JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Can I Synchronize My Bookmarks and Highlights Across Devices?

I'm glad this says at this time.  Perhaps in the future we will be able to synchronize and backup our highlights.  In the meantime, with my Bible Teach book, I'm reverting (once again) to using iBooks, since it backs up my highlights and notes.  At least, I think it does.  Can any iPad users confirm this for me? 

As for the Watchtower study articles, I'm using the JW Library app for highlighting, since I only care to save my highlights for that meeting only.

8 hours ago, leoperales said:

I'm glad this says at this time.  Perhaps in the future we will be able to synchronize and backup our highlights.  In the meantime, with my Bible Teach book, I'm reverting (once again) to using iBooks, since it backs up my highlights and notes.  At least, I think it does.  Can any iPad users confirm this for me? 

As for the Watchtower study articles, I'm using the JW Library app for highlighting, since I only care to save my highlights for that meeting only.

It does, but only for the version of the book that you download. If a new ePub is released, for any reason, your annotations won't transfer over to the new book. I like to backup a copy of the ePub I use for books I want to keep in case I need to download them on a new device. 

13 hours ago, Trey said:

It does, but only for the version of the book that you download. If a new ePub is released, for any reason, your annotations won't transfer over to the new book. I like to backup a copy of the ePub I use for books I want to keep in case I need to download them on a new device. 

I have iBooks automatically backing up to iCloud.  Is this what you are referring to when you say you backup a copy of the ePub?

14 hours ago, Trey said:

Br. Tim, I found the following article re: iBooks.  Can anyone confirm if this is how iBooks works with the JW ePub files?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202602

iBooks: How highlights and bookmarks are migrated when you update a book

I understand that saving of epubs in iBooks to iCloud Drive will be implemented in iOS 9.3, btw

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

On 1/21/2016 at 9:23 AM, leoperales said:

I have iBooks automatically backing up to iCloud.  Is this what you are referring to when you say you backup a copy of the ePub?

No. I download the ePub to something other than iBooks (I use DropBox). That way if the one on jw.org updates I can get the version I use.

On 1/21/2016 at 9:51 AM, leoperales said:

Br. Tim, I found the following article re: iBooks.  Can anyone confirm if this is how iBooks works with the JW ePub files?

No. That's for books you buy from the iBooks store.

Hi Brothers and sisters.. I have found a way to backup and transfer highlights between Android devices... (sort of)...

I backup the device I want to transfer FROM with a backup program called Helium (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup)

Step 1. Make sure both devices are using the latest version of JW Library

Step 2. In Helium, select JW Library as the APP you would like to backup... 

Step 3. Select a cloud location to backup to (Drop box or similar)

Step 4. On the device being transferred to... install Helium

Step 5. Restore the JW Library app from the backup location

Note: Backup takes approximately 10 minutes..

Worked well for me... If you have any questions.. please message / P.M. me

Your Brother.. Wally. :)

As noted below, we do not allow email address or phone numbers to be posted in the public Forum. This is for your protection.

Edited by rocket

We are not supposed to list our email addresses in posts. An Admin will probably fix this before long - so, don't be surprised :)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2016 at 8:51 AM, leoperales said:

Sorry, but I have to re-hash this again.  I found the following link as well that explains how  PDF's or a book that didn't come from the iBooks store gets synced across all your devices.  Can anybody explain why it doesn't apply to our JW Epubs?

http://help.apple.com/ipad/9/#/iPad340f07b9

2 hours ago, leoperales said:

Sorry, but I have to re-hash this again.  I found the following link as well that explains how  PDF's or a book that didn't come from the iBooks store gets synced across all your devices.  Can anybody explain why it doesn't apply to our JW Epubs?

http://help.apple.com/ipad/9/#/iPad340f07b9

It does. That is a new feature in iOS 9.3 that wasn't out when this topic started. 

• 10 months later...
On 2/3/2016 at 9:33 PM, Wozza60 said:

Hi Brothers and sisters.. I have found a way to backup and transfer highlights between Android devices... (sort of)...

