JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Real, Made From Scratch, Baked beans

I love baked beans. They can be a meal by themselves or with franks. I've looked for recipes but generally they will begin with Van de Camps pork-n-beans or Bushes baked beans. How can you call it made from scratch if it starts out premade? Perish the thought.

So I found a great recipe, and it's completely from dry bean! I have home canned black beans and that's what I'm using. Lower glycemic and already cooked. They're a tougher bean so I think they'll be perfect for this. 

http://www.tasteofsouthern.com/baked-beans-recipe-from-scratch/

Some of the comments at the bottom of this recipe had some great alterations, one is using less sugar and BBQ sauce instead of catsup, I make my own BBQ sauce so I think I'll go with that, not so sweet.

Anyone else make baked beans from scratch?

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Read the recipe over. Looks interesting. Now to figure out how to save it. Always a problem. With so many recipes on the Internet. I usually end up,doing screen shots. I know, eventually I do print them! Thanks.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

2 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

Read the recipe over. Looks interesting. Now to figure out how to save it. Always a problem. With so many recipes on the Internet. I usually end up,doing screen shots. I know, eventually I do print them! Thanks.

Do you look at Pinterest? I just PIN the recipe to my board. I've copied so many recipes, filled 2 binders, but it's easier looking at Pinterest. Plus they're all sorted into categories. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Here's how the beans turned out. Mighty delicious. And the black beans are perfect. They aren't mushy but not firm either. And the flavor!! Wow!

baked beans stirred.jpg

Edited by bagwell1987

12 hours ago, Omo_Yeme said:

Looks delicious.  I love beans but it's a pain to cook them during hot weather. (Speaking of which, Isn't today the 1st day of Summer?) Yay!!

I do agree with that Sandra, sometimes I just use the crock pot but with this I wanted to use the big cast iron pot. I love the way it cooks. 

Speaking of hot, I have a self-cleaning oven and need to clean it :praying: but I'm terrified of it, it gets so hot, over 900! It's my plan for tomorrow as it will only be in the 60's here and all the doors and windows can be open.

If you never hear from me again let it be known I blew up the house!:scared:

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

I do agree with that Sandra, sometimes I just use the crock pot but with this I wanted to use the big cast iron pot. I love the way it cooks. 

Speaking of hot, I have a self-cleaning oven and need to clean it :praying: but I'm terrified of it, it gets so hot, over 900! It's my plan for tomorrow as it will only be in the 60's here and all the doors and windows can be open.

If you never hear from me again let it be known I blew up the house!:scared:

:HINT:. Do touch-up, then mark November as the :OVEN CLEANING DAY:.       

17 minutes ago, MizPeg said:

:HINT:. Do touch-up, then mark November as the :OVEN CLEANING DAY:.       

Ohhh sissy, I did that already. I'm ashamed of my oven it's so bad. And I can't 'clean' it the conventional way because it's self-cleaning. Grrr

Cheryl,

Those beans look so GOOD...I can literally taste them...sort of!  I would sure enjoy them on a

cool day in the fall...with my old cast iron skillet full of home made cornbread...I consider that

a great and memorable meal...:D....P.S.  don't forget plenty of butter.

nanceebgd