JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

1812 8th graders questions....

Ok no problem. I'll have to look for it this time, because I wasn't really looking for it in the first place.  But I'm sure i'll find it. 

The questions presented were the sort that the children of today would have a problem with, though it certainly didn't need a genius to answer. It's just that I feel children today are being pampered in education. They complain about the work in class, homework, etc. Even the parents are complaining about the work their children are expected to master. It's ridiculous! No wonder, as a whole, children today can't even fill out an application for whatever. 

The War of 1812. The first war that the US lost :pistols:. Most in the US today can't answer that correctly. :shrugs:

( If the US had won then Canada would be part of the US. )

Wasn't that the war in which drunken British soldiers burned the US presidential palace now called "The White House"? :oops:

This was after US soldiers burned down the government buildings in York ( now part of GTA )X(

'Jackie Kennedy was supposed to have scrapped layers of paint off and found burnt layer. Maybe just urban legend.':confused:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

In my small opinion, all wars are useless, but if I remember correctly, the War of 1812 was particularly so. If US independence was in 1776, why was the war of 1812 necessary? I consider it part of the Revolutionary WAr.  In short, the settlers wanted British soldiers to stop entering US ships. The KIng of England had already signed an edict agreeing to this, but the newly formed (forming?) nation enlisted their indigenous allies to attack British Vessels before receiving the King's response. The treaty of Ghent reiterated the KIng's edict, in 1815, and previous lines were still intact.  That's my off-the-top-of-head synopsis.

I was trying to give my students some perspective once, and mentioned that Benedict Arnold may have been termed a traitor to the US, but would have been a Patriot to the MOther Land of England (even though born in CT.) Classroom full of blank stares and students' questioning: Who was Benedict Arnold?

Guess there was no reason to bring up Old Hickory. Old Ironsides was still in Boston Harbor last time I was in Boston. It was one of six frigates.  That's not a euphemism. It should go up there with Shitake mushrooms.   Your thread-hopping Sis

Edited by kejedo

Luezette, you got an A. Offbeat Topix got an F. Their 1812 quiz was taken from a 1912 Bullitt County Kentucky final exam, which is a museum piece. Even if just a typo, 50 questions is not a quiz. :raspberry:

According to a different 1895 exam (from Kansas,) an author of one of the parts of this test indicated that it was for high school graduates. 

On 6/6/2016 at 8:27 PM, pnutts said:

The War of 1812. The first war that the US lost :pistols:. Most in the US today can't answer that correctly. :shrugs:

( If the US had won then Canada would be part of the US. )

Wasn't that the war in which drunken British soldiers burned the US presidential palace now called "The White House"? :oops:

This was after US soldiers burned down the government buildings in York ( now part of GTA )X(

'Jackie Kennedy was supposed to have scrapped layers of paint off and found burnt layer. Maybe just urban legend.':confused:

I cannot fathom Jackie Kennedy scrapping anything off of anything!

On 6/6/2016 at 6:27 PM, pnutts said:

Jackie Kennedy was supposed to have scrapped layers of paint off and found burnt layer. 

Which hat would she wear for something like that?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D