printed copy.

Things are speeding up all the time. It amazes me; I try hard to keep up. But rest assured that the brothers (and especially Jehovah!) know just what they are doing.

<note: sometimes I wish I could spell! :)>

Edited by cmcewen

On my android phone nothing happens if I tap a letter in the Glossary. I can scroll but that isn't very helpful if I want something beginning with "s". With the Bible word Index I get nothing if I tap a letter.

In windows (10) I can use the Glossary but can not go back to the beginning only back to the main Index. The Bible words Index does not open.

I have a Samsung Tab 4 and I have the same issue as well. But it's relatively a small problem that will be resolved in the not so distant future.

My tablet is quite useful for all the reasons stated above, but I'm not willing to part with my hardcopy Bible and songbook just yet. Our COBE's iPad froze a few months ago while he was conducting a part during the service meeting. Even though it was momentary, I suspect for him it was one moment too long when you have 100+ pair of eyes staring at you. :) That small situation alone convinced me to always have my priceless gems nearby whether at the KH or in the ministry.

And yes, I still take notes the old fashioned way which works for me. And since I am older now, my eyes don't see like they use to, so I don't mind having a larger screen. (10.1)

I have a Samsung Tab 4 and I have the same issue as well. But it's relatively a small problem that will be resolved in the not so distant future.

I hate to scroll!!!!!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

My tablet is quite useful for all the reasons stated above, but I'm not willing to part with my hardcopy Bible and songbook just yet. Our COBE's iPad froze a few months ago while he was conducting a part during the service meeting. Even though it was momentary, I suspect for him it was one moment too long when you have 100+ pair of eyes staring at you. :) That small situation alone convinced me to always have my priceless gems nearby whether at the KH or in the ministry.

And yes, I still take notes the old fashioned way which works for me. And since I am older now, my eyes don't see like they use to, so I don't mind having a larger screen. (10.1)

I am sure that there have been similar experiences in many Congregations - just like, there have always been - I have seen many times when a Brother tried to turn to the desired scripture in his trusty "hard copy" Bible, just to have one or more of the signatures fall out.

One of the problems that have plagued various printings of our Bibles has been finding a way to better secure the signatures in the book so they can endure the constant/frequent use we give them. I am sure most of us have had one of those prized Bibles with all our notes and "broken in" just the way we like it, only to have it begin to fall apart - and how we were faced with the task of breaking in a new Bible.

Well, with the electronic version, you can take/move all those notes with you when you update your Bible/tablet.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~