JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Exercise and health

Though we are busy people, what is your daily routine for your healthy life?

I am 39 and I for my part go for a daily cycling for 3 kms and play shuttle( badminton) for two hours/4 days . And some usual warm ups and squats etc.

Also i take three pieces of almonds along with 5 dried grapes daily.

Also i drink water which has been stored in a copper vessel for minimum 8 hours.

Fruits and greens have to be improved.

Non-veg once a week( as i am obese).

6-7 Sleeping hours. And half an hour to one hour afternoon nap.

How and what do you do to keep healthy.?

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

It's very difficult to balance good exercise routines,healthy eating, responsibilities of working and then the truth as well isn't it?

I usually keep my calories to 1000-1500 a day, was difficult to begin with, but because ive made lifestyle changnes rather than speicific diets, I'm startig to really enjoy my new foods and don't miss the old ones. Cut out refined sugar, bread, (i'm not a lover of potato anyway), not so much coffee and only eat meat a max of three times a week. Cut down on my fruit intake which was the hardest as fruit is most favourite convenient food. Still eat bananas once in a while and berry fruit. 

Like you I have a helping of almonds, walnuts and dried cranberries each day. Exercise? Field Service ... work ... and housework.

(Funnily enough someone who does housework consistently throughout the day burns more calories than going to the gym for a short but intense workout) 

Also sitting there doing nothing burns between 60 and 90 calories an hour - depending on your size, so if you find yourself in a job that doesn't enable a lot of exercise ... keep your calories down. 

LOVE badminton and pingpong but don't play it much  your cycling would be good though and very beneficial.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

4 hours ago, dilip kumar said:

Though we are busy people, what is your daily routine for your healthy life?

I am 39 and I for my part go for a daily cycling for 3 kms and play shuttle( badminton) for two hours/4 days . And some usual warm ups and squats etc.

Also i take three pieces of almonds along with 5 dried grapes daily.

Also i drink water which has been stored in a copper vessel for minimum 8 hours.

Fruits and greens have to be improved.

Non-veg once a week( as i am obese).

6-7 Sleeping hours. And half an hour to one hour afternoon nap.

When I wake up I drink warm water with lemon (a lot of lemon) with cinnamon and Cheyenne pepper. DAILY without compromise.

Half and hour later I have breakfast.

Twice or at least once a week I use gym for cardio (1hour each session) and Sauna.

I do I little of swimming as well.

Cutting down on sugar ...  (i love cheesecake though :confused: )

I am very active in the ministry and the congregation so finding time is not easy .. but I have cut down TV watching .   

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I think, brother Greg if your base diet is a sound one without sugar, then your body should be able to cope with the odd cheesecake (and if you had one I baked or made up it would certainly be 'odd'). It's when your body is saturated with sugary stuff it doesn't react right. Jehovah did make sugar and honey - as part of a balanced diet. - although this refined stuff is ugh.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I heard a little wine was good for your health so I'm planning ahead, I'm about three years ahead of schedule. :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, dilip kumar said:

I try to eat healthy but I don't do a good job

I have a treadmill and I try to use it several times a week but the spirit is willing and the flesh is lazy. The only exercise I get lately is trimming the bushes at the KH.

I take a probiotic every morning to help my digestion.

I don't drink soft drinks, just water, coffee, tea and wine.

I have a cup of herbal tea every night to ensure I'm hydrated

I eat 3 Brazil nuts each day for the selenium

I take a good daily vitamin every morning...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

I get high, and do heavy metal, need to do more tho

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ok, so you do chin ups and lift weights...

☺ 

Here is what I do to stay healthy. First of all I try not to worry about it.

I have reached an age when my Doctor no longer advises exercise. Current advice is "Just be active for at least 15 minutes a day". I like that. I never exercised anyway. I have always been active, just didn't like exercise for exercise's sake. When we first move here I would walk on the beach every day, now I look at the beach every day (unless it is foggy.)

