JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Real time world statistics...

Glad your back Sian -missed you too.

43508=1866-mexwave.gif My husband often uses Worldometer to get statistics for his talks it's a great site.It's scary how fast some of the stats are changing!!:scared: Another one is a bit like a Map of the Last Days',http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php# It was mentioned in a thread ages ago. The only thing you have to watch is to try not to go over the map with your mouse before you scroll down the page, as most of the details of what you are viewing are below the map - sending your mouse scuttling over the graphics part of the page tends to send the map 'all over the place'.:?

Fascinating site ...I liked the birth and death statistics

http://www.worldometers.info/

Oh wow you're back :D Welcome back.... now this site :?.... are they trying to say that these statistics are truly real time?? does this mean that every time a baby is born the hospitals register it in the system, and it electronically is sent to this website and the stat for Population goes up 1 that quick? NO WAY!! And would this be the same as saying, when someone dies at a hospital and it is official, the hospital registers it in the system as a death and it's ALSO sent electronically to this website and the "Deaths this year" goes up 1 this quick? This is unbelievalbe lol sorry but I'm quite amazed at this! It all happens this fast... wow. It's amazing how fast the population is going UP as opposed to the death tolls.

Ok, now if that's not the way these statistics are working, then maybe these statistics aren't actually real, but they are automatically calculated by the general figure of numbers for each statistic? If this is how the numbers are calculated, then that's still cool, but nowhere NEAR as nice if they are calculated truly in real time and added in real time. Which would be most accurate? true real time? or an automatic general calculation that's not so much real time? Sorry I had to ask the question, because this is quite impressive :D

EDIT: Ok I should have checked the FAQ link before running my mouth :P I think the FAQS have all the answers. Amazing sianrose! This can be very helpful in public talks as it seems very accurate.

hi everyone

good questions Marcus...

it has a link to the BBC on stats...but I do not know...the numbers whizzing around just intrigue my little brain.:D.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8552415.stm

Thank you very much Sian. Now in case many here have not seen the FAQS and how this is calculated in real-time, look at the FAQS link at the top of the page. http://www.worldometers.info/faq.php#sources

Are numbers obtained in real time? How is this possible?

Numbers displayed on the web page are obtained automatically from Worldometers’ algorithm. The algorithm itself, and the numbers included in the algorithm, are not updated in real time simply because the sources from which the data is derived are not able to provide real time updates, but only periodical ones. Worldometers’ team updates the algorithm, and the numbers and formulas herein included, on an ongoing basis as new data becomes available.

Very interesting. So it's not true real-time update, but it's still a very accurate real time PERIODICAL update. This is still very accurate but it's a periodical update which still is equally impressive to me! Obviously those "periodical" updates are lightening fast.