JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Question for those who use tablets

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3087 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

That's what I figured too....that'd it just take me some time to get use to the smaller size.  Do you use a lap board or anything? Or just set it on your lap when you type?

I have used a lap board and it works well; this last CA just used it on my lap - we don't have much legroom at our CA venue, and found the lapboard to be a bit cumbersome (and risky for anyone who sits in front of me). For only one day, just putting it on my lap seemed to work okay (folded my jacket and put it under the keyboard later in the day and that raised it slightly so it worked even better.

The beginning of the Internet was so the armed forces could communicate and share pages of whatever was needed

What do you mean?

Richard, I think Sr. Peggy was referring to the DARPA network that preceded (was morphed into?) the internet. The government wanted a dispersed and wide-ranging communication web to prevent the loss of a single node taking down the communications system.

The beginning of the Internet was so the armed forces could communicate and share pages of whatever was needed

Richard, I think Sr. Peggy was referring to the DARPA network that preceded (was morphed into?) the internet. The government wanted a dispersed and wide-ranging communication web to prevent the loss of a single node taking down the communications system.

I was referring to this part of her post

Do you think that might have some bearing on our communication site in the near future? 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I had a Samsung Note 10.1 (2014 edition), the one that comes with the S-Pen.  It was pretty fun at first, taking notes at meetings and assemblies on it, but last month I sold it and bought an iPad mini 3.  My reasoning:

1.  Although the note-taking app (Lecture Notes) was excellent, the apps for PDF or epub annotating were not good compared to what Apple offers (Good Notes and iBooks).  I got sick of studying my magazines and books on the Note.

2.  It was too big for reading from the platform.  The iPad mini is a perfect size, almost like a paperback book.

3.  The JW Library app on Android is not as smooth as the iOS version.  I didn't like how there is no publications/bible/online bar on the bottom.  Having to always swipe the screen when I wanted to go to a different publication or Bible book was annoying.

4.  Android doesn't play nice with our projector system at the KH.  The iPad's Air Play plays very nicely.

Anyway, I loved the note-taking aspect of it, but the bad outweighed the good.  Plus, pen-on-paper feels real, while writing on glass just doesn't, lol.

Anyway, I loved the note-taking aspect of it, but the bad outweighed the good.  Plus, pen-on-paper feels real, while writing on glass just doesn't, lol

It's depend of the stylus and the technology... I have a surface pro 2, but the touch feeling is better on a SP3 or S3

I noticed that my JW LIbrary on my android does something that my husband's (ipad iOS9) does not do - when i look up a scripture and push the back arrow like I'm going to look up another scripture, I get a scroll bar underneath the title bar with all the books of the bible in it and i can just scroll to the next book I want - this is very handy if the next book you are going to is close by. It's easier than double clicking the back arrow and going back to entire list of bible books. So far, my husband has not been able to find this capability in JW Library on his ipad.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Here is a screen grab of what I mean:

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-10-07-17-05-45.png

Shali, yes I love this feature on Android. I use it often to switch from one scripture to another without having to "back out" to the main screen. Didn't realize iPad didn't have that feature until I was talking to another brother who has an iPad, and told him what a great shortcut that was...he looked at me like I had three heads until I showed him what I was talking about.

Shali, yes I love this feature on Android. I use it often to switch from one scripture to another without having to "back out" to the main screen. Didn't realize iPad didn't have that feature until I was talking to another brother who has an iPad, and told him what a great shortcut that was...he looked at me like I had three heads until I showed him what I was talking about.

That's not the only missing feature. Did Ipads ever get the "history" button that shows recent items that you viewed?

Still wish I knew why the links in my Bible Words Indexed (A-Z) don't work.  Think I might uninstall the app and reinstall and see if that doesn't unclog the pipes.

I use a Windows tablet. I like it because I can install the Watchtower Library and have access to all the information we have. But the buttons are way too small on my 8in tablet. 

You can had a virtual pad to do the job ^_^

http://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchmousepointer/en-us/

My sister use it on a 7" to use easily watchtower library on her little tablet... and she enjoy it​

On my 8", I use my active stylus, so no issue with my fingers ^_^ ​

Edited by peper-eliot

That's not the only missing feature. Did Ipads ever get the "history" button that shows recent items that you viewed?