I do make an effort not to eat anything  labeled: healthy, low carb, low fat, sugar free, salt free,  gluten free, 'good for you',  'tastes like butter', low salt, salt free, sulfate free, no artificial flavors, contains recommended daily vitamins, statins ,  Probiotics, 'like Mom use to make",   any ......... substitute. My daily bacon is pig sourced, I drink water only when I am thirsty; red meat only when I can afford it; try to get 10 hours sleep each day, try to stay off the computer for at least  15 minutes a day (see opening comments.)  Blood pressure is good, chloresterol OK. And I like my wine.

Despite all the care I put into staying healthy I do not advise any one to follow my diet and exercise regimen.

Somewhere along the line something has caused me to have  Arthritis,  Gout, Paget's Disease of the Bone, Gurd, Cataracts and probably the most serious Congestive Heart Failure (responding to treatment at this time, thank you). Oh yes, I almost forgot, I found my first skin cancer this week.

I get 75% of my nourishment from the 16 prescription pills I take each day. They aren't too bad, but I wish they were salted.

(The only part of this I made up is the part about salt on my pills.) 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

6 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

No...I'm an Ironworker by trade

Ok, you just got my brothers attention...

Yes milk has more benefits that most people think - your father is wise dilip. In a BBC Documentary i watched very recently it confirmed what I already knew and these below are some of the interesting things I learnt, about milk and some other things.

Milk:

Out of Coffee, Water, Fruit Juice, and Milk ... looking for a fluid to rehydrate quickly ... one would think water was the effective at hydrating you, but it was milk that won out. It also contains a lot of vitamin B12 and raw milk is easily digestable even amongst a large amound of those who say they are lactose intolerant. Not counting the calcium intake. 

Other things I learnt:

They did a survey on different breakfasts ... there was a cereal breakfast with fruit, fruit and yoghurt and dare I say it - bacon and eggs ... sorry dilip this might just have derailed your thread ... guess what comes out on top for being the best breakfast?

GRILLED bacon and eggs ... why? Because of the content of the protein, it is slowly released throughout the morning, and people who have bacon and eggs are less likely to snack and they even have less for lunch so their calories overall for that day are less than those who have yoghurt and fruit as they tend to snack mid morning and are hungry at lunch so eat more.

Eggs: What are the most healthy way of eating eggs?

Fried? Boiled? Poached? Scrambled? Or lets say which one is the most unhealthy?

Scrambled. Because of the butter/milk content. Fried eggs are quite healthy because a whole egg cannot take in oil .. as long as it's drained you don't eat oil when eating a fried egg. But boiled and poached remain the most healthy.

Brocoli - what is the best way of cooking brocoli (and other vegetables I guess with Vitamin C).

Top way of cooking brocoli is steamed, then stir-fry and microwave comes next - worst way is boiling. As they are in water too long along with prolonged heat which kills any Vitamin C - the other methods are minimal contact with water and heat.

Pearl barley  being a fraction of the cost of Quinoa ... but actually achieves the same thing.

Same goes for berryfruit like strawberries verses Goji Berry, much less expensive and the benefits are the same.

Chia Seeds - buy ordinary pumpkin, sunflower and linseeds for the same benefit at a lower cost.

Anyway thats what I learnt this week. 

My step tracker indicates I've walked 119 km in about a month I think it is, that's not a lot really considering you're supposed to do 10,000 steps per day just to maintain weight.  I'm currently logging about 5,608 steps per day, with several 10,000.... the day of our convention I logged 10,000 steps and 21 flights of stairs just in the morning lol.  

I'm feeling less fatigued these days now that I'm taking a multivitamin daily, and working on sleeping normally.  This has been a challenge due to increased stress in our household and the addition of my grandchildren to the mix.  

So long story short, not a lot of exercise except for a brisk walk over the lunch hour.  A co-worker often joins me and we have some interesting bible discussions and speak of children.  She was raised in an overly religious environment and is quite traumatized by how overtly religious her Mom is.  Myself, I try to keep the conversations light, non-judgmental and positive while planting seeds on these walks. 

12 hours ago, dilip kumar said:

I also ensure to take milk regularly. My father ,who is 76 + ,is healthy with a good eyesight and a good appetite, taught me this.

What kind of milk?

Cow, sheep, goat or something else?

On 7/10/2016 at 3:54 PM, Tortuga said:

I don't drink soft drinks, just water, coffee, tea and wine.

I also drink coconut water occasionally..