JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wierd Experiance

4 minutes ago, Precision said:

Great place to live. but the weather in the fall and winter... relentless. And the hours...fatigued and exhaustive.  The fishing right now is not so great. a lot of the Tribal and sports fisheries are shut down because of the drought conditions from last year. Lots of fingerlings didn't survive. 

5 minutes ago, Precision said:

Great place to live. but the weather in the fall and winter... relentless. And the hours...fatigued and exhaustive.  The fishing right now is not so great. a lot of the Tribal and sports fisheries are shut down because of the drought conditions from last year. Lots of fingerlings didn't survive. 

I hit 'like' but that doesn't really sound all that good. That's sad. It will be nice to see it some spring, when things are new again. ...

5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

>:D< Been there, done that.

It doesn't have anything to do with this topic but I know what you are saying. I've been on both ends of the cable myself a few times...

Yeah, I  know you have. ..it's just the price we pay for the times we live in...

Yeah, lol, Dusty is probably wondering what happened to his thread...haha, just chalk it up to a 'wierd experiance'....

Got to be careful around cranes. Posted this a while back, but if fits the wondering of this topic.

Good thing nobody was inside.

Same project, lost two men a year later.

portipotti1.jpg

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

In keeping with the direction this thread has taken:

I have never done "high steel", "rigging" or any other of that type work (and, no, I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night) - but, I have known a few Brothers who have.

One of those Brothers was an elevator installer when he was younger. He was telling me that, since the elevator shaft must be built as the building goes up but the elevator is not installed till much later on, many of the people building the high-rise will treat the shaft hole like a giant trash shoot/can and that he had to clean vast amounts of all sorts of debris from the hole before he could begin his work. One day he had a "rookie" working with him. The rookie did not have his hard hat on. The Brother told him he HAD to wear it because too may people were used to tossing trash down that hole. The rookie got his hat and out it on. He said the rookie did not have the hat on for more than 5 minutes when a 2x4 bout 3 feet long came dropping down the shaft and landed right on the head of the rookie - he saw stars! The Brother said he would have been dead had he not put the hat back on.

Another of his experiences was after he became a State Elevator Inspector. He went to a new TV transmitter tower to inspect the elevator it had in it. The tower was quite tall. The elevator went up the center of the tower almost 1500 feet. He had to ride it to the top, non-stop. Then, ride it to the bottom non-stop. After that he had to ride it back up and hit STOP at least once and do the same thing on the way down. While he was at the top he took some pictures ... the ones of the parking lot made the cars, trucks and buildings look like toys. It all passed and he gave the certificate. The following week a really bad storm hit with really high winds - the entire tower blew down :eek: He said he was sure glad they didn't get those winds when he was up there.

An experience like that would sure wake you up .... there, now we are back on topic - I think

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I have had a number of welding certifications, one of which allowed me to weld on elevator shafts. I have done 2. The trash hole is a fair description,  one site was bad, the second one was all my crew and it was clean and safe.

Old, what happened with the sauna? ...my tablet screen doesn't show me enough details. ..I do know that back in the early '80's those things were about $1,300 bucks...

It will be on topic,  it looks like it qualifies as a 'wierd experiance'..

20 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

I have had a number of welding certifications, one of which allowed me to weld on elevator shafts. I have done 2. The trash hole is a fair description,  one site was bad, the second one was all my crew and it was clean and safe.

Old, what happened with the sauna? ...my tablet screen doesn't show me enough details. ..I do know that back in the early '80's those things were about $1,300 bucks...

It will be on topic,  it looks like it qualifies as a 'wierd experiance'..

Potty rental company supplied a unit to hoist to the roof of the Kingdome, complete with rigging. Cable clamps on backwards. Good thing it was going up  after cleaning!

Detail doesn't show as it was a Polaroid picture.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

30 minutes ago, Old said:

Potty rental company supplied a unit to hoist to the roof of the Kingdome, complete with rigging. Cable clamps on backwards. Good thing it was going up  after cleaning!

Detail doesn't show as it was a Polaroid picture.

Yeah, that could be nasty. ..

You would think a company would know how to rig their own product. 

• 2 weeks later...
I wish I could sleep a whole night thru, not the naps that I get during the night.  

I  guess I  should be happy,  not everyone can have 2, two hour naps every night,  with an hour break between them..

That makes me special,  right?...default_biggrin.png

(go ahead, the door is open for anybody:raspberry:)

Sounds like my schedule

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah,  you wouldn't walk away from one like that. 

It has been my misfortune to see a couple of men make that long step to the ground.  I  hope I can be there to welcome them back. ...

I was always very careful around cranes, especially so if I was in the cab. I  made it a personal policy to stay very much involved in what was going on outside and if someone looked over at me I would raise both hands, like 'hands up' just so they could visually verify I wasn't doing anything.  I wouldn't either,  unless signaled to move.

I got my hand smashed once because Boomer decided to help me by lowering the hook. I was having some trouble getting the hook and cables to cooperate and he figured to give me some slack. ..he almost got yanked outta the cab for that one, but I had a sore hand---didn't need two of them. ...

I run the crane at the company I work for. Many times I show both hands so they know I'm not doing anything. My boss will not use a tag line, so I put the object right where the connector who is in the safest position is. If one is in the basket, he gets it. I also will tap a column to get a little spin in it so it doesn't just dangle there.

8 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

I run the crane at the company I work for. Many times I show both hands so they know I'm not doing anything. My boss will not use a tag line, so I put the object right where the connector who is in the safest position is. If one is in the basket, he gets it. I also will tap a column to get a little spin in it so it doesn't just dangle there.

Yeah, tricks of the trade...it impresses people in the know when you get the timing just right,  the spin and the swing in harmony. 

People that ain't got a clue think you're sloppy, we can tell a pro when we see one.

That tower, that you?..

I've run some fair sized booms but never ever even been up in a tower. Sure would like to someday. .

2 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

I did learn to run a tower. Left joystick runs your trolley and slewing, right is hoist. It's easier than hydraulic

When I went thru the apprentice program in the Operating Engineers they had a tower at the training site. The day my group was scheduled to go they cancelled because of wind. Never had another opportunity. Would go up in a heartbeat. 

Most of my I.U.O.E. work was on dirt spreads, that experience came in handy when hangin iron...wish I had a way to use all that now. Oh well,  new system soon...:thumbsup:

When I went thru the apprentice program in the Operating Engineers they had a tower at the training site. The day my group was scheduled to go they cancelled because of wind. Never had another opportunity. Would go up in a heartbeat. 

Most of my I.U.O.E. work was on dirt spreads, that experience came in handy when hangin iron...wish I had a way to use all that now. Oh well,  new system soon...

We will show them how it's done