JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What is nothing?

19 minutes ago, Old said:

Thank Brother Richard.

I was starting to question whether intelligent life could be found on JWTalk.

Your post removed all doubts.  

Ahh...it ain't nothing....:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I think Billy Preston summed it up...

Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you want to be with me
Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you want to be with me

Brother Richard, I was just imagining you with a microphone in your hand singing this great song and with me clapping to the beat.  :lol:

I used to tell people a riddle.  There were five clues but I would give three first to see if anyone got it.

The poor have it.

The rich want it.

If you eat it you will die.

What is it?

The last two clues were:

What's better than God?

and worse than the devil?

With those last two clues, everyone always said, "NOTHING"

I planned to contribute to this topic until I realized that I had nothing to add...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have nothing to say. But since nothing is really something I guess I do have something to say. Here goes nothing:  :confused:

We say Jehovah was the first cause. Before Jehovah began to create, can we rightly say, nothing else existed other than him alone. The scriptures teach that he is not omnipresent...he exist in a specific location at any one time. If this is true then wouldn't  the "location" he resides in have always existed too? He wouldn't have been able to create it if it was also  necessary for him to reside in it. So, is it really necessary for Jehovah to exist in a specific locations or locations? :perplexed:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

3 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

I have nothing to say. But since nothing is really something I guess I do have something to say. Here goes nothing:  :confused:

We say Jehovah was the first cause. Before Jehovah began to create, can we rightly say, nothing else existed other than him alone. The scriptures teach that he is not omnipresent...he exist in a specific location at any one time. If this is true then wouldn't  the "location" he resides in have always existed too? He wouldn't have been able to create it if it was also  necessary for him to reside in it. So, is it really necessary for Jehovah to exist in a specific locations or locations? :perplexed:

Mind boggling. :perplexed::perplexed::perplexed:

Located in a moibius? Inside is outside?  

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, kejedo said:

Nothing defines the contents of a black hole minus its infinitesimal singularity. Or maybe not. JUly 22, 1998 Awake.

I thought that Gravity existed in a black hole and was super strong , not even allowing light to escape.

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

12 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

I feel that there is an absolute nothing. This is what satan will be after Jehovah is done with it...

No physical form. No form of any kind.

No memories of. 

No mention of. 

Done. Gone.

Nothing....

Well now, won't that be something! 

:)

2 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

I thought that Gravity existed in a black hole and was super strong , not even allowing light to escape.

With all that light in the hole would you still see nothing?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, tekmantwo said:

I feel that there is an absolute nothing. This is what satan will be after Jehovah is done with it...

No physical form. No form of any kind.

No memories of. 

No mention of. 

Done. Gone.

Nothing....

Amen to that! 

But it makes me wonder. We know how when humans die the body decays but never really turns to nothing....but rather is absorbed into other elements.

What about Spirits destroyed? Does their energy or whatever they consist of completely disappear or does the energy of their spirit bodies continue in other things or go back to Jehovah?

Don't misunderstand I'm not meaning a soul that lives on.....the person is no more exist...gone.   

3 minutes ago, Old said:

With all that light in the hole would you still see nothing?

The gravity is so strong the light cannot shine forth...its absorbed. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a scientist...I just play one on JWTALK.:uhhuh:

Ot- Billy Preston, child piano prodigy aka the Fifth Beatle, wore a bad afro wig and was arrested for a serious offense against a minor male child.  He co-wrote the aforementioned tune which contains this  lyric

"I'm not tryin' to be your hero
'Cause that zero is too cold for me, Brrr"

Since he and cowriter Bruce Fisher seem to equate nothin with zero, I would be more amused if they used a division by zero equation rather than a subtraction one. Undefined is not the same as zero and zero slope is not the same as undefined slope.  (Nothing can be divided by zero in our system of mathematics.) Just saying.

2 minutes ago, John Doe said:

The concept of nothing does not exist in the physical universe. Even in the empty space there are subatomar particles. I.e. the space is filled with the subatomar particle called muon. Read more about it here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muon

Sendt fra min iPad med Tapatalk

So, the 64,000 dollar question is: did it always exist? 