JW Library on iPad does have the history function. You just hold down the Bible or Publication icon at the bottom for a few seconds and up pops your history.

I don't know much about tablets. I know that I want a larger size Samsung Galaxy Tab. I'm thinking of getting this tablet which is about $249 at my local store. Can someone look at the specs for me and tell me if it's a good deal? Thanks! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-A-9.7-1024-x-768-1080p-HD-1.2GHz-1.5GB-RAM-16GB-Storage-Android-5.0-Lollipop-5MP-Camera-Rear/43803328

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I don't know much about tablets. I know that I want a larger size Samsung Galaxy Tab. I'm thinking of getting this tablet which is about $249 at my local store. Can someone look at the specs for me and tell me if it's a good deal? Thanks! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-A-9.7-1024-x-768-1080p-HD-1.2GHz-1.5GB-RAM-16GB-Storage-Android-5.0-Lollipop-5MP-Camera-Rear/43803328

This seems to be a good tablet. I compared it with my iPad Mini 1st Gen and it's comparable to it. This will definitely keep you happy!

Has anyone else with an Android tablet had a problem with the alphebet links to the "Bible Words Indexed" and "Glossary"?  I did a total uninstall and reinstall of the app and they still don't work!

This seems to be a good tablet. I compared it with my iPad Mini 1st Gen and it's comparable to it. This will definitely keep you happy!

Thank you brother Leonardo!

@ capablewife : And you can add a micro-SD with large capacity (128go)... so no problems to download all the videos and more on your tablet ^_^

May I give you only one advise : you have only 1.5go of Ram. If you could, 2go is better.

Like this one

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Venue-8-Pro-8-Tablet-with-32GB-Memory-and-Windows-8.1/32243242

With this little dvp 8" pro tablet, you can buy an active stylus (only for dvp8 series 5000) and, as it's a windows tablet, you can install the Watchtower cd rom, or the next DVD rom

Edited by peper-eliot

I use an iPad and take notes the old fashioned way! I love the iPad for that reason. I can hand write and highlight the way I want not a forced highlight or underline. My congregation is full of android users, only a few of us with iPads. But if someone is sitting near me, when the meeting is over they are asking me "how do you do that?" I use one app called GoodNotes to take my notes on. I can add pictures, audio recording as I go. What's nice is, I take pictures of the speaker and demos, they are only on my notes and not loaded into my Photos album. My handwriting looks nice and smooth. Especially after my sister sent me a really cool sylus, Adonit Jot Script which pairs with GoodNotes. Then if I want to, I can convert my hand written notes into text.

I had a Nexus 7 in the beginning, then both that and the iPad. Got rid of the Nexus and now have an iPhone which syncs with my tablet, so everything I study on my tablet is on my phone for service if I want it.

I haven't wanted to switch my note taking to keyboard, I use too many shortcuts.

Another iOS I am using now with my iPad Air 2 is multi-tasking screen. It is so cool! I can pull over and have other screens open. At the hall with the CO visit, I could take notes and look up scriptures thru JW.org at the same time. Look up a word definition without leaving my notes or literature, or like Sunday, pull up the shipwreck of Wilhelm Gustloff in Wikipedia without leaving my Watchtower.

You gotta love it!

Has anyone else with an Android tablet had a problem with the alphebet links to the "Bible Words Indexed" and "Glossary"?  I did a total uninstall and reinstall of the app and they still don't work!

On my android phone nothing happens if I tap a letter in the Glossary. I can scroll but that isn't very helpful if I want something beginning with "s". With the Bible word Index I get nothing if I tap a letter.

In windows (10) I can use the Glossary but can not go back to the beginning only back to the main Index. The Bible words Index does not open.

On my android phone nothing happens if I tap a letter in the Glossary. I can scroll but that isn't very helpful if I want something beginning with "s". With the Bible word Index I get nothing if I tap a letter.

In windows (10) I can use the Glossary but can not go back to the beginning only back to the main Index. The Bible words Index does not open.

I have the problem with my Android Tablet and my android phone so I know it must be a "bug" in the app. I agree with you - it's not very time effective to have to scroll through all the words to get to the letter you need in the first place. I sent an email a few weeks ago to them about it, hopefully other's have noticed and done the same so that they know this problem exists and needs fixin'!