I backup the device I want to transfer FROM with a backup program called Helium (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup)

Step 1. Make sure both devices are using the latest version of JW Library

Step 2. In Helium, select JW Library as the APP you would like to backup... 

Step 3. Select a cloud location to backup to (Drop box or similar)

Step 4. On the device being transferred to... install Helium

Step 5. Restore the JW Library app from the backup location

Note: Backup takes approximately 10 minutes..

Worked well for me... If you have any questions.. please message / P.M. me

Your Brother.. Wally. :)

As noted below, we do not allow email address or phone numbers to be posted in the public Forum. This is for your protection.

Bump...I just saw this. I'm trying this right now. Here goes nothing!!!

1 hour ago, leoperales said:

Bump...I just saw this. I'm trying this right now. Here goes nothing!!!

Be careful, I heard that helium makes you talk funny...:D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 1 month later...
On 20 de enero de 2016 at 9:48 AM, leoperales said:

Bump...

Okay. For meetings, I have been using the JW Library app on my iPad for the last 3-4 years.

Over the years I had been able to highlight much of most of the publications. Even with the Bible, a lot have been highlighted. My bible teach and teach us book are completely studied as well. 

Recently, I brought a new iPhone. This however meant that JW Library app on my phone is completely empty of notes. I thought it was okay but I recently found a cool way for apple users.

When you connect your iDevice to iTunes on the computer, go to that device and select Apps. Under apps, you can see app data. If you tap on JW Library- you can find personal data. Move that file over to your computer.

I then connected my other device to iTunes, deleted the personal data file on that device and instead swapped it for the personal data file from my iPad.

Now, my iPhone now has all the highlighting that has been built up over the years from my iPad. I'm so happy it worked! 

(I know the above doesn't seem like clear instructions, I could perhaps do a more clear and accurate instructions later)

12 hours ago, youthintheministry23 said:

Okay. For meetings, I have been using the JW Library app on my iPad for the last 3-4 years.

Over the years I had been able to highlight much of most of the publications. Even with the Bible, a lot have been highlighted. My bible teach and teach us book are completely studied as well. 

Recently, I brought a new iPhone. This however meant that JW Library app on my phone is completely empty of notes. I thought it was okay but I recently found a cool way for apple users.

When you connect your iDevice to iTunes on the computer, go to that device and select Apps. Under apps, you can see app data. If you tap on JW Library- you can find personal data. Move that file over to your computer.

I then connected my other device to iTunes, deleted the personal data file on that device and instead swapped it for the personal data file from my iPad.

Now, my iPhone now has all the highlighting that has been built up over the years from my iPad. I'm so happy it worked! 

(I know the above doesn't seem like clear instructions, I could perhaps do a more clear and accurate instructions later)

What's the name of the personal data file?

8 hours ago, youthintheministry23 said:

I've attached a screenshot. 

Go to iTunes

Connect Device

Click on Device Home

Click Apps

Scroll Down to File Sharing

Click JW Library

The file is known as "user_data.db"

This file can then be dragged onto your desktop and then added onto another apple device.

Capture.PNG

It's good to know.

This absolutely works! Thank you, youthintheministry23! :D

I backed up my iPad Pro and copied the user_data.db file to my Mac. Then replaced the database file on my iPhone SE with the backed up one. All highlighting from the Bible, Kingdom Come book, etc. is there.

Make sure you quit and relaunch your JW Library app for the changes to take affect.

best regards,

MAJ

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

22 minutes ago, digital_dreamer said:

This absolutely works! Thank you, youthintheministry23! :D

I backed up my iPad Pro and copied the user_data.db file to my Mac. Then replaced the database file on my iPhone SE with the backed up one. All highlighting from the Bible, Kingdom Come book, etc. is there.

Make sure you quit and relaunch your JW Library app for the changes to take affect.

best regards,

MAJ

Is this possible in Android, or something similar to this?