If so-called space did not always exist, where did Jehovah reside before creation? Does he need some sort of "area" or some kind of "space" to reside in?

So, the 64,000 dollar question is: did it always exist? 

If so-called space did not always exist, where did Jehovah reside before creation? Does he need some sort of "area" or some kind of "space" to reside in?

It did not always exist. The physical universe is created by God, as we read in Genesis. The "dimension" (as we would call it cause we don't understand the realms God exists in) that God resides in has nothing to do with the physical universe. God exists in our universe, and outside of our universe. God is holy spirit. He has not holy spirit. We tend to have this erroneous perception that God owns the Holy spirit. That's not true, God IS holy spirit. When God explained himself to us he said that he uses the holy spirit as a helper. But it's definitely more than that. The universe is created by and off holy spirit. The fact that we live and breathe is because of holy spirit.

My dad once worked with a guy who said "See that man. I knew him when he had nothing. Now he has twice as much."

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

13 hours ago, John Doe said:

It did not always exist. The physical universe is created by God, as we read in Genesis. The "dimension" (as we would call it cause we don't understand the realms God exists in) that God resides in has nothing to do with the physical universe. God exists in our universe, and outside of our universe. God is holy spirit. He has not holy spirit. We tend to have this erroneous perception that God owns the Holy spirit. That's not true, God IS holy spirit. When God explained himself to us he said that he uses the holy spirit as a helper. But it's definitely more than that. The universe is created by and off holy spirit. The fact that we live and breathe is because of holy spirit.

Brother per, the answer to the 64'000 dollar question is: there's no way of really knowing or understanding. It's a matter of faith.

As far as saying Jehovah is the Holy Spirit that sounds somewhat like the trinity description minus Jesus. I don't think that's what you meant.

We know the HS is Gods  active force....energy that is impersonal....he sends it out to accomplish his will. It Comes from him but remember this key point....HS is an impersonal force. Jehovah is a person the person that controls that force.

Jehovah gives his HS to his servants. They are said to be filled with HS. Are they filled with Jehovah himself? Did Jehovah come down in the form of a dove at Jesus Baptism. 

I Kind of view it as a  very special kind of Versatel  tool Jehovah can use to accomplish his will. We know HS was used in creation so perhaps Jesus was allowed to use this HS as well (that is speculation on my part).

Its interesting that nothing existed apart from Jehovah before creation. So  where did Jehovah get the materials for the universe....including us?

From himself. He is an abundance of dynamic energy. Because we are technically from Jehovah in that sense, can we say we are Jehovah. When a baby is conceived in the womb and born as a son or daughter, is the child the same as he mother or the father? No. So while it's true HS comes from Jehovah there is a definite distinction.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:15 PM, Pjdriver said:

Amen to that! 

But it makes me wonder. We know how when humans die the body decays but never really turns to nothing....but rather is absorbed into other elements.

What about Spirits destroyed? Does their energy or whatever they consist of completely disappear or does the energy of their spirit bodies continue in other things or go back to Jehovah?

Don't misunderstand I'm not meaning a soul that lives on.....the person is no more exist...gone.   

Maybe their removal from Jehovah's mind, creates their nothingness?  No spirit, no existence?

Just thinking about being in that state must give them the creepies!

What do you think about time? Is it just a phenomenon that is bound to the physical? This would seem to make sense to me with Jehovah having no beginning or end but then when you consider that from Christ onward all spirit beings had a beginning. How can you have a beginning if that beginning is not a point in time? Maybe there is time in the spirit realm but it is a very different thing to physical time. Time in the physical universe seems to be nothing more than matter moving through space. Interesting.

The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of the stupid is in the house of rejoicing. (Ecclesiastes 4:7)

Another question I have is do you believe that the universe has an edge? It makes sense to me that it does. Also if it is expanding, what is it expanding into? Absolutely nothing? Jehovah himself? The spirit realm? I don't see how it can keep expanding forever because if things get too far apart I would imagine the laws of physics starting to break down. The concept of a finite universe that breaths in and out seems logical to me with us being in a breath out phase at the moment.

The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of the stupid is in the house of rejoicing. (Ecclesiastes 4:7)