JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sad and haunting visual of the destruction of Pompeii

Wow, just when you thought it was as bad as it was gonna get and then, boom! 

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

I saw this in this exhibit "A Day in Pompeii" in 3D, and that last scene just felt like we were being washed over by the clouds.  You can see that Vesuvius blew one third of it's top that day, and when I later visited Pompeii I tried to imagine another third on top of what now stands.  No wonder the land surrounding this area is so fertile!  Good volcanic soil,  good for growing the best tasting tomatoes, best wines, limoncello, best buffalo mozzarella, views to the sea to die for.  It was really la dolce vita, but at what price!

9 hours ago, Julsey said:

The whole thing also made me think a lot about what Armageddon might look like.

Yes, it was very awe-inspiring thinking about Jehovah creating such natural wonders able to unleash so much power.  And yet, what will be unleashed on his Great Day will be unfathomable. 

As per the historian who recounted it in graphic details "Pliny the Younger, witness to the destruction and still its most evocative describer:

You could hear the shrieks of women, the wailing of infants, and the shouting of men; some were calling their parents, others their children or their wives, trying to recognize them by their voices. People bewailed their own fate or that of their relatives, and there were some who prayed for death in their terror of dying. Many besought the aid of the gods, but still more imagined there were no gods left, and that the universe was plunged into eternal darkness for evermore."

Sounds like an apt description of Armageddon.

I sometimes imagine myself to be in dark room with other jws. We can't see anything but we hear very loud wind blowing and big explosions, maybe thunder and heavy rain. At that time, we realize we are surviving this, and everlasting life and perfectness is just around the corner with no pains or distress.

Edited by harmania

thanks .... this made me watch the documentary Pompeii:the last day

it helps you imagine and understand many things (cannot but think about the GT)

- shows (based on archaeological findings) what may have hold many from fleeing

- what may have brought others around

- how the signs were neglected

- how some were skeptical

and how they have found their end because of not doing what they should

(even an illustration of the idea - woe to the pregnant women)

Edited by Adelin

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "